SODIUM!!!!! Lets chat

Options
Okay so I just wrote how pissed off I am because I am not loosing. Some told me its my sodium (usually about 3500 mg a day). Why is it that a female at 150 and a male at 280 have the same sodium intake goal (2500) even though the calorie intake could be over 1,000 difference. Is that truly the Saboteur? Give me some thoughts on this. Thanks for help in advance

Replies

• mram81
    mram81 Posts: 15
    Options
    Although MFP changes the calories, fat, etc proportionately, I have found that some of the stats don't change. 2500mg of sodium is still based on a 2000calorie a day diet. Calcium and other vitamins are still 100%--on a 2000cal diet. The FDA has actually changed the food pyramid this year and 1500mg of sodium is the new recommended intake for a 2000cal diet. Hope this helps, I am not very good at explaining things. If you are worried about too much sodium try to take it down to the 1500...I tried it and it is really hard to keep up unless you are eating nothing but fruits and veggies. Good Luck!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I don't think sodium intake is based on weight. I may be wrong, but I think 2500 is just an average across the board for most people.

If you aren't losing it may be your sodium, it may be other reasons. How long has it been since you haven't lost any weight? I mean no weight at all, not even .5 of a pound.

If you are losing slowly, but that isn't fast enough it probably isn't just the sodium, it might just be your body or the foods you are eating. If you aren't losing at all, try cutting back on the sodium and if you still don't lose, you might want to see your doctor and have your thyroid and other things checked.

Good luck.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I think 2500 is an amount that is standard and healthy for a diet,good question though,if you are consistently going over by 1000 that is probably a big part of your plateu issue,specially if you are lifting hard.

My two cents!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I try and keep mine under 2000. If I go over the 2500 on my planner, I tend to retain weight. Not sure if it related, but seems to be!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I found the wikipedia article on salt very interesting. It can be found at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

But in summary this is the intake recommendation.

In the United Kingdom the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) recommended in 2003 that, for a typical adult, the Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI) is 4 g salt per day (1.6 g or 70 mmol sodium). However, average adult intake is two and a half times the Reference Nutrient Intake for sodium. SACN states, "The target salt intakes set for adults and children do not represent ideal or optimum consumption levels, but achievable population goals."[54] The Food Safety Authority of Ireland endorses the UK targets.[38]

Health Canada recommends an Adequate Intake (AI) and an Upper Limit (UL) in terms of sodium,[55] as does the Auckland District Health Board in New Zealand.[56]

The NHMRC in Australia was not able to define a recommended dietary intake (RDI). It defines an Adequate Intake (AI) for adults of 460–920 mg/day and an Upper Level of intake (UL) of 2300 mg/day.[57]

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration itself does not make a recommendation,[58] but refers readers to Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. These suggest that US citizens should consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium (= 2.3 g sodium = 5.8 g salt) per day.[59]

Meta-analysis in 2009 found that the sodium consumption of 19,151 individuals from 33 countries fit into the narrow range of 2,700 to 4,900 mg/day. The small range across many cultures, together with animal studies, suggest that sodium intake is tightly controlled by feedback loops in the body, making recommendations to reduce sodium consumption below 2,700 mg/day potentially futile.[60]
  • PamelaHoneyHuggy
    PamelaHoneyHuggy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Shane I think you got your answer! Great stuff people! Thanks from me. It helps me alot.