Any low carbers/Atkins people here..

Options
I am on my first week of Atkins. I have been at a standstill on the weight loss, in fact, have gained. So I am giving Atkins/low carb a shot.
I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me...
I tried using the Atkins app for logging food and even their website but I found it extremely difficult to use, especially in regards to adjusting portion sizes, etc. so I am logging on here. My first question is, do I subtract the fiber from my carbs to come up with my net carbs or am I to be just going on the carb number on this site. From my understanding, I thought it is just net carbs I need to worry about on Atkins which would be subtracting the fiber grams from the carbs. I want to be sure I am staying in my 20-25 gram range.

Also, did anyone use the lipolysis strips. I would have thought mine would have turned by now (5th day), but maybe it takes longer?? There is a slight pink color but no where near the deep purple.

I have not weighed myself yet so don't know if I am losing or not...

Replies

• utvol1982
    utvol1982 Posts: 9
    Options
    I did Atkins a few years ago and it works but careful.. Don't blow your pooper out with all that meat !
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins a few years ago and it works but careful.. Don't blow your pooper out with all that meat !

I will try not to!!! :laugh: :noway: :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

You weren't doing Atkins if all you ate was meat.

I ate plenty of vegetables when I was on the Atkins plan.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I am on my first week of Atkins. I have been at a standstill on the weight loss, in fact, have gained. So I am giving Atkins/low carb a shot.
    I tried using the Atkins app for logging food and even their website but I found it extremely difficult to use, especially in regards to adjusting portion sizes, etc. so I am logging on here. My first question is, do I subtract the fiber from my carbs to come up with my net carbs or am I to be just going on the carb number on this site. From my understanding, I thought it is just net carbs I need to worry about on Atkins which would be subtracting the fiber grams from the carbs. I want to be sure I am staying in my 20-25 gram range.

Also, did anyone use the lipolysis strips. I would have thought mine would have turned by now (5th day), but maybe it takes longer?? There is a slight pink color but no where near the deep purple.

I don't do net carbs.............I just counted carbs when on Atkins. My doctor had told me to do this and during the 2 week induction to allow myself 20-30 grams of carbs.

And with the keto sticks, it is best to have them in the pink.........means you are registering ketones and are well hydrated.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I don't do net carbs.............I just counted carbs when on Atkins. My doctor had told me to do this and during the 2 week induction to allow myself 20-30 grams of carbs.

And with the keto sticks, it is best to have them in the pink.........means you are registering ketones and are well hydrated.

Thanks!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Yes, net carbs. I usually have to enter my own food as you'll find very few net carb foods in the database.

The keto sticks aren't reliable. If you're eating under 25g net carbs and getting your fat/protein you probably are. You'll know for sure when you get the keto flu :)
  • OkieTink
    Options
    And yes, you subtract the fiber from carb's to get net carbs. If I use the items already in the data base I keep a scratch pad by my PC with the net carbs logged.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Yes, net carbs. I usually have to enter my own food as you'll find very few net carb foods in the database.

The keto sticks aren't reliable. If you're eating under 25g net carbs and getting your fat/protein you probably are. You'll know for sure when you get the keto flu :)

Everyone doesn't get the carb flu..............
  • OkieTink
    Options
    True! I got it the first time I went into keto, I didn't get it when I went into keto after coming out of it for a week.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Atkins worked at one point in my life but didn't work again when I tried later on. I had to go fully ketogenic to lose the weight. However, once lost, I have been able to maintain (with small fluctuations) on a regular moderate-high carb diet here in Korea - they eat 75-80% carbs (from what I've observed).

With that said, I didn't take out fiber to get net carbs. I counted them all. I found that, for me to lose the cravings for sugar, I had to go 0-5 grams of carb/day - all red meat. (See: Atkins fat fast for an even more extreme version I did. ) I wouldn't suggest that to anyone long-term.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to do Atkins? It's a very unhealthy unbalanced diet for the most part. Why not just eat really well with lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains like quinoa, millet and brown rice and nuts, lentils and beans and healthy proteins? The Atkins diet can be hard on the organs...think about it..your body goes into ketosis!
    I am not trying to be forceful at all...but I sometimes wonder why many folks are looking for a magic diet which is impossible to sustain longterm when the body is healthiest for the most part on a primarily plant based way of eating for life.
  • OkieTink
    Options
    the body is healthiest for the most part on a primarily plant based way of eating for life.

You're basing this statement on what?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Why do you want to do Atkins? It's a very unhealthy unbalanced diet for the most part. Why not just eat really well with lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains like quinoa, millet and brown rice and nuts, lentils and beans and healthy proteins? The Atkins diet can be hard on the organs...think about it..your body goes into ketosis!
    I am not trying to be forceful at all...but I sometimes wonder why many folks are looking for a magic diet which is impossible to sustain longterm when the body is healthiest for the most part on a primarily plant based way of eating for life.

If she moves up the carb ladder as specified in the Atkins Nutritional Approach book, she will be eating all of these things.

You tell me what is unhealthy about eliminating all food EXCEPT for salad and green leafy vegetables, fats and proteins for 2 weeks, then start slowly adding back in other foods according to the carb ladder?

Absolutely NOTHING.

Gahhhh, I can't stand when people come in touting that eating WHOLE foods is unhealthy. Total Hogwash.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Atkins worked at one point in my life but didn't work again when I tried later on. I had to go fully ketogenic to lose the weight. However, once lost, I have been able to maintain (with small fluctuations) on a regular moderate-high carb diet here in Korea - they eat 75-80% carbs (from what I've observed).

With that said, I didn't take out fiber to get net carbs. I counted them all. I found that, for me to lose the cravings for sugar, I had to go 0-5 grams of carb/day - all red meat. (See: Atkins fat fast for an even more extreme version I did. ) I wouldn't suggest that to anyone long-term.

The fat fast is only to get into ketosis quicker when one is NOT losing pounds or inches after a period of time and the fat fast is only done on a very short term basis, or supposed to be done on a short term basis.

The fat fast is designed to help those with severe metabolic impairment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • cortykidd4
    cortykidd4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    AS long as you are keeping your carbs under 50-100, you should burn fat stores instead. It takes 5-7 days to get into ketosis, where your body produces ketones and uses up your glycogen stores (faster if you are working out). The sticks are nice, but only show you excess ketones being excreted. YOur body can still be making them and using them for energy, but you dont have an excess--which means youare burning fat. I did 7 days of 10% of my calories as carbs, and 45% protein and 45% fat and I love 3.3% body fat in 7 days. Really incredible stuff. I was also working out hard 5 out of the 7 days.
  • OkieTink
    Options

The Web MD article starts with "...More research needs to be done". The other links look like vegetarian propaganda :)
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

The Web MD article starts with "...More research needs to be done". The other links look like vegetarian propaganda :)

Including the Mayo clinic site?
    "Vegetarian propaganda"....and you're basing THIS on what?

All I did was give my advice about what I have found based on my own research and experience to be a healthy way to live...but I seem to have made people angry and defensive..don't know why..
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options

If she moves up the carb ladder as specified in the Atkins Nutritional Approach book, she will be eating all of these things.

You tell me what is unhealthy about eliminating all food EXCEPT for salad and green leafy vegetables, fats and proteins for 2 weeks, then start slowly adding back in other foods according to the carb ladder?

Absolutely NOTHING.

Gahhhh, I can't stand when people come in touting that eating WHOLE foods is unhealthy. Total Hogwash.

^^THANK YOU^^