Girls who have the guts to lift

Options
For all of your strong women who lift with the guys – how did you get started? I read New Rules of Lifting for Women and loved it. I’ve gone to the gym every day this week thinking that this time I’ll work up the courage to go over and try weights but there’s always a few guys who look like they know what they’re doing and it’s so intimidating I’ve not done it! When I get home I kick myself for not at least starting.

Once I thought that if I went at 5:00 am I’d have the weight room to myself – not a chance :ohwell:

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Ask one of the guys who looks like they know what they are doing if he minds showing you the ropes a little.
    Never hurts to ask.
    They were new at one point too!
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I dont let the guys bother me. I do my own thing at my own pace and at my own level. I turn my music up and push myself (similar to the treadmill).

Start off with things you know you can handle and then you can always watch and learn how to modify/add new exercises to your routine.
  • sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it!! You can lift! And certainly don't assume that others at the gym know what they are doing!! Real lifters won't stare at you like you're weird. I learned by reading and then by trying and listening to my muscles. The most important thing is to really feel your muscles while you perform a certain exercise. You can also try picking up a copy of muscle and fitness or muscle and fitness hers. Male or female, the exercises are the same and the benefits are great. You may have to modify certain things based on what feels right to you- everyone is different.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Ipod and just give 'er! ... usually gyms will have trainers there, you could easily ask one of them to show you how to start! :)

Evevryone's gotta start somewhere right! :D
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I actually started with a personal trainer, just to make sure I was doing the moves correctly. Then I moved onto Body for Life and then New Rules.

Good luck!
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I am not into free weights. I am not coordinated and don't have the balance at this point.

I use the machines. It is really ok. Some gyms offer a free intro session with a personal trainer. My routine is a warm up/stretch then chest press, lat pull down, shoulder press, leg press, ab work and then treadmill. I do 2 sets of 12. I will likely up my sets or reps before I up my weights.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Guys don't tend to "laugh at" the women in the gym who are lifting. It's the other men who are lifting that they snicker at. They figure that you're going to do light weights. So pick up those 7 or 10 pounders and get a bunch of reps in. Just dive in! :smile:
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    I think it is only natural to be a bit intimidated but i lift and i do in front of the guys and actually one day one of them came up to me and asked if i could talk to their gf about lifting because she was afraid to bulk up and they respected that i was not afraid to do some strength training. they always help me when i need it. i don't lift heavy i only use the bar which weighs 45 pounds to do chest exercises so go to it you will lose weight more if you include strength training in your workout.
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I only use the machines rather than the dumbells, barbells, etc. The machines make it easier because you have a specific motion, whereas with the bars, you have to make sure you are keeping proper form and technique, which can be harder for someone just starting out.

There are a lot of different pictures, videos, etc that you can find on the internet, or ask a friend or family to help you out and show you. I've gone to a few different gyms with friends to show them how to use specific machines and stuff, so even if they aren't a member of your gym, you may be able to get them a visitor pass or something.

If you are really intimidated and can afford it, see if there is a female personal trainer who will work with you. Even if it's just a few times, she will be able to help you find the right weight you should be lifting and will help you with your form and technique. Also, it's another female that will be standing there with you to buffer some of the intimidation.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It is better to hit the free weight area in the morning hours. There are less people and the weights are put back where they belong. I've lifted for years and I still hate searching around for the dumbbells that I need in the late afternoon. So, I recommend morning hours. Just when they open on the weekends as well. Also, you can get a good workout lifting on the machines.

For the most part I have my Ipod earplugs in my ears. Just listen to some Linkin Park or Jay Z to help you with courage. LOL
  • kriegs86
    kriegs86 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Don't let those guys intimidate you!! Just go in there and act like you know *exactly* what you are doing. I've taken a few friends to the weight room to help get them started, find a friend or a PT that can help you if you do need help! Good luck... weight training is so important for women!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm reading New Rules for Lifting right now. I haven't read the women's version but if you have read it, you probably know more than 80% of the people lifting.

and honestly, when I did go to a gym I was too busy working on my own stuff to worry about anyone else. And if I did stop long enough to snicker at someone...it was because they were goofing off.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I haven't lifted free/machine weights for awhile, but I used to back when I lost weight and was at 220lbs.

The guys were never mean to me, and in fact were often supportive! If i was waiting for a machine they'd often ask me what weight I wanted it at and switch the weights for me, or let me in to do a few sets if they were doing several.

I was nervous at first too but it isn't a big deal. I think they will be more impressed that you are there lifting weights than anything.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a guy, I'm encouraged and impressed when I see women busting it hard on the weights...and you're off to a great start with NROL for Women. Just get in there, follow your routine and handle your business. If anything people will be impressed because with the knowledge you gained from NROL you'll look like you know (and indeed you will) exactly what you're doing.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I was intimidated a little at first, but after just jumping in and gettting on those free weights, I didn't care about anyone anymore. I did NROL4W first 2 stages a while ago and then slacked off. I just started back up yesterday!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Remeber the old addage "the only dumb question is the one thats not asked" but ask just before the guy "who looks like he knows what he's doing " before he starts or after he seems like he's done (you don't want to mess up a routien). I alway's like to help and anyone i've ever worked out with likes to help. It's kind of an ego boost to be asked and to give help.
  • tatey2009
    Options
    i do weights both hand held and the bar. i dont use machines as practicing technique is all part of it and works your core muscles like mad too. i have never been a lover of machines as you dont need to stabalise your core as much

best thing to do is start small. i started on 6kg weights then as soon as i could get through 3 sets of 24 reps without feeling the need to stop or lose technique i moved up a kilo

once i hit the 9 kg mark i started on the bar

for technique get either a fitness instructor at the gym to show you or one of the big men in the gym.

also check out mytrainerbob.com, it is bob from the biggest loser shows and he regularly puts on instructional videos showing techniques
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    i do weights both hand held and the bar. i dont use machines as practicing technique is all part of it and works your core muscles like mad too. i have never been a lover of machines as you dont need to stabalise your core as much

When safety allows it, I do a lot of lifting on an excersise ball.
  • tatey2009
    Options
    i love love love exercises ont he ball, again great for core stability.

i did pilates ont he ball for the 1st time at the weekend and it felt wonderful - i was shaking a lot but that just shows that it was working!