What NOT to say to someone who's trying to lost weight?

Options
p1ppers
p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
Don't you just hate it when people find out your trying to lose weight and they have to give you their opinion of what you should or shouldn't do? Or maybe tell you that you look too thin and should stop, or you're no fun anymore cause you won't go out to eat with them now? What have others said to you that really got your goat?

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Get really annoyed when people tell me I need to eat more, or get some fat on me. Or I don't need to go to the gym today. Or I have to eat some cake because I went to the gym earlier. Really annoys me cos I know I'm nowhere near 'too thin', it's just people are used to seeing me bigger and don't think they like the change!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    All the dumb things like calories don't count if its off some one else's plate or broken cookies have no calories or weekends don't count or wine is a fruit so it's ok. I'm serious about this change so deal with it. Making quips isn't helpful.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    I had one of my friends comment on a motivational quote picture I put up on instagram (something like, you can either have results or excuses, not both", telling me that 'there's more to life and you could just read them to yourself instead of posting so F***ing many!" For reference, I'd posted maybe 4 or so in the last week, interspersed with other pictures.

It just really irritated me that it annoyed her so much she felt the need to comment, rather than just keep scrolling :/
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    "Really? I don't see the difference."
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I had one of my friends comment on a motivational quote picture I put up on instagram (something like, you can either have results or excuses, not both", telling me that 'there's more to life and you could just read them to yourself instead of posting so F***ing many!" For reference, I'd posted maybe 4 or so in the last week, interspersed with other pictures.

It just really irritated me that it annoyed her so much she felt the need to comment, rather than just keep scrolling :/

Wow. I know she is your friend but what a *****y thing to say to you. It's YOUR instagram to post what you like. If she doesn't like it she could move along. Sheesh.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    "dont lose too much or you'll look old", "you HAVE to have cheat days every once in a while or it wont work" said to me every single day, it doesn't work like that, the one that really gets me is my grandma warning me about getting addicted to exercise, or my mom telling me not to throw out my fat clothes because I may need them later.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Are you anorexic? -Mind you this was said to me at Fuddruckers...while I was stuffing my face. lol
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    Yeah so anyway devoured an entire pizza ...pitcher of beer and topped it off with a cheesburger....and..oh...wait..sorry!
  • ajv1985
    ajv1985 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find the people that tell you to eat crappy food with them are generally the same people that will poke fun of you if you're overweight. It's like they want to see you fail

Oh another issue is as a society, we all (most) believe eating is a social event. Food is to fuel to body, not a social event...but try telling that to people and they think you're crazy...just ignore and stick to your goals.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It really bugs me when people say "Live a little".......really.....as if I somehow lost out on life itself cause I don't want that piece of cake?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    "Your before pictures look better."
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    "dont lose too advice r you'll look old", "you HAVE to have cheat days every once in a while or it wont work" said to me every single day, it doesn't work like that, the one that really gets me is my grandma warning me about getting addicted to exercise, or my mom telling me not to throw out my fat clothes because I may need them later.

Ouch! All of the above advice helpful? Not so much.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    My sister (middle girl in my profile photo) was there and my mom said 'Wow,wow how much have you lost now!" I told her 22 (at the time) and my sister said "Really?" and had this scrunched looked on her face and walked around me in a circle, then just walked away.

B!tch
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hate when people ask "how much more are you planning on losing" and "How much do you weigh now?"

My answers are "as much as it takes" and "a lot less than I did" lol
  • ajv1985
    ajv1985 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My sister (middle girl in my profile photo) was there and my mom said 'Wow,wow how much have you lost now!" I told her 22 (at the time) and my sister said "Really?" and had this scrunched looked on her face and walked around me in a circle, then just walked away.

B!tch

so mom thinks you're skinny and sister thinks you're overweight?
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Wow. I know she is your friend but what a *****y thing to say to you. It's YOUR instagram to post what you like. If she doesn't like it she could move along. Sheesh.
    One of the reasons I don't have instagram or twitter is that I'm SICK of "unfollowing" idiots on Facebook who post stupid pictures of unicorns, cats playing pianos, or other idiocy. At least posting something positive isn't as irritating as pictures of rainbows and unicorns that tell you to hug trees or "Keep Calm"....
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

B!tch

That's your sister, you know you have an automatic green light to smack her upside her head if you need to!!!!!
  • carrottopper
    carrottopper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    #1 You've lost your chins.

#2 This takes the cake. I told my mother that a man who checked my ID noticed and complimented my weight loss. Her response??? Our waiter at the restaurant (a friend of my brother's) asked who I was and followed up with "wow, she's big." My mother actually said she thought she was encouraging me. Really??????
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    "Oh you're trying to lose weight? Good for you! ...not going too well, huh?"

SAID TO ME AT THE BEGINNING. :grumble:
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    "You don't have to workout today." I hate that! don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Are you the one working out? Is this your body? NO! :)