I am confused

Options
So I started a serious diet 3 weeks ago, I am currently at 220 pounds and have a body fat of 28.5%. I am 6'2 and go to the gym 4 times a week for about an hour and hour and a half. I have my personal trainer who created my diet plan, where I was trying to build muscle ( I am not really worried about losing weight because I look fine). I am drinking amino acids during workout and protein after workouts. 2 week mark came and I had lost 9.5 pounds, but 2 of them were muscle. I didn't really mind because I looked a lot better, but I did not want to lose any more muscle. A week has passed since my last meeting with my trainer and I already lost 4.5 pounds. I don't think I should be losing this much weight and I am scared I will lose muscle mass again. Any comments or recommendations on what I should do? I am eating everything the diet plan is telling me to eat, so I should be fine in the protein section.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So I started a serious diet 3 weeks ago, I am currently at 220 pounds and have a body fat of 28.5%. I am 6'2 and go to the gym 4 times a week for about an hour and hour and a half. I have my personal trainer who created my diet plan, where I was trying to build muscle ( I am not really worried about losing weight because I look fine). I am drinking amino acids during workout and protein after workouts. 2 week mark came and I had lost 9.5 pounds, but 2 of them were muscle. I didn't really mind because I looked a lot better, but I did not want to lose any more muscle. A week has passed since my last meeting with my trainer and I already lost 4.5 pounds. I don't think I should be losing this much weight and I am scared I will lose muscle mass again. Any comments or recommendations on what I should do? I am eating everything the diet plan is telling me to eat, so I should be fine in the protein section.

This does not add up. If you're trying to build muscle, you should be eating at a caloric surplus. If you're losing weight that means that you're in a caloric deficit.

What is this diet your trainer put you on? What is your calorie goal?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Sounds like you've got a PT who doesn't know anything about nutrition.
  • njae004
    njae004 Posts: 2
    Options
    She told me I should be eating around 3500 calories a day, but I seriously doubt I am eating that a day. It doesnt make any sense that I am losing so much weight and building muscle at the same time when I have to do opposite things to achieve both. Should I just eat more proteins? I do look a lot better, but I do not want to lose muscle mass.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    She told me I should be eating around 3500 calories a day, but I seriously doubt I am eating that a day. It doesnt make any sense that I am losing so much weight and building muscle at the same time when I have to do opposite things to achieve both. Should I just eat more proteins? I do look a lot better, but I do not want to lose muscle mass.

Are you not actually logging your calories?
  • JillianLH
    JillianLH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you doubt your eating 3500 calories a day? Are you not logging? Youd be surprised how fast it adds up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

1) If you aren't logging cals, how do you know how much you are actually eating?
    2) You aren't losing that much weight and building any meaningful muscle - the body doesn't do both simultaneously, especially not at that rate.
    3) You look better because you are losing weight, a lot of it fat. It's impossible to not lose SOME muscle/lean mass, but by lifting (which you're doing) and getting enough protein (not sure on this one) you can limit the amount of lean mass that is lost.