How many pushups can you do

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
Im not talking girly style I mean full on military push- up how many? Im gonna go and see how many I can do

Replies

• mrsyac2
    Options
    Im not talking girly style I mean full on military push- up how many? Im gonna go and see how many I can do
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just got tired thinking about it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway: I can do about 10 good ones and then the rest are pretty shaky until I collapse :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I just had a fitness test, and I can do 18. Not only was I impressed, but I got a little "reminder" whenever I tried to do something with those muscles for about a week!:tongue:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    :noway: I did 10 and quit but thats a huge accomplishment for me because I used to not be able to do 1 good one but i could do the girly version- but i will keep working on it- hey the weight may not be coming off but at least my strength is gettin better
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    9 1/2.. but it hurts to do pushups cause my boobs haven't disappeared yet! :laugh:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    9 1/2.. but it hurts to do pushups cause my boobs haven't disappeared yet! :laugh:

I have never heard of boobs hurting from pushups-- I suffer from the big boobs disease (thats why i don't run it hurts too much I tried 2-3 sports bras) i used to play basketball in highschool and would wear 2-3 sports bras and them bad boys didn't stay still and my ribs would hurt afterwards-- it was brutal-- my boobs haven't disappeared but the waist gets smaller i went from a 38dd to a 36dd- get this when i was just 2 months prego they were and E thats right an E i stopped measuring the rest of the prego but kept stuffing them in my vickie secret bra's
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I just had a fitness test, and I can do 18. Not only was I impressed, but I got a little "reminder" whenever I tried to do something with those muscles for about a week!:tongue:

Thats good I am going to try again tomorrow because I am tired from my workout tonight- and plus House is on lol
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    now, to qualify as an "official" push-up you have to "break the plane" meaning your elbows have to break 90 degrees. The way to measure it for yourself is to put something under your chest that is about as tall as your fist like you are holding a coffee cup. After 2 years of none I can do about 5. I need to do about 16 in a minute in about a month. I got the run down again, and I got the situps...push ups not so much...
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    now, to qualify as an "official" push-up you have to "break the plane" meaning your elbows have to break 90 degrees. The way to measure it for yourself is to put something under your chest that is about as tall as your fist like you are holding a coffee cup. After 2 years of none I can do about 5. I need to do about 16 in a minute in about a month. I got the run down again, and I got the situps...push ups not so much...

Hey, that is cool - coffee cup test! I have to try that!
  • Davidsalthouse
    Options
    48 in 2 minutes for the academy. I did dips to get my # up, it worked well, I doubles my max in 4 weeks.
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    48 in 2 minutes for the academy. I did dips to get my # up, it worked well, I doubles my max in 4 weeks.

push ups are my weakness. I just dont have a strong chest. I have been working with an Army guy though. His advice to me was pump out as many as I can and then go to knee pushups. He said it isnt giving up because you are still working the muscles and eventually you will get up to where you want to be. He said the same with pullups, do as many as you can and then have someone hold your ankles (thankfully pullups are not part of my pt test...:wink: )
  • bettywannabe
    Options
    None and now my husband (Mr ex-drill instructor) is :laugh: his butt off.

So much for self confidence!

I would have liked to see him give birth........ who would be laughing then :grumble:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    None and now my husband (Mr ex-drill instructor) is :laugh: his butt off.

So much for self confidence!

I would have liked to see him give birth........ who would be laughing then :grumble:

Oh don't feel bad thats me and my husbands many jokes is that I couldn't do any besides the girly ones- and now I can do some so its a big deal-- Just keep trying I want to be able to do more and even pullups so i need to work my upper body more but its a start
  • mrsyac2
    Options

hey thats not fair your a cop-- lol-- I will get my skills up--
  • Davidsalthouse
    Options
    It is amazing how much strength you can muster when your job depends on it.

I was having trouble doing the required amount at first. I was lucky enough to bump into a strength trainer for the Army. He said, "if you want to more pushups, stop doing them. Replace them with dips, like off of a bench". I followed his advice and in 4 weeks time I made pretty good increase. I have passed this secret on to a few coworkers and it worked for them as well. Now if he only knew a way to loose the love handles I would be set. :bigsmile:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Puff Puff - I had to go try and see how many :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I got 13 good one. When I started my group power class I thought I'd die doing 5. (Had to test cause in class we do some bench press, then pushup and they make us go 1/2 down, full down, then 1/2 up, full up!) So it does pay off.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    "if you want to more pushups, stop doing them. Replace them with dips, like off of a bench".

...ouch, dips are killers! my upper body strength isn't fabulous...but I can do about 8 good ones, and before I collapse I can muster about 15. I'll stick with girl push ups and some dips- even though they KILL ME!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options

I have never heard of boobs hurting from pushups-- I suffer from the big boobs disease (thats why i don't run it hurts too much I tried 2-3 sports bras) i used to play basketball in highschool and would wear 2-3 sports bras and them bad boys didn't stay still and my ribs would hurt afterwards-- it was brutal-- my boobs haven't disappeared but the waist gets smaller i went from a 38dd to a 36dd- get this when i was just 2 months prego they were and E thats right an E i stopped measuring the rest of the prego but kept stuffing them in my vickie secret bra's
    Yeh I'ma 44 F right now(have been for almost 2yrs), so I know what you mean, but seriously when I do pushups, my boobs hurt, I think cause they are so heavy, just the strain of up and down.. and yeh, i don't run.. i'd have black eyes.. lol
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Um, your boobs hurt because you are working your pecs. Means you are doing them correctly.

I can't remember how many I can do. I think we do 20 in weights class, but we have a break in-between.
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    NONE!! BIG FAT 0

I just tried to make sure and fell on my boobs..and now they hurt.