How much cardio do you do in a day?

Options
I started out at an hour (after a month of building up to that) but I was reading that an hour may be too much, so I dropped down to 45 but not burning that additional 130 or so calories is bumming me out.

Does anyone think that a full 60 minutes (warm up to cool down) is too much? How much do you all do in a day?

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I had a goal of 15 minutes initially. Bumped it to half an hour, then to 50. Then, I could do what I was doing in 50 minutes in 30, so I backed it to 30 and added circuit training. Then, I limited it when I started weight training so I wasn't over-tired. Now, I'm bumping it back up because I have time to run while the kids are at tennis camp. So...not a great answer. All depends on intensity, your goals, and other training day routines.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals and intensity. i will do 2-4 hours some days (today was around 2.5 jogging and elliptical), and 15 min on other days (tues was only a 12min HIIT session on the stepmill). If you enjoy it and have time, LISS is a great fat burner that is easy on the rest of the body, so you can hit the weights even harder!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    10 minutes warmup, if you want to count that as cardio. I used to do 90 minutes on the elliptical every day. I am getting better results from lifting about 60-75 minutes every other day. I still do cardio every so often, on days off, but only for 20 minutes or so, and higher intensity.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do about a 10-15 warm up stretch light walking and then begin my "real" work out" I end up doing about 5-10 of a cool down . I normally do 65-75 minutes all together my goal for a true cardio workout is normally 700 calories burned.
  • camper2022
    camper2022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just walk 4 or 5 times a week for an hour....that's it!!!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I do at least 45 mins but often go 60+ mins when I'm in the zone. Maybe 3-4 days a week, on my non-lifting days.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am not too great with lifting so do 50-60mins of cardio 5 days a week.

But then, it is nothing too high intensity, so I believe that is okay.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I never do more than about 40 minutes. On weights days I'll do a ten minute run to warm up... maybe even 20 minute run afterwards if it's one of those really short weights days.

I run or jump rope for about 30 minutes on non-weights days... but that's about it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I do about 30 minutes to an hour of cardio per week, approximately 5-10 minutes per day-- jumping rope and walking. It is the warm up and cool down I do for lifting.
  • cstclair1973
    Options
    I started out doing 20 before and after workouts...40/day...Doing a workout regimen from bodybuilding .com....I cut a lot of lifting out to focus on the cardio...I do 2 hours total a day....but cardio is my motivation factor...I like having a partner to lift with and currently don't
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do TurboFire - HIIT, intense cardio & toning
    5 days of cardio, which is a mix of kickboxing, plyo, squats & dance, for 15 - 60 minutes plus a 10 minute stretch class
    1 day of toning with resistance bands for 30 mins, plus 40 mins yoga

I track with an HRM and burn 200 calories every 15 minutes so on the longer days I'm burning 800+ and around 300 on the shorter days. HIIT boosts your metabolism and is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories, increase endurance & overall fitness. Its not how long you do cardio, its the intensity of it that's most important. I just started week 4 and am dropping 6-8 inches weekly (pounds are another thing but I have health factors that slow my metabolism) plus the class are lots of fun. The shorter classes are more intense so I feel like I've worked out longer than I did.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    usually do power walk 70-80 minutes a day. 1-2 day rest per week. It actually depends on the intensity of your cardio. If it is low impact, it is ok to do it longer.