Is wieght loss an appropriate thing to put on a resume?

Options

Replies

• xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i work in human resources & i can tell you right now NOT to put that on your resume.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would suggest leaving it off....
  • flashesbuck
    flashesbuck Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ummm, NO! I work in HR and this falls along the lines of adding a picture to your resume, or putting that you are a domestic engineer when you are a stay at home mom. :laugh:

thanks i wanted to here it from an HR person
  • BethW01
    BethW01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work in HR and while I am super proud of you for your lose, you shouldn't put any personal info on a resume.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I'm a hiring manager and there are two problems I would have with something like that. First is that unless it is related to the job you are applying for, you are taking up my time reading irrelevant information, and that would make me question the applicant's judgement and I'd wonder if I was going to constantly be given irrelevant information on the job because the applicant can't tell what is appropriate for a given situation.

Second, since there have been discrimination lawsuits filed by people claiming they were fired for being overweight, unattractive, etc. many hiring managers would just avoid the potential by not interviewing you. You may have lost a lot of weight, but the person reading your resume can't tell if you are still overweight, reached your goal, etc. Why run the risk of interviewing someone who might sue you if you don't hire them? Low probability, and I'm not implying you would, but if the hiring manager has other qualified people to choose from, why take the risk? It's a red flag that you are going out of your way to make sure I'm aware of something that I'm not allowed to use as a decision factor. That's what people do who go on interviews with the goal of being able to sue the company. It's safer to not interview you.

So, the bottom line is that it won't open any doors for you, but could you out.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not...as a hiring manager that kind of thing would eliminate you from my pool of candidates. Show me how your dedication and determination yielded results in prior positions.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Only if you spell it right ????
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Great work on the weight loss. But i agree with the others. I would just keep that off the resume.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I have also worked with people helping them find jobs, and would suggest not doing it. It really depends on the position...gym? maybe. ww, sure! lululemon, totally.

I have also screened resumes for several places I worked at, if I saw it it would catch my attn, but it probably wouldn't be in your best interest. I say 'no'
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As a hiring manager, I would advise against it, especially for jobs outside your current organization. Knowing the percentage of people that regain the weight after weight loss many potentials hirers may consider that and the impact it could have on company insurance rates. Many companies takes the weight of applicants into consideration for this very reason. People think it's aesthetics, but often thinner people are hired for monetary reasons. Obesity is one pre-existing condition that it's hard to hide.

Within your company I suppose it couldn't hurt since there should be no impact on insurance.
  • IrritatedDoro
    IrritatedDoro Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In general no; however, it might be appropriate for a fitness related career - particularly if the weight gain was due to an injury or something similar. It might also be appropriate in a cover letter when introducing your tenacity to meet goals - again dependent upon what the position you are applying for is. Although you might not provide all the details, but after including relevant work and education experience, you might chose to put in something like: "My work ethic also spills over into my personal life, where for the last _____ months I have diligently been striving to get healthier and more fit, with a great deal of success."
  • taromina2003
    taromina2003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a former Human Resources Manager I wouldn't do it, they will trash your resume in a heartbeat! just like when we got resumes that had pictures attached to them, we didn't want to be accused of hiring someone for their looks etc, now on the other hand you could simply state you enjoy keeping fit as a hobby and leave it at that. Although losing 80 lbs is a remarkable achievement and you should be proud it really has nothing to do with the job unless you are applying for something in the field of weight loss or fitness. JMHO
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Negative
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    When i interviewed for my current job, one of the questions asked how i have recently improved/ bettered myself. i used the fact that i had recently lost 60 lbs.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Only if it was relevant to the job you're applying for. Otherwise, you're risking them saying "WTF does this have to do with anything?" You don't want them thinking you may be adding fluff to your resume to cover a flaw or lack of relevant performance.

It might also make whoever is taking the applications uneasy, because it may sound to them like fodder for a weight-based discrimination claim.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    When i interviewed for my current job, one of the questions asked how i have recently improved/ bettered myself. i used the fact that i had recently lost 60 lbs.

This I think is okay. You're answering an open-ended question. You're not formally volunterring this information on a resume.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Not unless it is in any way relevant to your job, in a fitness or health setting....As someone else commented, I would only use it if asked what recent accomplishments/improvements you've had.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I like to somehow mention to people that I've been able to lose weight, while in the actual interview. It shows dedication and determination, without actually saying how awesome you are :-)
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    No!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you are applying to Subway to replace Jared.