ideal weight/body fat goals

Options
I am 5'6" and am currently about 149lbs (sometimes a little less usually no more than). That puts me in a size 7/8 pants, S/M tops & dresses depending on styles/brands. My goal was about 140lbs, which I thought was reasonable and a healthy goal.

I recently looked into the ideal body fat calculations for my frame/height etc and it puts a healthy body fat for me at a weight of 120-133lbs, currently I am - according to that calculation - at an unhealthy body fat ratio. I know I have some extra cushion in my midsection yet and my thighs but my abs are there (just under a small extra layer) and my calves are great right now, I honestly was surprised I would be at an unhealthy body fat ratio, I really thought it would be more at the high end of healthy....

I guess I'm wondering how accurate those ideals/calculations for body fat are and if aiming for under 133lbs or close to 120 is a good goal for me. I guess I can't really see loosing another 30lbs...

Replies

• jessleyisme
    Options
    From what I've read those charts are not reliable. It really depends on what your lean body mass index is compared to your fat percentage. Lean body mass (bones, muscles, organs) is more important than BMI in my opinion. The BMI scales are horrible, especially for people on the outliers of height and size. I personally am 5'11" and have an "extra large" frame (the type of frame many female pro athletes have) according to my doctor and we've had to come up with a goal weight according to my lean body mass. Even at that, we are going to see what happens as I continue to drop weight. Since you have been a healthy weight before set a familiar weight and goal and have your body fat and lean mass indexes calculated once you get down to determine where you should really be as far as numbers are concerned :)
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I have always gone by the guideline- 100 lbs for the first five feet of height, then five more lbs for every inch over five feet. It seems accurate to me, within a ten lb range to account for different frame sizes. I think we have all just gotten used to people with more padding. Our bodies are meant to be lean.

(not making any assumptions about you or your particular weight though. I didn't even look at your pics :)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5ft, 6 in :) I've been in maintenance for about three months and have been hovering in the 125 range/size 4 jeans. I just went back to weight loss mode this week, to get closer to 120lbs. I don't know my body fat percentage- I'm just going by the bmi caclulator, and 120 puts me at a little over 19, which is still in the healthy range, just on the lower end of it. I'd love to find my body fat percentage, need to look into getting a set of callipers!

My original goal was 135lbs and a size 8 jean. If I were you I'd just focus on getting to your original goal and the reavaluating once you get there :)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Go by how you feel! Do you feel healthy and fit? Are you satisfied with the size you are wearing? Does your doctor report your numbers from blood tests and check up are good? These measure mean much more than those charts and graphs!

Good job!:flowerforyou:
  • Matt82007
    Matt82007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your weight and your body fat do not directly correlate so you can't use that as an indicator. It's all about lean body mass as a percentage of total body weight. Of course, an ideal body fat % (if there is such a thing) will very from person to person. Especially women due to the difference in natural fat distribution. My girlfriend will never have as low of body fat as a thin girl with an A cup bra, such a girl should never has as high of body fat as the high range of healthy for her.
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I like the 100lbs for 5' and 5lbs for every inch after, that would put goal weight for 5'6" at 130lbs give or take 10lbs so that puts my goal at OK. Honestly I feel healthy & am super active having a 6 month old and a 5 year old plus i tend to waitress 5 days a week so I'm always moving, and my dr has said my weight is fine & i'm healthy it's a personal thing before having 2 kids I was 110lbs and a size 0 or 2 depending which to be 100% honest I look healthier now than in photos from back then (i was too skinny) but somewhere in the middle i think would be ideal...so i'll keep trucking toward 140lbs :)