It is very tough to eat healthy in New York!!!

Options

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If only there was somewhere to buy fruit in NYC! Alas.

And how lucky for those of us who live outside the mecca that is NYC. I live in Minneapolis, which, as you know, has no delicious food at all. No amazing restaurants, food trucks, or pastry shops. Not a one.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You forgot Cronuts.
    I have yet to successfully get my hands on one of these highly sought after divine treats. I'm so sad. :(

I hear they're amazing.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Theres delicious tempting food everywhere, that is not an excuse.

very few places on Earth have what NYC offers.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Uh...we have food here, too. What's the difference?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Uh...we have food here, too. What's the difference?

isnt London a world class city? my guess is they have great food selections too. but do you think you can get the same food in Bismarck, ND? the answer is no.

the point of the thread is that places like NYC, London etc...have much more tempting food choices than just about anywhere else.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    God thats gorgeous! One day I'll get to visit NYC one day.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    NYC is a walking city.

those of us that drive have the true struggle.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some of you really know how to take a light hearted, slightly amusing thread and turn in into a downer.

One of the great advantages of being a vegetarian in Tokyo is that I can't eat most of the food (due to their obsession with sticking fish in pretty much everything) and their desserts suck. To put in in perspective my favourite dessert in Tokyo is cake from Costco. Yep, that's the best there is.

It does help.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Yeah, I almost licked my screen when I saw that blackberry bagel thing.
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    It's only hard because you're making it hard.
    No one is going to force garbage down your throat.
    If you want to eat healthy, you'll find the options.
    If not, you won't. It's that simple.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    But where is the pizza?
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh and when I did visit NYC the cupcakes were the size of a cereal bowl. Those things were crazy! Constant access to those would NOT be a good thing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Oh and when I did visit NYC the cupcakes were the size of a cereal bowl. Those things were crazy! Constant access to those would NOT be a good thing.

Huh, funny--whenever I walk past Magnolia and see that line, none of the people in it look like locals. Now it's beginning to make sense.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    haha I went nuts when I first moved here. Pizza place right below me, delicious places on every corner. I've finally learned a little self-control; just a little though
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some of you really know how to take a light hearted, slightly amusing thread and turn in into a downer.

One of the great advantages of being a vegetarian in Tokyo is that I can't eat most of the food (due to their obsession with sticking fish in pretty much everything) and their desserts suck. To put in in perspective my favourite dessert in Tokyo is cake from Costco. Yep, that's the best there is.

It does help.

OK, I hear you on the stealth dashi in everything--it does make being veggie difficult (and when I lived in Tokyo I thanked God that I don't have the shellfish allergy the men in my family have). But cake? It's better in Tokyo than in NYC. And I can't imagine how they'd be hiding any fish in it...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    move to Canada.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    And another image:

diabetes-obesity.png

(Yes, I am aware that obesity is correlated with poverty, and this map could just as easily be an income map. But NYC still has considerably lower obesity rates than other parts of the US.)
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    man i would love to be able to stroll down to Korea Town for dinner tonight.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Where exactly can you eat? I think it was you that was complaining that Miami had only fried foods too. If not, I apologize, but I really don't think it's that hard to find a balance.
  • juliebirving
    Options
    There are also a gazillion places to buy salads here.... and lots of different combinations. Most are healthy as long as you get a lowfat dressing, and maybe cut out cheese or carbs. I have been hating rejecting the free bread that comes with many of them though:)