family meals

Options
heasleyt
heasleyt Posts: 4 Member
I need financially friendly family meal ideas that are protein rich, contain veggies and carb controlled. I am the mother of 5 very healthy, HUNGRY, growing boys. I am trying to cook meals that are healthy, affordable and abundant. They eat A LOT to fill up. All the while trying to not have to make something different for myself. Not the easiest with two teens, a preteen, a 2nd grader and a preschooler.
Any ideas for me?

Replies

• jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chili made with beans. It can be made with whatever veggies your brood will tolerate and can be made lower in fat with ground turkey or chicken. It's easy, you can make it in a crock pot, and your kids can supplement it with cheese, tortilla chips, tortillas, bread, or whatever else if they aren't eating low carb.
  • kangina
    kangina Posts: 1
    Options
    How about stir-fry? lean beef and lots of veggies should fill them up.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been buying inexpensive pork shoulder roasts lately and braising (baking with liquid). Season the meat as desired (I use salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and marjoram). Chop up a couple of slices of bacon and fry it in the pan, then brown the pork in the bacon fat and remove to a plate, then saute half a sliced onion. In a enameled cast-iron Dutch oven or other covered baking dish, put the meat on top of the onions and bacon, and add enough beef or chicken stock to about halfway cover the meat. Bake at 250F for 3-4 hours. This makes a really tender meat entree, and leftovers can be used as pulled pork for sandwiches. Strain the stock/juices and make gravy or sauce, or freeze for adding to soups.
  • heasleyt
    heasleyt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    some good ideas... Thanks. We have been in a bad rut and food quality has been going down while quantity and costs have been going up.