Is too little really a reason for not losing weight???

Options
Hi All

Can too little calories genuinely stop you losing weight?? I weigh in once a week and this week haven't lost any weight at all. Surely any deficit should cause a weightloss (even if some of you think it might be an unhealthy one) so eating less than my calories should surely mean there is some loss?? How the heck can eating more mean i will lose weight??

Help!!! I don't understand ;-(

x

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question about how this works, as it doesn't make much sense to me either. However, I do think there is some truth to it. When I hit my goal weight, I increased my calories to what I thought was maintenance. It wasn't - I lost weight even faster when I increased my calorie intake, and ended up 10 lbs below goal when I finally leveled off.

This by any means isn't scientific evidence that increasing calories will cause you to lose weight - it's just what I've experienced.

I would love to hear from others who experienced the same thing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that when I dropped my calories down to 1200-1400/day and was working out 6 days a week I plateaued for two months. Upped my calories to 1500 and started dropping again. Now I'm closer to 1800 and still losing.
  • beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm just too scared to try incase i put weight on and i don't trust how many calories it says i am burning
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm just too scared to try incase i put weight on and i don't trust how many calories it says i am burning

Simple solution: get a Heart Rate Monitor.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can try increasing the calories slowly. Eat 100 more per week until your body gets to a more comfortable spot. But really, if you're scared about gaining weight now then what are you going to do when you reach your goal and need to switch to maintenance? Are you going to under-eat for the rest of your life or do you want to learn good, healthy habits now so that you don't have to?
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The problem is on this sight we stress too much of a calorie deficit and for those of us who understand math, that should be less is better. But in terms of metabolism it does not mean that at all.

Your body adapts to function on less calories if you let it. It is not a starvation mode but a more efficient energy mode. In other words your BMR gets reduced. This was great when we were hunting for food and having to survive in harsh conditions. Today it does really nothing but cause metabolic resistances and weight gain.

That is what happens when you constantly put your body in a serious calorie deficit and make it go lower and lower and do nothing to improve your metabolism. People need exercise and macro nutrient balance to help fight this.

A women at 160 lbs should be able to maintain quiet easily on 1600-1800 calories a day. But if you have metabolic resistances your body will gain at that amount. The only way to fix it is to put the scale in the closet a few months, change your eating to more protein and fat and less carbs and go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week. Eat the calories that MFP tells you, but be sure to eat up your exercise calories and move your body as much as possible, and get plenty of protein and fat. IT is possible to reset your BMR (I did it), but it takes work.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    This involves a bit of research, some nutrition knowledge, a long-term plan, and tweaking.

Mostly, tweaking.

If you use the tools here and they work the first time, good for you. If they don't, start studying and reading and you may find you need to increase your food intake.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recommend to use the mirror more as your guide than scale alone. Water retention can really play a role in any weight fluctuations during a weigh-in.

If you happened to eat a carb dense meal the night before your weigh-in, you'll be carrying alot of water the day after. Likewise, if you eat less carbs the day before , you're going to hold alot less water.

I think the scale should be 1 tool among other to measure progress. I personally like using the mirror and how my clothes fit (or how it doesn't fit me anymore).

Conclusion: stop worrying about "weight" and worry more about how you look and feel.
  • beccib2
    Options
    Cheers guys..

I have already lost 4stone 1lb (so thats what.... 57 lbs) but hit a plateau of losing so wanted to change it up a bit, logged what i normally eat and exercise on here just to see out of interest what my calories were as never counted before, so just takes some time to understand how eating more than i was eating before to lose weight, will help it start back up again when theoretically i am smaller so if anything should need less........
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can try increasing the calories slowly. Eat 100 more per week until your body gets to a more comfortable spot. But really, if you're scared about gaining weight now then what are you going to do when you reach your goal and need to switch to maintenance? Are you going to under-eat for the rest of your life or do you want to learn good, healthy habits now so that you don't have to?

QFT....

I always worry about these ladies who seriously under-eat...if they can't wrap their minds around the fact that if they're exercising 5-6 days per week, their maintenance is likely around 2300 - 2400 calories...and they're worried about gaining if they just net to 1200...yeah...gonna pretty much be screwed at maintenance.
  • beccib2
    Options
    Well maintaining doesn't seem to be an issue for me does it......
  • beccib2
    Options
    The point im trying to make is im doin no less or more than when the weight loss was working for me so u take into consideration maths and you think hey im 50 pounds lighter therefore my body needs less food than it did before surely??? so im just confused as to how upping calories work for weight loss when you'll be eating more than you did to lose the weight in the first place....
    sorry if it makes me sound dumb like but i just wanted to understand how.... an anorexic doesn't increase their calories to lose weight..... you see where im coming from???

Whoopie for all you successfully at target, but some people haven't spent years studying this stuff and kind of need it explaining to them

don't worry about me being at target, i seem to manage maintaining perfectly well thanks, im after help getting there but would also like to understand how it works and not just do as im told!!!!
  • beccib2
    Options
    Thanks - i'll have a read through :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This is all good info and I'd encourage you to read it since it sounds like you know you have an unhealthily large deficit.

I would say though that one week is not a good gauge of anything. Weight loss isn't linear and you're not going to lose every week. Water retention, hormones, and food in your digestive tract can all throw off a weekly weigh-in.