Crossfit

Options
I'm wondering if anybody has tried it on here. It looks intense but worthwhile to me. Plus, I want to use it as a training mechanism of sorts for Tough Mudder.

Replies

• jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I took a Crossfit class, just one, it's too much for me. My experience there was great, the coach seemed to know what he was doing and everyone there was very supportive and encouraging.

I did enjoy the one class I took, but it left me way too sore for over a week. I had to couch myself for several days and I just wasn't feeling it.

It's not for me, but it works wonders for others. I think the anyone trying to be fit should do what they enjoy, they're more likely to stick to it and there are obviously many out there that enjoy Crossfit.

A lot of people look at Crossfitters as a sort of cult. I can see that, but those WODs are difficult and the people that are doing them are really working hard.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here will say its dangerous, or too much or some crap... give it a shot for yourself, maybe you'll hate it, maybe you'll love it..

I have been doing it since November and love it.. my husband now does it also, but we were both looking for something where we challenge ourselves. I have never been hurt at crossfit.. hockey ,- yes, volleyball- yes, running - yes. so yes you can get hurt doing anything. Check your ego at the door and push yourself, but not too much. use your common sense .

I tore my mcl at hockey 3 months ago, and my coaches at crossfit have been modifying everything for me .. they actually tell me not to do stuff, even though i think i can lol

sign up for 1 month and see what you think.. worst case is you hate it, and go back to your old workouts.. best case.. you fall in love with it like many people do
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Give it a try but just watch out for instructors that push people to injury. There tends to be a culture in Crossfit that training until you hurt yourself is cool and a badge of honour.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will definitely try it for a month and see what happens. Also, I hear people who complain the crossfit trainers are not necessarily "qualifiied". Can anybody shed light on this?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Its perfect training for Tough mudder!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HI JANE!

Normally I'd say to ignore Jane but recently a friend of mine joined crossfit and him almost dead.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    crossfit is awesome. im about a year in and LOVE it. injury free, stronger and leaner than ever.

give it a try- most local boxes will do a free intro wod- go shop around and find one that is a good fit for you, do a month and decide. MOST trainers are more than certified in JUST the crossfit cert. ask them lots of questions about their experience and trainings outside of the level one course and heavily weigh that in your decision.

once you find a gym you love you will be amazed at all the stuff you never thought you could do :)
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i thought about doing it but the risk of injury is just too much especially while i'm marathon training. I like the idea but not worth risking missing out on the race
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    'Risk of injury'

We risk injury every time we walk out the door, every time we get out of the bath tub, runners risk injury just as much as crossfitters.

I hate the excuses people use.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ..and she's in.

Always. Pretty sure she has a google alert set up
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit type of exercises on my own. I'm also training for a Tough Mudder and a Goruck Challenge. The Goruck website has a daily PT that they put up...it's all military PT type of stuff...pretty similar to a lot of the crossfit stuff. I do it 3x weekly as my "assistance" work on my 5/3/1 program. I basically get in my one big compound lift on lifting day and then PT my *kitten* off after that with pull-ups, push-ups, burpees, mt. climbers, etc. Once I've completed my PT I usually do one assistance lift in support of whatever the compound lift is that day. In conjunction with this, I do 10K training on my non-lift days.

I've attended a couple intro crossfit classes at a couple different boxes in town...If it wasn't so damned expensive, I'd do it. 3x weekly for a month at a crossfit box costs as much as my family membership to the club I belong to. I figure I can do it on my own anyway and work it in better with my lifting so just as well.

I have a buddy who does a couple of Tough Mudders and a few Goruck challenges every year and he does crossfit and it works well for him.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    My suggestion - ignore feedback from people who "have friends that did Crossfit" or "heard of a guy once that did Crossfit" or "wanted to try it but didn't because..."

Is it hard? Yes. Is it too hard for some people? I think so if you are badly out of shape. Are there inexperienced and bad coaches? No more than bad trainers at the big box gyms. It it somewhat cultish in that lots of people really love it and talk about it alot? Yes but why do you think that is? Because many people that do it regularly think it is awesome.

As for the folks that try it and quit because it made them too sore, I'd say that either it really was too hard for them (but may not be with another month or two of working out) OR they didn't realize that you do start to get less sore after a week or two.

I agree that most boxes will give you a free workout or a free week. Try it out. You aren't getting married to Crossfit you are just trying a different workout style. You'll live.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I did it for 6 months while training for a job (unfortunately, I had other medical issues that prevented me from getting the job).

I loved it. My coaches were great, the people at the box were wonderful and really pushed each other to keep going when you got tired. I loved going and seeing the same faces, so I got used to training with others like me and who knew what my weakest points were and motivated me to do better and push through and finish.

However, it was too expensive to keep up. I did my 6 months, lost 40-ish pounds, and had never felt better. Then I got lazy and here I am again at MFP to drop 20 pounds because I switched jobs, got lazy, and ate a lot because I couldn't get into my dream job because of medical reasons (sympathy eating).

But it was GREAT. I've heard mixed reactions, depending on the coaches. My 3 coaches were a SWAT Officer, an MMA fighter, and an Olympic Gymnast hopefully who unfortunately screwed up her ankle really bad when she was 10 :/
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    'Risk of injury'

We risk injury every time we walk out the door, every time we get out of the bath tub, runners risk injury just as much as crossfitters.

I hate the excuses people use.

^^This
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My suggestion - ignore feedback from people who "have friends that did Crossfit" or "heard of a guy once that did Crossfit" or "wanted to try it but didn't because..."

Is it hard? Yes. Is it too hard for some people? I think so if you are badly out of shape. Are there inexperienced and bad coaches? No more than bad trainers at the big box gyms. It it somewhat cultish in that lots of people really love it and talk about it alot? Yes but why do you think that is? Because many people that do it regularly think it is awesome.

As for the folks that try it and quit because it made them too sore, I'd say that either it really was too hard for them (but may not be with another month or two of working out) OR they didn't realize that you do start to get less sore after a week or two.

I agree that most boxes will give you a free workout or a free week. Try it out. You aren't getting married to Crossfit you are just trying a different workout style. You'll live.

^^^^^^ YUP!!!!

I started Crossfit just a few months ago and really enjoy it. The gym I joined is the second that I tried. At the first, I was allowed to just jump right in and get to work with almost no instruction and no consideration for form and technique. At the second gym, I was REQUIRED to complete a 4 week introductory course of two classes per week during which I learned proper technique. After the four weeks, I was then permitted to participate in the "regular" classes. But even then, my trainers are constantly working to ensure that we are using good technique and form. And they help me scale my workouts to my ability while still pushing me to challenge myself with each workout.

Crossfit is not for everybody. It is almost always more expensive than joining your local big box gym, but there are reasons for that. At my box, classes are limited to 8 participants. Each of those classes is supervised by two coaches. Each class is designed by the head coach. You would be able to get that kind of personal attention with a trainer, but the cost will likely be just as high as CF - perhaps higher depening on the number of sessions per week.

If you are considering it, try it. You really don't have anything to lose and you might gain more than you thought possible!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will definitely try it for a month and see what happens. Also, I hear people who complain the crossfit trainers are not necessarily "qualifiied". Can anybody shed light on this?

Crossfit allows people that have no more training than a weekend Crossfit workshop to be a Level 1 Crossfit trainer.

I cannot recommend Crossfit. I know too many people that got injured trying to keep up with their extreme workouts. And if you get injured, you can't train for your race.
    In. Just to read the nonsensical rant that's sure to follow in the later pages from this poster. :flowerforyou:
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am a dedicated CrossFitter and have been so for about 3.5 years. Want to find a less expensive gym? Join one that is just opening. It's more likely to become more expensive as the coaches become more experienced. Caveat to that, you have to understand that they will NOT have the experience that coaches with older gyms will have. You give some, you take some. Depends on what you really want.

The cost is there because when done right, a CrossFit gym should almost be like having a personal trainer. People will pay $30+ per hour for someone to train them on top of their membership. Let's delve into this a little:

I crossfit 5 times per week. I am usually there for 2+ hours on those days. I pay $75 per month for unlimited use at my crossfit gym because I was literally like the 5th member. Let's assume I have a cheap cheap gym membership for $30/ month at some "Globogym" now I want to train with a personal trainer because I can't motivate myself to push really really hard for 2 hours so I sign up with one of their in house trainers for $30 per hour. 2 hours x 5 days per week = 10 hours. 10 hours x $30 = $300 per WEEK!!

If I ever wanted to leave my crossfit gym, and join a "Globogym" and still keep the intensity and personal training at the level that I am, I'd be shelling out over $1200 per month versus my current $75.

My injuries to date include 2 busted up shins from missing a box jump because I was goofing off and not paying attention to what I was doing. Gosh. 3.5 years and my own idiocy led me to an injury. Hmm.

And as far as being too sore afterwards, make sure you stretch before and after the workout and that will help greatly.

We had a 400lb guy join our gym. He now weighs 300lbs and comes everyday religiously. If he can do it, anyone else can. His dedication and drive usually put me to shame.

*sigh* crossfit is not for "everybody" because some people listen to the hype and the bad examples that are out there. The only people who I have known to hate crossfit and spread the hype are the ones that came in with a big ego, majorly sucked, and walked away butthurt because their pride was bruised because a girl out did them.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    I have some close friends who are heavily into it, and one is a trainer. I am considering doing it in the somewhat near future.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I do it, I love it, and it drives Jane cray cray.