Saggy skin - How to avoid?

dclamb3
dclamb3 Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Success Stories
How many pounds per week can you lose and not have saggy skin later?

I know doctor's rule is not to lose more than 2lbs. per week to remain healthy, but a friend lost 2 lbs per week and has a lot of saggy skin now. So, if 2 lbs per week = saggy skin, how about 1.5 lbs per week (or even 1)?

Replies

• kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    I think it depends on how big you start out and end.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Yes, and also how old you are. I lost a lot of weight once when I was young and didn't have saggy skin. Now I'm 58 and already I see some sag on my neck.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Age, skin type, amount of times you have lost/gained weight are all factors in how saggy your skin is going to be after you loose a significant amount of weight. The best thing that you can do to minimize this is to exercise - it won't eliminate it but you will have less saggy skin if you have a good exercise regime that includes strength training than if you don't.
  • I was under the impression that you will have some depending on how much you have lost, but that the skin will shrink somewhat. Best to take it slow as to not put your body under to much stress. Let your body adjust to the weight change as it needs to. I'm 50 and have lost 20 lbs in the last 8 weeks and have no issue with it.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    PP is right, it depends on the total amount lost, also how long you've been overweight, if you are exercising and lifting weights, your hydration level, etc etc etc.

To avoid I would drink your 8+ glasses of water a day, do resistance training, make sure your skin is hydrated (lotion), and also make sure your loss is slow and steady. Saggy skin is often an effect of people who do gastric bypass or lap band, where they lose tons of weight in a very short period of time without exercise.

That being said, if you have been 100+ pounds overweight for a long period of time (probably over 5 years) you are going to have some saggy skin, because our skin is only so elastic. But also look at the biggest loser people, they lose it be working out, and hardly any of them have those issues.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Saggy skin is often an effect of people who do gastric bypass or lap band, where they lose tons of weight in a very short period of time without exercise.

Oh man I didnt know having the lapband let people just lose weight quickly without working out. Mine must be broken.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Weight loss surgery of any kind is vastly more effective if you exercise. People who go into WLS thinking that they won't have to exercise and/or that it is an easy fix are sadly mistaken.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Exercising helps. Losing weight slowly helps. Drinking at least 8 cups of water helps. You should also make sure you have balanced nutrition, especially Vitamins C and E. Enough essential oils, and Omega 3's. Try to minimize skin damage from sun exposure, and smoke (first hand or second hand).

Some of my friends who have lost a lot of weight have used T-Tapp's CRT skin brushing system. It's like this brush with hard bristles that you brush your body with once daily. I don't really know how much of a difference this made cause they were doing pretty serious exercise too but here is the url https://store.t-tapp.com/products/CRT-Skin-Tightening-Body-Brush.html
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Replying to this cause I am one of the few that will tell it like it is.
    I did not have weight loss surgery, I do not smoke , nor am I ever around it, I drink a ton of water, I have worked out with weights from day one of my weight loss, I have lost it slowly, and I have a ton of loose skin. There was nothing else I could have done that would have stopped that.
    I was 38 when I started this, and had been overweight for 20 years, I had a lot of weight to lose, and had had 4 babies that had already done some major damage to my tummy skin. But the loose skin is all over, everywhere. But would I have not lost the weight if I knew prior to this that it would be that way? Heck no! Loose skin is better than fat filled skin!
    So do the right things, but don't be bummed if you have some lose skin, just be happy the weight is gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!