Macros Question

Options
I have custom set my Macro's, but I don't know how to set them properly. I am 169.2lbs, 5ft 8.5" and I work out 5 days a week. My calorie intake is set at 1800. What should I set my Carbs, Protein and Fat to be? I lift 2-3 times a week and the others I do cardio.

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The "rule" that I've been hearing is between .8 and 1.5 percent of your weight. That said, MFP makes it difficult to be exact. Again, the "rule" that I've been hearing and seeing around here is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I am NOT an expert and I've just been following what other folks on the boards have been saying and it seems to work.

However!!! it depends on what you need, really. Mine are set for 40/30/30 and it really works well for me, but I have a very sedentary day and I strength train only as I feel like it - and probably not enough....

Protein is key, next comes fats, then let the carbs fill in where they can?
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • utvol1982
    utvol1982 Posts: 9
    Options
    Best advice i can give to anyone when it comes to Macros/Fitness is check out Omar Isuf on Youtube.

90% or better of the people broadcasting fitness channels are crap but he is one of the few that's legit. Also he has Free Macro calculators for Gaining Size / Muscle , Cutting / Losing weight and for Transitioning.

Anyone who reads this i highly recommend him for EVERYTHING Fitness related. Below is the weight loss calculator but it's easy to find whatever you need of his just by googling it.

http://omarisuf.com/cutting/

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The "rule" that I've been hearing is between .8 and 1.5 percent of your weight. That said, MFP makes it difficult to be exact. Again, the "rule" that I've been hearing and seeing around here is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I am NOT an expert and I've just been following what other folks on the boards have been saying and it seems to work.

Well, there was another thread that went into details on protein, losing/gaining muscle mass, etc. A doctor quoted scientific research supporting 0.8g/kg body weight minimum and 1-1.5g/kg body weight to minimize muscle loss while losing weight (along with some resistance training to actually work the muscles).

Working to do that, I found that 25% protein almost exactly hit the 1.0g/kg level. I left fat at 30% and adjusted carbs to 45%. Not that I ever eat enough to hit all my macros.