Emotional eater seeking support

Options
Hi! I'm new to myfitness pal and very excited and eager to get started on my new journey, but I'm scared because of my past dieting experiences (since I was 12, now 31). I've always struggled with eating during heightened emotional times. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help emotional eating? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I think most of us are emotional eaters ,I'm sure you will get lot's of advice and suggestions from your post ,I suggest you get really really psyched out and fired up about your new life style change and focus solely on mini goals and progress ,come to this site as much as possible ,ask questions and give advice on anything you are familiar with.

Get involved and focused to the point of distraction from any other emotional issues that may come up.

When you get challenged ,talk about it ,we're here for you!:happy:
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    When I am in a bad mood and need a distraction I take the dog for a walk or go exercise. I also make sure I have healthy snacks for when I just want to munch. I have found that the best snack for that is the 94% fat free popcorn. It lasts a lot longer than the 100 calorie packs.
  • sarcus
    sarcus Posts: 3
    Options
    I have found using this site a great help. It's all too easy to reach for a naughty snack or treat when you're feeling a bit down - I should know! I have only been using MFP for just over a week and I'm already noticing a difference in my attitude towards food, diet and eating. My new motto is 'if you don't buy it, you can't eat it'. Of course that might not work for everyone but step one for me is avoiding temptation when I go grocery shopping. I also notice how much I was eating of the kids leftovers which was really bad. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Ridding
    Ridding Posts: 1
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater.. what I have found lately is whenever I am having one of those days.. I remove myself from the house.. meaning I will leave and go to the gym, a walk, a movie, park.. something. I find a little bag of popcorn at a movie is a lot less detrimental then a day with your fridge right there.. and drinking water can only help for so long. everyone is different but that is something that works for me.. and so far it's work.. I am down almost 80 pounds with another 30 to go :-) but you have to find something that fits for you, but removing yourself from temptaition of gorging on whats in the fridge always seems like a good idea..
  • EMMK130
    EMMK130 Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the wonderful support and advice! I'm glad I'm not alone and I think using this site will be SO very helpful to stick with this lifestyle change! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond to my post :) And for once, I don't really feel the urge to indulge with a piece of chocolate...what I'm feeling is good enough! Thanks again!!