Looking for some advice on how many cals I should be eating

Options
There is so much conflicting advice on here that I'm not very confused.
I was sticking to 1200 cals a day and lost 14lb in the last 2 months. Now my weight loss has stalled at 139-140lbs. (I'm 5'4.5)

My BMR is 1456.7.

I don't exercise a lot, I work from home 5 days a week and at the weekends my job involves working with kids outdoors, so there is a reasonable amount of moving around involved.

I try to do 50 sumo squats a day and attend a boxfit class once a week for 1 hour.

How much should I be eating to continue to lose weight?

Ideally I would like to lose between 7-14lb by 13 August when I am going on holiday and I know I will be eating more (however I will be doing more walking and swimming too).

I'd appreciate any help and advice.

Replies

• HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    What amount of calories does MFP recommend after you input all your stats?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest eating 1500 calories (above BMR), and logging and eating back exercise calories.

I would aim to lose inches. By losing 7-14lbs, you still may not have the results you are after, but if you focus more on building muscle and losing inches, you will most likely enjoy those results more. You can see inch loss. Pound loss is harder to see.
  • wokeupnew
    wokeupnew Posts: 17 Member
    Options

How do I find this out?
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It gets much harder to lose weight the less you have to lose. Try upping your calories for a few weeks to about 1300 - 1400 and see if that kickstarts the loss again. Otherwise increase cals AND do more exercise. But the important thing is the way you look, not what the scales say. You might not be losing weight, but is your body shape changing? Take measurements.
  • wokeupnew
    Options
    I'm going to suggest eating 1500 calories (above BMR), and logging and eating back exercise calories.

I would aim to lose inches. By losing 7-14lbs, you still may not have the results you are after, but if you focus more on building muscle and losing inches, you will most likely enjoy those results more. You can see inch loss. Pound loss is harder to see.

That is my main aim, I'm not all too worried about my actual weight in terms of numbers on a scale, but my real goal is to fit a UK size 10 comfortably. I started at a UK size 14 at 154lb.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ditto the question about MFP recommendations.

If you're eating 250 c/day under your BMR you're not eating enough. Need to eat at least that much (BMR). Guessing you should be around 1600 (if you're not eating back; 1500 if you are) - how old are you?
  • wokeupnew
    Options
    It gets much harder to lose weight the less you have to lose. Try upping your calories for a few weeks to about 1300 - 1400 and see if that kickstarts the loss again. Otherwise increase cals AND do more exercise. But the important thing is the way you look, not what the scales say. You might not be losing weight, but is your body shape changing? Take measurements.

Thanks,
    I have been taking measurements as well, but these haven't been changing recently.
    I've lost most off my stomach, about 4.5 inches in 2 months, and an inch or 2 off my hips, but it's my thighs I'm struggling with at the moment.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm close to your stats, so I'll give my advice -

I'm 5'5 and did 1200 cals and lost for 7 weeks (lost a total of 9 pounds). Then I stalled for 4 weeks. I upped my cals to 1400 and got a FitBit. Now i'm losing again (Lost 1.2 last week, 10 pounds left to goal).

I also don't exercise much not because I don't have time, but medical issues. I make sure to get a brisk walk in everyday at lunch, and sometimes after work. On the weekend I run errands like crazy and that seems to help. Also the FitBit was a godsend because it turns out I wasn't exercising like I thought I was. MFP overestimates calories like crazy, at least it did for me. It said on my yoga and walking days I was burning 300, it was closer to 125.

Eat more. you need to play around with calories to find what works for you.
  • wokeupnew
    Options

If you're eating 250 c/day under your BMR you're not eating enough. Need to eat at least that much (BMR). Guessing you should be around 1600 - how old are you?

How do I find out how much MFP recommends?
    I'm 24.
  • kr1stadee
    Options

That is my main aim, I'm not all too worried about my actual weight in terms of numbers on a scale, but my real goal is to fit a UK size 10 comfortably. I started at a UK size 14 at 154lb.

Awesome, too many get wrapped up in scale numbers (I'm finally getting out of this mindset!)
    Maybe try something like the 30 Day Shred - from what I see, many have lost a lot of inches that way.
  • wokeupnew
    Options
    I'm close to your stats, so I'll give my advice -

I'm 5'5 and did 1200 cals and lost for 7 weeks (lost a total of 9 pounds). Then I stalled for 4 weeks. I upped my cals to 1400 and got a FitBit. Now i'm losing again (Lost 1.2 last week, 10 pounds left to goal).

I also don't exercise much not because I don't have time, but medical issues. I make sure to get a brisk walk in everyday at lunch, and sometimes after work. On the weekend I run errands like crazy and that seems to help. Also the FitBit was a godsend because it turns out I wasn't exercising like I thought I was. MFP overestimates calories like crazy, at least it did for me. It said on my yoga and walking days I was burning 300, it was closer to 125.

Eat more. you need to play around with calories to find what works for you.

Thanks for the advice and congrats on your loss so far.
    I think I'll try upping calories to 1500, I've been eating over my 1200 cals the last few days so I think my body just needs more.
    Just a bit frightened about gaining!
  • wokeupnew
    Options

Awesome, too many get wrapped up in scale numbers (I'm finally getting out of this mindset!)
    Maybe try something like the 30 Day Shred - from what I see, many have lost a lot of inches that way.

I've tried 30DS but I can hardly make it through 15 mins of it! I give all the people who have done it huge props!
    I'm so unfit!
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think part of it, is just going to be trial and error. Use the time and experiment until you figure out what your maintenance calories are. That's what i had to do. Despite what MFP or other various sites tried to tell me. Now i finally have it figured out. I'm currently a few hundred calories below maintenance and i'm losing weight. Lost a half an inch around the waist, and it's only been a month. I'm going to do this for two more weeks, then go back to maintenance calories for a 4-6 weeks. After that, i shouldn't have gained or lost weight. If that goes as planned, i'm adding 300-500 calories a week and going on the "get big" plan. But it all came down to a few weeks of playing around and tweaking calorie intake until i found out what i needed.

So i would play around with the numbers until you get it all figured out. Just a suggestion.
  • kr1stadee
    Options

If you're eating 250 c/day under your BMR you're not eating enough. Need to eat at least that much (BMR). Guessing you should be around 1600 - how old are you?

I'm 24.

When you set up your account, you put in your stats, activity level and goal. That gives you how many calories you need to eat. MFP tends to slap everyone that picks a higher pounds-per-week goal with 1200 calories because that's the lowest it can go.

You should pick no more that 1 pound per week. Slower is better

On your home page, go to Goals, then click Change Goals.. then pick the option of having MFP set your goals. Adjust from there if you want to use the MFP settings.

You can choose the Custom setting and put in, say, 1500 calories, as well
  • HealthWoke0ish
    Options

How do I find this out?
    When you log in, click on the "My Home" tab and then click on the "Goals" tab. On the "Goals" screen, click on the "Change Goals" button and input your information. I'm gonna predict that at your age, weight and activity, MFP tells you to eat 1500 cals or something like that (for a 1 lb a week loss).

ETA: Good luck to you! :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    Options
    I think part of it, is just going to be trial and error. Use the time and experiment until you figure out what your maintenance calories are. That's what i had to do. Despite what MFP or other various sites tried to tell me. Now i finally have it figured out. I'm currently a few hundred calories below maintenance and i'm losing weight. Lost a half an inch around the waist, and it's only been a month. I'm going to do this for two more weeks, then go back to maintenance calories for a 4-6 weeks. After that, i shouldn't have gained or lost weight. If that goes as planned, i'm adding 300-500 calories a week and going on the "get big" plan. But it all came down to a few weeks of playing around and tweaking calorie intake until i found out what i needed.

So i would play around with the numbers until you get it all figured out. Just a suggestion.

I agree with this suggestion/recommendation. Experimentation will be key to you fine-tuning your fitness program. :)
  • wokeupnew
    Options
    MFP is telling me to eat 1360 a day, if that helps. Have mentioned 1 hour of workouts per week, plus my weight height and age.
  • wokeupnew
    Options

I'm 24.

When you set up your account, you put in your stats, activity level and goal. That gives you how many calories you need to eat. MFP tends to slap everyone that picks a higher pounds-per-week goal with 1200 calories because that's the lowest it can go.

On your home page, go to Goals, then click Change Goals.. then pick the option of having MFP set your goals. Adjust from there if you want to use the MFP settings.

Thanks for your help. It's recommending I eat 1360 a day.
  • kr1stadee
    Options

I'm 24.

What do you have set for pounds per week, and activity level? I'd imagine you aren't sedentary.. you should probably be set at lightly active - you move around you clean, you cook.. walk places.. you wouldn't count these things as official exercises, but they should be considered when you choose your activity level. I don't think you should be under 1500.
  • wokeupnew
    Options

I'm 24.

What do you have set for pounds per week, and activity level? I'd imagine you aren't sedentary.. you should probably be set at lightly active - you move around you clean, you cook.. walk places.. you wouldn't count these things as official exercises, but they should be considered when you choose your activity level. I don't think you should be under 1500.

I have 1lb per week set at lightly active, which is what gets me 1360! i think I will just try and stick to 1500 and under.
    I really overeat between 9pm-12pm so having an extra 300 cals a day should give me some calories to much on in the evening.

You've been really helpful (: