general health/food guidelines you have in your household

Options
mellynat
mellynat Posts: 345 Member
So I'm curious to know what are some of your general rules/guidelines w food in your household? What you allow and what you dont? What to say to kids and what not to..

I have 3 young kids and I want to establish a healthy view about food and overall healthy eating and staying active. I started MFP 2 yrs ago. and my 4.5yr old has caught on to my "logging my food & water". And loves to reminds me days I didnt' workout.. I teach him exercise makes you strong and healthy.. He loves to ask a lot of questions and some days I fear I will answer one the wrong way and give him the wrong impression about food and health.. My parents didn't really set up a good example for me. Lunch & dinner barely consisted of any veggies or fruits. and desert always had to follow or the meal was not complete.. I just started to learn about nutrition and portion sizes myself when I started MFP..

I appreciate any feedback! thank u!

Replies

• Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My kids are very aware of food, both good and bad due to several members in our family including myself have food allergies. We also don't allow anything with Aspartame in the house, no HFCS, no artifical dyes, preservatives. Before anyone freaks out my kids still get treats, but they are the made from scratch kind. :) My kids know that they have to have at least a no thank you bite/serving depending on their age of an item on their plate. They don't have to have seconds if they don't want too. that's some of the stuff off the top of my head.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Growing up with a Type 1 diabetic, we didn't really allow sugar except for orange juice in the house. Diet Coke was a standard drink (and still is). We don't buy many packaged/boxed foods. They're not forbidden, exactly, but is not encouraged in my household to frequently buy them.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    with 2 kids who have swallowed all the "fat and carbs are bad jargon", pretty much the only thing we talk about is the idea that what's healthy is based on what a certain person needs, and what's unhealthy is what that person already has enough/too much off.

My kids often ask if whatever they are about to eat is healthy. My response is always, "What else have you had to eat today." I want them to lean balanced eating including fats, carbs and protein. I'll never call a cookie healhy, but I want them to learn that it's not always some kind of horrible devil food either. Similarly, a cheese stick could be viewed as unhealthy if it's their 12th one of the day.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The only 'set in stone' rule at our house in regards to the kids is no juice, no soda and no gum. I'm pretty laid back about everything else :)
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    there's sort of an unspoken rule in our house against doughnuts. hubby grew up in a household that was VERY focused on healthy, balanced eating, so he won't even look at a doughnut 364 times out of 365, and i have diabetes, so nothing good can come from me chowing on doughnuts. the only exception we'll typically make is for fat tuesday (mardi gras), i will absolutely hunt down some pączki and make it fit into my day! :drinker: