my 5k tomorrow.......

Options
what should I have for breakfast.......if I eat heavy I get nauseuos, if I don't eat enough I get hunger pains........any suggestions?

Replies

• ghdsmais
    ghdsmais Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Toast with peanut butter works for me.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with a banana cut up in it! no dairy. or some type of power energy bar. or if you can choke down dry toast. all sit in your tummy well & give you energy for your run :) good luck!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana if it's early in the morning. That's pretty easy on the tummy and will hold you over until after the race. They usually have water and snacks for you at the finish line.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have a light breakfast about 2 hours before the race (typically cereal w/soy milk or a granola bar). Then about 15 minutes before the start I will eat a gel with a couple swallows of water. I make sure I'm hydrated but don't go overboard with this -- usually 1-2 glasses of water is plenty, starting a couple hours before the race. If your pee is clear you have probably had too much water!

Edit: Oh, and good luck and have fun!
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i don't eat anything before a 5k then after I make a batch of protein french toast Mmmm.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, you would already know what types and how much food you should eat before a race, because you would have practiced. Only you know how your body will react to different meals, and you can only find that out by testing it. If you want to continue running 5k races I strongly suggest you experiment with pre-race nutrition during your training so you can find YOUR perfect breakfast. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

That said, here are a few things that have worked for me (when eaten 1 hour to 1.5 hours prior to start time):
    banana + tablespoon peanut butter
    piece of toast + tablespoon peanut butter
    half a bagel + tablespoon peanut butter
    (I really like peanut butter OK)

Sometimes I will have a SMALL cup of black coffee with my breakfast but this causes some people to run for the porta-potties so be careful.

Don't wait until tomorrow morning to start hydrating--start now (but as another poster said, don't overdo it).

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My pre 5K was always...Powerbar, 20oz Gatorade, RedBull.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! Wish me luck! :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I usually have a scrambled egg on wheat toast and half a banana. Make sure to avoid dairy. The combination of heat and bouncing can cause the dairy to curdle in your stomach and make you sick.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I will not leave the house without drinking coffee with milk and never had any issues with the dairy. Now I'm not saying you should eat of bowl of cereal, that sounds like it might not settle well. I've never heard to avoid dairy before running. A piece of toast with peanut butter is great. A banana is great.

ETA Good Luck and may you run many more!!!!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I went with a banana and toast w/peanut butter! My stomach was great and I finished my race in 33:13!! I wanted to finish under 30 but hey! there's always next weeks' race!!!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do whatever is my normal for morning.. usually my smoothie.. bananas are good...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Do what you normally do before you run. I'm happiest when I eat a decent dinner and run on an empty stomach if it's an early run.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I went with a banana and toast w/peanut butter! My stomach was great and I finished my race in 33:13!! I wanted to finish under 30 but hey! there's always next weeks' race!!!

Great job! Congratulations!