another question about coconut oil :)

Options
BeckyAnne4
BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
looking to add it into my diet as a healthy fat, so i would like some recommendations. here's the info i am looking for -

what brand do you buy?

how much do you usually buy at once?

based on how *you* are using it, how long does it last you?

where are you buying yours from?

and

for those of you who do this; what did you think the first time you put it in your coffee? :drinker:

Replies

• Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We buy it by the gallon, thru Wilderness Natural Family. We use it for everything, cooking, in my smoothies, as lotion and etc. It lasts about 3mos.
  • lookgreatfast
    lookgreatfast Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    question..is coconut oil better than olive oil? what about deep frying and sauteeing?
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I go through spurts with my coconut oil and I really should start doing it again. I buy Tropical Traditions off of their website and Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin. I tried eating spoonfuls of it and just couldn't. When I do use it, the jars last awhile cause I don't use it for cooking that much. I usually cook with water. I did try a recipe where you take coconut oil and add chocolate and freeze it. That was an easy way to use it.

Oh....I tried the coffee and tea thing and hated it.:ohwell:
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    II use it but dont eat it. I know people that cook with it. Thought I would share my uses for it.:smile:

I looked up 100 uses for coconut oil a few months ago. Have been using it ever since for : my hair, & face. My hair is healthier, my skin looks nicer ( the best its looked since I had my lil one...5 years ago!!) good for under eyes & wrinkles & makes your skin all around soft! ( was able to give up the expensive cosmetic store brand that did NOTHING for my face, just empty my pockets!) My hair is shinnier and it tames the frizz. I buy mine at fresh and easy or sprouts. I JUST ran out of it and have to replenish today. I buy the jar and has lasted 3 months. I use it EVERY day.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cooking with Coconut oil is so much better for you then oilve oil. Make sure that your olive oil is real olive oil. The ones in the clear color bottles apparently are mixed with canola oil. :-( SO we started buying oil that has the California Olive council seal on the bottle. Because in California it needs to be pure olive oil in order to be sold.

I mainly use olive oil to dilute my essential oils. I love coconut oil for other stuff. I Love sunflower oil as well, but the local farm that I used to buy it from, sprays the grounds with round up first. And I'm against anything from Monosanto aka Round Up.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but I do add it to my hot green tea. 1 tablespoon of it, sometimes I'll add 1 tablespoon of butter and heavy cream with the coconut oil, it totally kills my appetite for hours.

Brand varies for me, right now I have a jar of Spectrum. It will last me about 2 weeks.

I don't use EVOO anymore, I like the coconut oil better.