Thyroid Help

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
I know that there are several people on this site that know a lot about thyroids and I'm just looking for quick answers as to what I should be asking my dr.

They have changed my thyroid meds and increased my dose three times, October, December, March, and May. Each time the dose has gotten higher but the tests come back worse each new testing and my number are dropping.

I'm on a compounded med of T4/T3 Levothyroxine and liothyronine.

This time I went from 112/25 to 150/35 for dose.

History: I gained 10 lbs running my marathon in October and can't lose it for the life of me. I was working out, doing doubles, feeling great - but since October I've struggled with just overall feeling like crap. I'm exhausted, unmotivated. I'm an avid runner, love running, but struggle with being too exhausted to even want to run. I raced 12 races last year, this year, I've done one 5K. I finally signed up for a half marathon, to try to motivate myself, training started this week. I'm still able to workout 1 hour a day about 5 days a week, I get plenty of sleep and my diet is very good.

I'm just trying to figure out what I should be asking my Dr regarding getting this on track.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see your diary, then I might be more able to comment. I have been on thyroid medication for over 20 years. I pay particular attention to what foods I eat (definitely no soy, tofu, canola oil, fresh water fish (that includes tilapia), no crabs, shellfish etc. For me it is very hard to lose weight, but since joining MFP I have managed to lose 21 pounds, through exercise and logging my food (at 98% of it). Maybe your iron levels are low, I can normally tell when I am low on iron or when my sugar is low (I get very light headed and drink orange juice).
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My dr told me that sometimes when starting a thyroid medicine, your thyroid stops working quie as much...it's like it takes a little break. I would also be paying attention to when you take your meds, what you take them with, and the other foods you eat during the day. Look at the literature from the pharmacist...soy can mess with thyroid meds, so can a multivitamin, etc.

I would definitely be making a list of symptoms to take to next appt, and I might ask for a complete lab work up. I would also ask what my dr would recommend for dirt and exercise levels.
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin can mess up your thyroid medicine??, I didn't know that....

I take both....:noway:
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned it, but still: what are your blood iron levels doing?

The symptoms you're describing could point to an iron deficiency--which frequently goes hand-in-hand with hypothyroidism.
  • Hoodie16
    Hoodie16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would get your iron levels checked and your vitamin D. I would also get your thyroid antibodies checked as well to see if you have hashimoto thyroiditis (an autoimmune disease).
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I'm around 158 pounds and am on 250 mcg of Synthyroid! (I had a total removal) Every time I come back low...it's crazy.

However, I eat soy products a lot....so, that might be a problem for me. My endo said it was a myth though.