Anyone else with 100lb weight loss goal?

Options
Hey guys!

I was wondering if any of the fellow 100lb losers have the same problem as me?
I have lost ove half and feel great. I started at 230 pounds at Xmas so it has taken me about 6 months to get down to 178.
My goal is 130 pounds.

Has anyone else reached a point where they just plateau?? I was dropping quite quickly, but have found now I am fitter and can do more, my weight loss is slowing? How can I keep the weight loss dropping at the same pace? I run, do strength training, but whereas I would lose 2/3 lbs a week before, now I will lose 1 or sometimes loss nothing :(

Any tips??

Ps- yay to everyone on here who is changing their life! If I can do it then believe me you can! I couldn't run 2 minutes before without wanting to die lol

Replies

• jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started at 371lb and I've got down so far to 313lb, I probabaly want to get down to about 250lb minimum. I've had a few ups and downs but no plateu yet, although my weight loss has slowed down.

You'll find your calories expended in exercise will drop as your weight goes down as there is less of your body to move and overall your heart doesn't have to work as hard to keep the bloody pumping. Now would also probably be a good time to recalculate your BMR/TDEE.
  • mattdsoares
    Options
    This is common when losing lot of weight. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. The problem is as you lose more and more weight your body needs less calories to maintain itself, plus the same exersice that used to burn 400 calories now may only burn 200 because your body is in better shape.

To get through the plateau you'll need to either furher reduce your calorie intake or push yourself harder in workouts. For example, if your body needs 2500 calories a day to operate when you're 200 lbs and you go on a 2000 calorie diet you'll lose weight (about 1lb a week). Well now your weight has dropped and your exercises have become easier on your body, so your body doesn't need 2500 calories a day anymore. It may only burn 2000 between normal living and exercise, but you're eating 2000 still, so you'll plateau.

Use a good calorie calculator with your newest weight and exercise information to get an idea of what your body now need to maintain your current weight, and then redesign your program around that new number.
  • klhc21
    klhc21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have lost 37 of my 100lbs since mid January and experiencing the same issue. The first 20 flew off but the last 17 have taken longer. I am keeping within the calorie goal but instead of consistently doing the same fitness regimes I try to change it up as often as possible. I do take Cage Fitness twice a week regularly but the other days it's either bike riding, walking or swimming. Periodically I will meet with a friend who is training to be a personal trainer and let her guide my workout. While my weightloss has slowed it is still happening and I can tell my body is reshaping.
  • jessytenzin
    Options
    Thanks jst1986.

Wow well done on losing the weight!

I haven’t actually been tracking how the same exercises burn less calories as you lose weight-I wish I did now how interesting. It would be interesting to see how many calories were burnt in my gym sessions 6 mos ago to now.
    I do calculate my BMI and measure my heart rate, but I have actually never heard of the BMR/TDEE? What are these for?
  • jessytenzin
    Options
    Thanks mattdsoares

Sure it makes sense. I just feel like I am pushing myself hard with the exercise already, so pushing harder will be difficult…but hey this was never going to easy. I eat quite a low number of calories a day anyway, so eating less isn’t an option for me. I will push harder on the workouts! You’re right exercise has definitely become easier-hence I work out for longer. I think maybe I need to try new exercises now…I use the treadmill, bike and cross trainer at the gym about 3- 4 times a week, or sometimes swap a session for a light jog.

Sounds like now I need to change it up and do something different on my body! Thanks for the advice!
  • jessytenzin
    Options
    Thanks klhc21.

Well done on your loss so far!

Exactly the first few months I was dropping the weight like a pro athlete :) So now its frustrating me it has slowed down, when I am not doing anything wrong in terms of my eating and I am working out 4 times a week. I have realized that my exercise routine has stayed more or less the same throughout so I guess doing as you do and changing the routine may help kick start me again.

I can telly my body is changing too! Mainly from people commenting or my clothes being too big :)

It's great to see other people in my position of wanting to lose 100lb+ in that I am not alone :) We can all do it if we keep eachother on track! I needed a boost to get me pumped again. Thanks guys!
  • smwkent
    smwkent Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow, congrats on your weight loss. Keep up the good work
  • jessytenzin
    Options
    Thanks smwkent!

I definitely will! :) What are your goals?
  • tofitt0quit
    Options
    Make sure you are getting your full intake of calories. If you are doing that it sounds like you need to burn more calories. Try stepping your game up a little that should help!! I haven't reached a plateau yet I just know you have to work harder once you hit it.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I probably will eventually be a 100 lbs goal person but I have not decided yet. I set my goals in MFP to milestones right now. I started off just above 300 lbs and currently about 260 my next milestone is going to be 250 then probably 225 I will look at my body around that and decide if I want to go lower. My BMI will be in the overweight range at 200 but I do not think that BMI should determine where your healthy weight really is. I think around the 200 lbs range will look good on me and then I will probably work on building muscles to look good naked.

I haven't reached a real plateau yet but I do think I put on some water weight earlier this week Monday is my true weigh in day and will determine if I reached a slowing or stopping of the loss. I will say I got some help with my loss and am trying to recover from that a few weeks ago with a problem with my jaw I was not able to eat almost anything for close to 3 weeks I think in a weeks time I had 2 bowls of chicken noodle soup and a couple of helpings of apple sauce but that was not the healthiest thing to happen and I did not choose it. after those 3 weeks I did drop close to 20 lbs but after starting eating again I put 5 lbs back on but I expected that and stayed eating healthy.
  • jessytenzin
    Options
    tofitt0quit --> Yeah I'm definitely having to work harder now to carry on losing-stepping up my game from today! Gonna run up a ridiculously long hill :) (try too)

chadraeder3 --> I have done it the same way, I made every 10lb a milestone, when you have a lot to lose its best to approach it that way I think. I agree, I don't think the BMI takes into account natural differences in muscle mass/smaller/bigger/taller frames so there will always be variations. I do still want to get into what is deemed as the healthy bracket for BMI-really just after my doctor's advice for my health (family suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure) Wow I hope your jaw is better! Sounds painful.

johngordon315--> well it has taken me 6 months to lose 50, so if you can lose 100 in 6 thats great!! I want to lose this 50 as soon as I can! The only thing is when I started this, I decided I was going to do it naturally, just with changing how I eat and working out, I didnt want to rely on a product, as when I reach my goal weight and come off the product, I wouldn't want to relapse. I have seen people use a product and then gain all the weight as they havent overcome the problem of why they eat too much and not exercising. What is Isagenix- a thermogenic?
  • johngordon315
    Options
    Well this is not a product you ever come off of its a life style ! you just change the products your taking it is 2 meal replacments a day and few snakes ! also has a business side i am just starting to look in to . I encourage you to check out isamovie.com it will change your life ! like I said its not a product its a complete system and life style ! its a forever thing not just a for now till i get my goal thing !
  • johngordon315
    Options
    also check out join.isagenix.com I spend 15 years trying everything under the sun till I found this !
  • sandieecakes
    Options
    BMR = Basic Metabolic Rate (the amounnt of calories your body burns just to stay alive)

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expediture here is a link to a calculator where you can figure out both.

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
  • skasis_paradigm
    Options
    My advice to you is to change up your cardiovascular routines as much as you're comfortable with. I started at 348 and have dropped to 229 lbs, 5 of which came off from Monday to Wednesday, and all I do is change up the cardio every 2 to 3 weeks.

Also, you can try Tabata Training with the running in 20 second Intervals for 8 minutes total, 2 minutes of warm up and 2 minutes cool down, with 4 minutes devoted to sprinting for 20 seconds as fast as you can handle, followed by 10 seconds where you let the belt run beneath you before sprinting again (you do this 8 times in total) .
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Well this is not a product you ever come off of its a life style ! you just change the products your taking it is 2 meal replacments a day and few snakes ! also has a business side i am just starting to look in to . I encourage you to check out isamovie.com it will change your life ! like I said its not a product its a complete system and life style ! its a forever thing not just a for now till i get my goal thing !

NO NO NO!!! I wont live on meal "REPLACEMENTS!" food is GOOD. Food is a FRIEND. Food is NOT the enemy. LOL but seriously, not to attack anyone in particular because to each his own...but WHY try to starve the body skinny? I understand a shake or drink if ON THE RUN and you CANT cook. But if you CAN cook, and you CAN eat...WHY WOULDNT YOU?

We have to abandon the beliefs that LOW CALORIE, LESS FOOD is the way to lose weight. ITS A LIE!!!! The body needs Proteins, Carbs, Fruits and Veggies. PERIOD. Feed yourself dang it!
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    As for the topic, I havent hit a plateu yet but when I do Im guessing I will either up the exercise or lower the calories...But not by much...I think the question is this: If you are still losing (even at a slower rate) and you are in this for life, whats the rush? I FIRMLY believe we need to nourish the body and give it enough calories that it wont STORE. I see women on here with AMAZING losses that eat 2200 cals a day to Maintain. Im on 1500. The idea of going up or down frankly is hard for me to stomach but I will do whatever it takes to get to my goal weight in a PLEASANT, NON HARMFUL, NON DEPRIVATION kind of way. :)

Sorry for all the caps, I think I may have had to much caffeine today ;)
  • johngordon315
    Options
    some people need to really do research on what they are consuming in to there bodies and the real food your talking about ..... its GMO! when you have 100% alkaline body and are taking in exactly what the body needs ! please inform your self ! check out isamovie.com systems for every need not just weight loss ! check the water you drink for heavy metal deposits, why coffee prevents weight loss, why carbonated water eats your bone calcium, educate your self on all the so called real food your ingest each day .... MOST real foods are nutritionally deprived stating with the soil they are grown in ! with the crazy antibiotics they feed, to chickens beef, and so on ....... we are on 2 completely different levels of nutrition. 1st i fully educated my self on GMO vegitables then water, then more on soil and vegetables, then animals, then found an amazing system that can meet and exceed my goals and total nutritional goals for life not just now not later for life ! and ISAGENIX does all of that for me. I can go on and on but this has worked for me and now I fully understand 100% of everything that goes in to my body. my wife is 100% off her allergy and sinus meds, I'm off high blood pressure , and no longer on the brink of being diabetic, and the only thing we changed was adding ISAGENIX to our life and educating our selves on the foods we do eat !
  • johngordon315
    Options
    and for the record I do eat ! "real food! non gmo vegetables no antibiotic no hormone animals, do tds test my water, and all the food and shakes and bars and all very delirious. never starving in fact I cant finish most of my meals. then your food if packed full of the actual nutrition you need you are not craving and are not hungry. thought I would add that
  • jessytenzin
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the comments guys!

johngordon315--> Well I'm glad you have found something that works for you, thats the main thing-you have lost weight. I think for me, like gabrielleross says, I really like to make sure I still eat not only good foods but I sometimes like to treat myself to something bad too :) I want a balance that essentially, I can keep up happily for life. Congrats on your success so far and I'm sure you will lose the next 100 very quickly :)

sandieecakes--> thanks for the links, I will take a look. Its interesting its not something I have come across before. I have literally only just come across calorie/points counting and BMI. Every little helps so thanks

skasis_paradi--> thanks for the exercise tips-you look like you know what you're talking about! Wow you're dropping it quickly. that is what I want, to carry on the pace of weight loss I was at the start. I will definitly try the interval training-my brother actually advised this. Why is it that the interval training is said to be so much more effective than exercising at the same pace? As in why is it that upping/lowering your heart rate means you burn more fat than if you were exercising at the same pace?

gabrielleross--> I'm with you! I'm a foodie (which is why I gained 100 pounds lol) I cannot cut out foods, I have to eat! I have just learnt to completely change the way I view food. As you said, I factor in the nutritional benefit. If I want something bad- I just ask myself is it worth it, as in do I really want to work out to burn this off..If the answer is no then I leave it :) When I was at my biggest, I was depressed and desperate- I nearly went in for gastric band surgery! But I decided you know what, exercise and healthy eating is the only way I can do this successfully on my own. It's worked great so far, its just this last 45 odd pounds to go but its getting harder!

Lovely to hear from everyone! X