Goal weight hit, now what.

Options
beachgod
beachgod Posts: 567 Member
I reached my arbitrary goal weight today but my body fat % is still in the high teens per my scale and I don't look how I want to per my mirror. I have made noticeable changes but I don't know what to do from here.
I'm 52 years old, 5'9" and as of this morning 155 lbs, 19% body fat and 23% BMI. Various websites put me at average or even ideal levels with those numbers but I disagree. I still have a gut and don't think I should have to become skinny to show some ab. So, what now? Do I keep dropping weight? I've been going to the gym for about 6 weeks and I know that isn't very long and I need to keep it up but what else? I really don't want to get any lighter and I see people who have 6 packs and they aren't skin and bones.

I think I look similar to the 20% guy in this photo, so how do I get to the 15 w/o becoming skeletal? The guy in the 15% isn't scrawny. I'd be thrilled to be in that condition.

body-fat-percentage-picture-men-women.jpg

Here's my before and after pics. After is a few days ago but I don't look any different than that today, only 2 lbs. difference.

0nll.jpg5aj.jpg

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Are you lifting? I think, given your goal, that a bulk cycle is going to get you the results you want. The scale will go up, but if you're on a good lifting program, it will be muscle, and your body fat percentage will drop.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Great job!

My suggestion would be to eat at maintenance calories for a while and lift heavy. You may even need to go through some bulk/cut cycles, but I don't have any experience with that, so I don't have much useful advice.

This is a really good group for advice on how to get a better physique and not just lose weight or get skinnier:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • beachgod
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! I've been lifting but as stated, not for very long. I know I need to keep hitting the gym. I'm not concerned about my weight going up if it is muscle, the number on the scale really doesn't matter to me at all.

I'm going to change my settings to maintenance and take a look at that group, so thanks again, ladies.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting and balancing out your macros correctly each week......
    results will continue.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You look great and if you are not happy with yourself, just make a new goal. I hit my GW some time ago and now I want to add a bit of muscle/tone. I want to be able to do stuff that avg people can't(eg. go hiking and wait for the others at the top while they are resting in the middle of the hill <#insert evil laughter here#>)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting. You've made amazing progress already. Time and exercise will give you the remaining progress you want. If you are happy with your weight (which seems to be ideal now) then just work on bulking now and follow the wonderful advise of the others who have been in your shoes.
  • soxfan2184
    soxfan2184 Posts: 48
    Options
    Now it's time to workout your abs i would recommend
    Crunches & sit-ups i would recommend 250 of each daily
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    I definitely second auddii to check out the Eat Train Progress group - lots of good info there.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My husband just talked to the owner of the gym we go to..he is wanting to bulk up some.not lose in weight..He is 5'8 158 lbs. He is lifting and was told to increase protein to around 85 g..i don't know if that helps..He don't want to be a monster by no means..Just a nice cut..and he is getting there..
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

Or, if you'd rather be efficient, squats and deadlifts.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting. Hopefully you've learned to enjoy working out and it has not just been a means to and end.

If you would like strength and muscle gains, like other suggested, try a bulk/cut cycle. If you're looking for just strength gains and slowly but surely composition changes you can eat at your maintenance or just slightly below and continue lifting heavy.

Congratulations on getting to your goal weight!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Or, if you'd rather be efficient, squats and deadlifts.

Ha, no kidding. 250 crunches and 250 situps would take forever!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting. Hopefully you've learned to enjoy working out and it has not just been a means to and end.

If you would like strength and muscle gains, like other suggested, try a bulk/cut cycle. If you're looking for just strength gains and slowly but surely composition changes you can eat at your maintenance or just slightly below and continue lifting heavy.

Congratulations on getting to your goal weight!

Yes, I agree with her.

Also, I like this calculator. There is a macro calculator for recompostion.
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • beachgod
    Options
    Squats and a few other exercises are out due to having sciatica a few years ago. I underwent physical therapy for it and was advised to avoid heavy downward pressure on my spine. I've since found out front, back and hack squats, standing calf raises like shown below and a few other exercises really make the pain flare up again, so the physical therapist was right.

Standing-calf-raises.gif

This site http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ calculated I should get down to 144 lbs. That's pretty light. I sort of do IF already by skipping lunch. I eat breakfast around 8-11 A.M. and supper around 8 P.M. so there's 12 hours without a meal. I sneak a snack or two in but not much. I think it helped me lose a few pounds but I don't intend on doing this forever.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You look great and if you are not happy with yourself, just make a new goal. I hit my GW some time ago and now I want to add a bit of muscle/tone. I want to be able to do stuff that avg people can't(eg. go hiking and wait for the others at the top while they are resting in the middle of the hill <#insert evil laughter here#>)

That is so cool and a very positive goal
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!