Confirming Foods that are CLEARLY incorrect

Options
OMG! This is a little bit of a rant because it irks me so much. Why do people confirm food that is clearly wrong?!? Especially when there is a label on the product. I could understand something that maybe you get from a market and doesn't have a label and it "sounds" correct and you've researched it online, but to clearly confirm food that has a label and is wrong is sooooooooo annoying!!! OK thank you I'm done!

Replies

• suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I try to keep all packaging until I log things - because then I know if its right or not.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    So how do people actually "confirm" foods? I have seen that wording when I logged in items and wondered about it.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    After selecting the product, it will show up on the right hand side of the screen asking you to select portion. Underneath the name, it says "Nutritional Info". You can click on that to view the nutrition facts of that product, but it will ask you "yes", "no", or "i dont know" if that information is correct. By clicking yes, you've confirmed that the information is correct.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Please people, don't confirm or add information unless it is correct. I find sodium to be the thing that is incorrect most of the time. It just happened this morning. I went to find jumbo egg, and saw that it was the correct calorie amount and that 10 people confirmed it, so I added. I noticed once it was added that soduim was zero. I know there is sodium in eggs so that is was wrong. :grumble:
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    I've often wondered if things are packaged differently in different regions of the country and that is why the nutritional information is off. My mother and stepfather worked for KRAFT foods for 20+ years each and I think the thing is a lot of food is packaged and distributed differently by region, so I try not to jump to the immediate conclusion that everyone confirming the stuff is wrong......or that it is some kind of insidious conspiracy :wink: .

Anyway that's what I tell myself to keep from having melt downs over it, but I agree it is frustrating.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered if things are packaged differently in different regions of the country and that is why the nutritional information is off. My mother and stepfather worked for KRAFT foods for 20+ years each and I think the thing is a lot of food is packaged and distributed differently by region, so I try not to jump to the immediate conclusion that everyone confirming the stuff is wrong......or that it is some kind of insidious conspiracy :wink: .

Anyway that's what I tell myself to keep from having melt downs over it, but I agree it is frustrating.

I do think it's true that different regions have different nutrional value, or companies change it and the new info doesn't get added, but some are so obviously wrong that I can't believe they were ever added in the 1st place. I think some people only care about calories so don't add the other stuff or don't add it correctly, that's what is frustrating.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    OH, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE! Just leave it if you don't know. Also, if something says " .05 " should it be rounded up? Or if it says " < 1g " etc. should we round it up to 1? My guess is yes...but I would love to hear what others think....
  • rosef17
    rosef17 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thanks for the "rant" - TOTALLY AGREE
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I check EVERYTHING with my packaging, if it is wrong i fix it and i have LOTS of wrong info!!! DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Some items are clearly incorrect. But I myself have noticed when I have bought the same thing, the calories are different. I bought bread from Sam's club once and it was 100 cals per slice. I bought the exact same bread from the grocery store and it was 90 cals per slice. I don't get it! I even checked the wording...and in the MFP database it was listed several times, at different calories. I also noticed the same with my tuna...once it was 50 cals and the next time the can said 60. I thought I was going crazy but I double checked. I just make sure I check my stuff every single time...you never know!
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    I guess I just tend to think if it's been confirmed multiple times it's probably a regional thing. But I do see the point about missing information such as sodium etc.. since sugar is the other thing I track. So I get it. My feeling is, it gives you the option to NOT share the food entry with others, so if you know the data is not complete but the info you need is accurate (for YOU) then probabaly it should be an item you don't enter in the database.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    OH, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE! Just leave it if you don't know. Also, if something says " .05 " should it be rounded up? Or if it says " < 1g " etc. should we round it up to 1? My guess is yes...but I would love to hear what others think....

I think it automatically rounds up, which is unfortunate. I've added things to "my foods" and noticed this. Something might really have 2.5g of fat (which I enter) but it saves as 3g of fat. In the grand scheme of things, the rounding up might actually help -- you're actually a little under what you logged.
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    Some items are clearly incorrect. But I myself have noticed when I have bought the same thing, the calories are different. I bought bread from Sam's club once and it was 100 cals per slice. I bought the exact same bread from the grocery store and it was 90 cals per slice. I don't get it! I even checked the wording...and in the MFP database it was listed several times, at different calories. I also noticed the same with my tuna...once it was 50 cals and the next time the can said 60. I thought I was going crazy but I double checked. I just make sure I check my stuff every single time...you never know!

I've noticed that things from BJ's will have the same exact name but are larger in size. For instance, I bought the Boca Burgers there and they were listed the same exact way, but they were larger than the normal ones and therefore more calories, etc. It's weird and kind of annoying...