Getting too hot during cardio, making it hard to complete

Options
Hey guys, maybe you can help me out here. I am getting so hot and sweaty during cardio that it feels almost impossible to complete my workout. I get to the point where I am dripping sweat and I have heated the handle bars so much that it is uncomfortable to hold on to. I am drinking during my workouts, but I am not sure how else to cool off. I workout at a gym, so if I get off the machine to run to the restroom to wash my face with cold water, I have to grab all my stuff, clean the machine, and then hope and pray it is still available when I come back out. So does anyone have any strategies for me? Or is this an unavoidable fact of cardio?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Bring a small spray bottle and mist yourself during the workout?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The solution is to wear an awesome headband.

http://youtu.be/vWz9VN40nCA
  • NeverTooLateForChange
    NeverTooLateForChange Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Enduracool towels, bandanas and buffs by Mission. They totally work. I use them almost every day in this weather.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    At least you know you're working hard - sweat is good for you!!!! Seriously!!!!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sweating is good! I sweat buckets! Stay hydrated. Dont be embarrassed, but appreciate it. Be proud of your sweat!
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i bring a small desk fan =)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym, and I have a fan right there by my elliptical/bike. I feel the need to turn it on about 10 minutes into every workout and I know I'd have trouble finishing without that blowing in my face. Not sure if there might be a battery powered fan that would be portable?
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Bring a towel, a small portable fan, and lots of water. Don't feel uncomfortable the reason you're there is to sweat. I have more admiration for the people who are there sweating their a**es off then the ones going 1mph on the treadmill texting. Just sayin' :)
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Ha ha, I started wearing one in Zumba, said I didn't care what I looked like, I was bringing the sweatband back! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

He ain't even lyin!!! LOL! But seriously...I sweat a lot too. I don't go to the gym anymore but when I did I always made sure to take a towel with me. And I always wear my blue & white reversible Nike sweatband when I'm working out at home...it's a MUST for me:)
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bring a towel to mop up the sweat and keep going!! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water to replace what you are losing through the sweating, but you are supposed to turn up the body heat during cardio!!
  • alexyashko
    alexyashko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll try the sweatband and the portable fan ideas!
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My dad has a cold towel someone got him for his birthday. The man sweats like a pig and he swears by it. Not sure where it was purchased, but maybe look into something like that.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I sweat an insane amount. Usually if I'm just wearing a T shirt, I looks like I stood in the rain. The solution to this is simply working out in a sweatshirt or hoodie. Since you're already sweating at a maximal level, adding another layer is not going to make you sweat any more. At least you'll be soaking it up and not getting it all over the equipment?