Whats in your fridge/cabinets?

Options
What are some things that you ALWAYS have on hand? I know that I try to keep yogurt, fruit and some kind of cracker to snack on, sometimes peanuts (not a big nut fan!). I know I need some more options, I used to eat one big meal a day and then have a snack somewhere in there too. I am trying to be more "healthy" and eat smaller more frequently, but I feel like I just don't have enough food around to sustain eating so many times in a day! SO...thought it would be fun to see what others keep on hand for their snacks!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I always have:

Yogurt
    Bananas
    Eggs
    Milk
    Cereal
    Crackers
    Club Soda
    English Muffins
    Laughing Cow Wedges
    Wheat Tortillas
    Baby Spinach
    Deli Turkey

These are my go-to foods: Mlik, Cereal, and yogurt for breakfast; bananas or crackers for a snack; tortilla, spinach, turkey, and cheese for lunch; and English muffin, eggs, and cheese for dinner. If I don't have something planned, that's what I eat.
  • XarranX
    XarranX Posts: 3
    Options
    qmy go to snacks are :

crackers
    hummus
    avacado
    mushroom spread

and anything else tasty for crackers.

great for when your on the go and need something quick :)
  • granitendirt
    Options
    Greek or regular yogurt. Often I buy nonfat just because it's lower in calories.

Bread = toast w/ almond butter or jam. Or both.

I just ate a leftover hamburger patty for a high-protein snack.

String cheese

Almonds

Whatever veggies I've purchased recently and had the foresight to cut up. Today it was bell peppers.

Milk + whey powder = high protein snack

Oreos :) You know, for sometimes. Not every snack.

Ice cream. A serving or two of light or slow-churned ice cream is often < 300 cal.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Avocado
    Ezekiel bread
    Old fashioned oats
    Almond milk
    Coffee
    Nuts
    Protein Powders
    Fish
    Shrimp
    Chicken
    Ground Turkey
    Veggies
    water
    Coke Zero

There's my weekly staples, lol
  • sw6709
    sw6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    eggs/ egg whites
    whole wheat bread
    apples
    berries ( strawberries/ black/blue/raspberries)
    mushrooms
    broccoli
    tuna
    chicken
    lettuce
    soy milk
    cashews/ almonds
    peanut butter
    potatos (white and sweet)
    jalapenos
    green onions
    avocados

mmmm I think its time to go make dinner haha
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    [looks in refrigerator]

I have...

Lactose free milk. Enough for one small cup of tea in the morning.

Greek yoghurt.

A jar of pickled herrings.

Onions.

Lower fat Hellmans (because I like it better)

Salted butter.

And 13 little stubby bottles of 2.7% beer.

It's not the end of the world to have to get up and leave the house to get something to eat, it's about 50 yards to walk to the shops.
  • cheangela1
    cheangela1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started making a big batch of quinoa once a week with a few fish steaks steamed in the same pan as the quinoa. I add whatever veg is in the fridge that I need to cook (like this week - the spinach that only has another day or two - booo) and put it in a few individual serving sized tupperware dishes and the rest in a big tuppy for easy fridge to bowl transport. Quick, microwaveable, and filling! If only I would stick to one serving though, I have been going for the full 450 calories because I'm naughty and eat all the things.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Non-exhaustive list (but these are things that I would make a special trip to the store for):

Yogurt
    Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    Milk
    Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    Laughing Cow Wedges
    Crackers
    English Muffins
    Beer
    Eggs
    Ground Turkey
    Lamb Chops
    Broccoli
    Fresh Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Red Onions
    Garlic
    Ginger Root
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Roast chicken breast.
    Avocado.
    Apples.
    Carrots.
    Cottage cheese.
    Greek yoghurt.
    Duck eggs.
    Chicken eggs.
    Sweet potatoes.
    Almonds.
    81% dark chocolate.
    Vegetables mixes.
    Baby plum tomatoes.
    Hazelnut milk.
    Houmous.
    Dips.
    Cheese(usually emmental or gouda)
    Salmon.
    Butter.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Lettuce

Chicken

Rice

Leftover Pasta

Eggs

Soymilk

Regular Milk

Cereal

Tuna

Green Peppers

Almonds

Raisins

Crasins

Bananas

Apple

Orange

Kiwi

Greek Yogurt

...stuff like that
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, eggs, bacon, chicken & almonds.

Always.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    natural applesauce, baby carrots, humus, fruits (lots of 'em, I like variety), nuts, 100 calories pop corn
  • Freelygreen
    Options
    Rolled oats
    Lentils
    Jasmine/Brown rice
    Granola
    Dried Figs
    Raw Almonds
    Peanut Butter
    Honey
    Whole Wheat bread
    Turbinado Sugar
    Bananas/Apples
    Coffee/Tea

Soy milk
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Orange Juice
    Maple Syrup
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    There is nothing specific I ALWAYS have on hand.

I ALWAYS have:

Some kind of nut.
    Some kind of fruit.
    Some kind of protein.
    Some kind of vegetable.
    Some kind of grain.
    Some kind of seasoning.
    Some kind of oil.
    Something I've never tried before or haven't had in a long time.

Variety is key.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    String cheese or sticks of colby cheese
    Greek yogurts (flavors both my husband and I like)
    Special K cracker chips
    Potatoes (we "bake" them in the microwave for a quick starch side to dinner)
    Lately, been having a lot of popcorn too

I really should keep more fruit and veggies around, but we don't go through them fast enough.

And, you don't HAVE to eat several small meals per day. As long as your total calories are within your goal, you should be fine.
  • cmcoyle776
    cmcoyle776 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fridge: plain Greek yogurt, Babybel cheese, natural cheddar cheese block, low-fat string cheese, unsweetened apple sauce, hummus, Applegate Farms (minimally processed, nitrate free) sliced turkey & sliced ham, cucumbers, carrots, strawberries, apples, edamame, unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Pantry: Ak-Mak crackers, Triscuits w/ sea salt, bananas, Kashi Go Lean Protein cereal, natural sunflower seed butter, pistachio nuts, low-sodium canned chick peas, steel cut oatmeal, local honey, pure maple syrup, canned coconut milk, Luna Bars

I combine: Turkey/ham +cheese +crackers; hummus +carrots or crackers or cucumbers; apple + nut butter; apple +cheese +nuts; cucumbers +cheese +crackers; almond milk w/ Kashi cereal & fruit; chick peas by themselves; edamame w/ a sprinkle of soy sauce or salt; oatmeal or yogurt +berries +honey or maple syrup. Yum!

I also make a lot of smoothies by combining 1/4 cup each of coconut milk, almond milk, yogurt, a cup of fruit (plus sometimes a handful of baby spinach since you can't taste it), honey or maple syrup, ice, you can add protein powder if you want, & sometimes I add a Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder . They are usually less than 200 calories if you don't add the protein powder. Pumpkin coconut is my new favorite (using pure canned pumpkin). Yum! :)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What are some things that you ALWAYS have on hand? I know that I try to keep yogurt, fruit and some kind of cracker to snack on, sometimes peanuts (not a big nut fan!). I know I need some more options, I used to eat one big meal a day and then have a snack somewhere in there too. I am trying to be more "healthy" and eat smaller more frequently, but I feel like I just don't have enough food around to sustain eating so many times in a day! SO...thought it would be fun to see what others keep on hand for their snacks!

There's nothing wrong with one or two meals a day, as long as your getting your calories in. Smaller, more frequent meals are no healthier than fewer, bigger meals :)

My staples-
    Beef, usually top sirloin petite steaks (have these at least twice a week)
    Pork sausage-love using this in egg scrambles, stuffed red bell peppers and stuffed mushrooms
    onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, lettuce
    Bananas
    Plain 2% or whole milk Greek yogurt
    Local honey
    Eggs
    Mushrooms
    Butter
    Shredded co-jack or cheddar
    Almonds/walnuts
    Regular ranch dressing, A-1 sauce
    85% dark chocolate

And now that the farmers market is open for the season, misc veggies and fruit Right now it's carrots, different types of lettuce, strawberries and asparagus
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I always have:

Chicken breast
    Apples
    Raspberries/Strawberries - sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen
    Bananas
    Butter
    Coconut Milk
    Carrots/peas
    Salad
  • sasaemmat86
    Options
    Avocado's
    Sugar Snap Peas (I loveeeee these, they make for an excellent snack if you want something crunchy.. i eat them raw) YUM
    Fat free cottage cheese
    eggs
    milk
    oranges
    Ryvita crackers (with the cottage cheese, great snack)
    whole wheat wraps
    almonds
    dried fruit
    green apples
    HUMMUS (LOVE!)
    baby carrots
    celery
    bottles of water
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Snacks: nuts, pretzels, yogurt, skinny cow ice cream, yogurt, fruit, cereal

Today I am grilling extra chicken and will dice the left over and have it in the fridge to use for chicken salads.

I like stewing a couple of apples with cinnamon and vanilla, the storing in the fridge. I add this to my oat meal with a few pecans. A complete meal.

I eat a lot of fish. If I don't grill it then I add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to a pan and season it differently every time. Last night I did this and squeezed a lime on it with pepper.

Cut up zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, onion, peppers, tomatoes. Sautee in a little olive oil then add a little pizza sauce/spaghetti sauce. Grate some fresh parmesan on it and eat like this or serve on spaghetti.

I keep canned tuna on hand, low fat miracle whip and low fat salad dressings.

I like to take all the different citrus fruits and leave the skins on them. Scrub them, slice them and then freeze them on a single layer on a sheet tray. Once they are frozen I put them in a freezer bag and pull a couple slices out at a time and toss in my water. Very nice presentation.