Help with lunges

Options
I know this might be hard to do as you can't actually see me doing them, but I have a hard time doing lunges. If I get to far into them, I loose my balance. I can barely get into them if I want to maintain my balance. I"m not sure if if I am not putting my feet far enough apart or to close before putting them one in front of the other. I generally keep them hip width apart. Even putting them one foot in front of the other I can't go to far, or again I loose my balance. Any suggestions of what I can do or helpful hints of how to do them and maintain my balance would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It takes time to get them right. A simple thing for me, which helped tremendously, was switching to a cross trainer shoe, instead of a running shoe. The sole is wider than my running shoe, with a wider toe box. Sometimes it's the little things ;)
  • GoClaireGo
    GoClaireGo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to youtube.com and watching some of the videos. It might be possible that you have some weak muscles that are playing a role. If that is the case I would recommend doing some circuit training (if a gym is available) or trying some modified lunges to help you work up to them!
    http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/howtolunge_3.htm
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to say without seeing what you are doing. Do you have a gym pass? some have trainers you could ask.
    If doing front lunges are too hard you could try side lunges?
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For a proper lunge you should stand with your feet comfortably at hip width apart. When you step forward into the lunge position the goal is not to put your feet in line with each other. Your legs should remain hip width apart. Simply step straight forward and put your foot down. Also, go ahead and put one hand on something - back of a chair, countertop, whatever you can stand next to - in order to keep your balance.
    Good luck! :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have a challenging time with regular lunges too (bad knees, bad ankles). I do a modification and actually do backward lunges instead. Instead of stepping forward and transferring weight to the leading foot (which adds strain to joints and creates balance issues), you step backward with one foot but never transfer weight from the front foot. So it's really like a very exaggerated curtsey, lol. Stand with both feet together. Put your weight on you right foot and send your left foot way back behind you. Put the left toes on the floor but not with any weight. Keep the weight on the right foot the entire time. Your butt is going to sink down behind you, with the left leg. Then just stand up and bring the left foot forward to meet the right foot. Then switch. It will give you the same result, works the same area of the muscle...but not nearly as much strain and a much easier way to keep your balance. They're actually called Rear Lunges.

You could also just hold onto the back of a chair or to a broom handle or something to help balance during a standard lunge.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree with the YouTube videos. I go there all the time to learn new moves. Watch a few different ones to get the best idea of what will work for you. Good luck :)
  • jacki2353
    jacki2353 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem, my trainer told me to balance with my heels not my toes and when u r coming up push off with heels not toes. .it has helped a lot and my balance is better...
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I will try some of those things tonight. I workout at home, so I can't ask someone for help. (I don't like the idea of a gym and can't afford one in the first place!) Also I'm doing JM 30DS so most of the time I am doing lunges I am also doing weights, so it makes it hard to hold on to to something.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I will try some of those things tonight. I workout at home, so I can't ask someone for help. (I don't like the idea of a gym and can't afford one in the first place!) Also I'm doing JM 30DS so most of the time I am doing lunges I am also doing weights, so it makes it hard to hold on to to something.

Work on your form with the lunges first, with no weights. It's actually pretty important. When you get the form down right and are comfortable, that's when you should add weights. I'm surprised that that wasn't stated in the video. I guess she assumes that everyone is good with lunges. But you shouldn't ever use weights in a move that you're not stable and solid with.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Work on your form with the lunges first, with no weights. It's actually pretty important. When you get the form down right and are comfortable, that's when you should add weights. I'm surprised that that wasn't stated in the video. I guess she assumes that everyone is good with lunges. But you shouldn't ever use weights in a move that you're not stable and solid with.

I've found that there are other things she doesn't mention modified versions of and how to ease yourself into it. In 30DS she says there is no modication for supermans. Yet, in NMTZ she states beginners can do one arm and leg at a time with ulternating them. THAT I can do! I can't go a full superman and get my chest AND knees off the floor at the same time. I 'm sorry, but I wasn't made to bend that way!