Looking for some advice on how many cals I should be eating

Options
2»

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Ditto the question about MFP recommendations.

If you're eating 250 c/day under your BMR you're not eating enough. Need to eat at least that much (BMR). Guessing you should be around 1600 - how old are you?

How do I find out how much MFP recommends?
    I'm 24.

When you set up your account, you put in your stats, activity level and goal. That gives you how many calories you need to eat. MFP tends to slap everyone that picks a higher pounds-per-week goal with 1200 calories because that's the lowest it can go.

You should pick no more that 1 pound per week. Slower is better

On your home page, go to Goals, then click Change Goals.. then pick the option of having MFP set your goals. Adjust from there if you want to use the MFP settings.

You can choose the Custom setting and put in, say, 1500 calories, as well

Thanks for your help. It's recommending I eat 1360 a day.

What do you have set for pounds per week, and activity level? I'd imagine you aren't sedentary.. you should probably be set at lightly active - you move around you clean, you cook.. walk places.. you wouldn't count these things as official exercises, but they should be considered when you choose your activity level. I don't think you should be under 1500.

I have 1lb per week set at lightly active, which is what gets me 1360! i think I will just try and stick to 1500 and under.
    I really overeat between 9pm-12pm so having an extra 300 cals a day should give me some calories to much on in the evening.

You've been really helpful (:

I'm glad to see someone looking for better ways to lose weight! hehe
    I think you'll have great success, especially if it stops you from overeating due to hunger in the evening!
    Good luck!
  • wokeupnew
    wokeupnew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ditto the question about MFP recommendations.

If you're eating 250 c/day under your BMR you're not eating enough. Need to eat at least that much (BMR). Guessing you should be around 1600 - how old are you?

How do I find out how much MFP recommends?
    I'm 24.

When you set up your account, you put in your stats, activity level and goal. That gives you how many calories you need to eat. MFP tends to slap everyone that picks a higher pounds-per-week goal with 1200 calories because that's the lowest it can go.

You should pick no more that 1 pound per week. Slower is better

On your home page, go to Goals, then click Change Goals.. then pick the option of having MFP set your goals. Adjust from there if you want to use the MFP settings.

You can choose the Custom setting and put in, say, 1500 calories, as well

Thanks for your help. It's recommending I eat 1360 a day.

What do you have set for pounds per week, and activity level? I'd imagine you aren't sedentary.. you should probably be set at lightly active - you move around you clean, you cook.. walk places.. you wouldn't count these things as official exercises, but they should be considered when you choose your activity level. I don't think you should be under 1500.

I have 1lb per week set at lightly active, which is what gets me 1360! i think I will just try and stick to 1500 and under.
    I really overeat between 9pm-12pm so having an extra 300 cals a day should give me some calories to much on in the evening.

You've been really helpful (:

I'm glad to see someone looking for better ways to lose weight! hehe
    I think you'll have great success, especially if it stops you from overeating due to hunger in the evening!
    Good luck!

I've actually just noticed MFP says:
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,860 calories/day
    So it was suggesting 1360 to lose 1lb a week with no exercise (planning to just log this as I do it!)

Thanks again, I hope it does! I've done unhealthy dieting before and it's just not sustainable, though great in terms of weight loss initially.
    Hoping I can get rid of some of these lb now!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am only a touch taller than you at 5'6" my BMR is 1450 I am currently 153 pounds. I started with 1200 cals and ate back exercise cals and lost about 19 pounds in 3 months and now have been stalled for 3 months. I upped my cals to 1450 yesterday. That's sedentary TDEE-20% (my TDEE for sedentary as I have a desk job is 1850 so if I ate this and did not exercise I would maintain). I will also be eating back most of my exercise calories. Hoping upping my cals helps with the plateau. Good luck! I think doing the same will help you too. I am trying to lose another 18 pounds and I think as you get closer to goal you have to start to eat more. Also, I exercise daily. Maybe try and increase that some too!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in ...for the eat more debate and TDEE - 20% ....
  • wokeupnew
    wokeupnew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am only a touch taller than you at 5'6" my BMR is 1450 I am currently 153 pounds. I started with 1200 cals and ate back exercise cals and lost about 19 pounds in 3 months and now have been stalled for 3 months. I upped my cals to 1450 yesterday. That's sedentary TDEE-20% (my TDEE for sedentary as I have a desk job is 1850 so if I ate this and did not exercise I would maintain). I will also be eating back most of my exercise calories. Hoping upping my cals helps with the plateau. Good luck! I think doing the same will help you too. I am trying to lose another 18 pounds and I think as you get closer to goal you have to start to eat more. Also, I exercise daily. Maybe try and increase that some too!

My TDEE is 1740 - 20% is 1392 so I'll maybe try at around 1400 for a while and see how I go with that.
    Is it OK if I add you as a friend? It'd be nice to have some friends around my height/weight.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

My TDEE is 1740 - 20% is 1392 so I'll maybe try at around 1400 for a while and see how I go with that.
    Is it OK if I add you as a friend? It'd be nice to have some friends around my height/weight.

Friends :)