Physical benefits that you have noticed

Options
Hi All -

Interested in hearing about some of the physical benefits of weight loss that you have noticed. I suspect that they only really start at the 20+ lb mark. I have lost 10 pounds and am very motivated - hearing about some of the physical benefits will only push me harder. Things I have heard from friends, etc. are: better sleep, more stamina, better breathing, better joint health.

Please share - thanks.

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Better breathing, better sleep, LESS STRESSED!, radiant skin, more energy, happier in general (probably a lot easier to be around, too!). Weirdly enough I always had nails that were flimsy, brittle and weak, but my nails have grown in really strong. I'm assuming it is diet related because I tried everything to get them to grow (ok as a guy maybe that doesn't excite you as much as a woman!). The list goes on & on!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    The biggest change for me was my breathing after even minor exertions. I work in a large building, and before I lost my weight when I just walked to the other side of the building I'd be out of breath, but this morning I noticed that I went across the to the other side, walking fast because I wanted to get back to my work, and I wasn't even phased at all - heart rate wasn't up to a noticeable level and I wasn't breathing any harder than I would just sitting at my desk. Stairs don't really bother me any more either. It's a great feeling but makes me realize how bad of shape I was in before. Now, I know I'm still not in shape, but compared to what I was before - holy crap.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can get up and down out of a chair without my knees hurting. I bend and shave my legs in the shower without straining to reach my ankles. I can cross my right foot behind my left knee while sitting and it is now comfortable. It is easier to tie my sneakers. My complexion has cleared considerably. I had to switch my 10 year anniversary band to my right ring finger from my left because it almost slipped off in the shower. (why does your dominant hand have bigger fingers? IDK lol) Little things but they mean a lot because they make you feel so good.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The physical benefits are huge: joint pain just about gone, stairs no longer an effort (except when carrying heavy loads--all weighing less than the amount I've lost!), increased stamina and ability to walk long distances, even on hilly terrain, less overheating from physical exertion, less acid reflux, lower BP, and even finding daily hygiene easier, because I don't have so much fat in the way.

Emotionally--how do you quantify the feeling when your pants won't stay up, buying regular instead of plus sizes, and just generally feeling more in control of your own body??

And I still have 72 pounds to lose! What will I be like when I get there?
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just feeling better is the best benefit I can think of noticing
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    physical endurance for sure, but also being able to cross my legs more comfortably, seeing the start of some muscle definition and seeing/feeling bones I had 'lost' (collar and hip for examples) I look forward to the day I can feel my ribs :happy:
  • dave21286
    Options
    Thanks for all of the posts!

I have read that being overweight induces inflammation through the body which is manifested in many ways: joint problems, high BP, headaches, etc.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the posts!

I have read that being overweight induces inflammation through the body which is manifested in many ways: joint problems, high BP, headaches, etc.

that makes sense to me, I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and I feel much better these days. My BP has gone down, but I still get headaches.
  • dave21286
    Options
    I am hoping that as I lose more weight, my flexibility increases. I was never very flexible to begin with, but the weight gain over the years has made it much worse.