running shoes?

Options
Ive got a pair of nike air max 2011 that are pretty much dead. Can anyone recommend something thats soft on the landing? Im a bigger guy so would need something with good support as well. Ive looked into the new balance 3090 V2, Mizuno prophecy's or another paif air max's. Has anyone tried any of these that can give some insight?

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Id go to a running store or a chain like REI to get your gait checked.... you have to determine of you are an overpronator or under pronator or if you can just use a nuetral shoe....Since you declared you need support, I doubt if nuetral would work for you....
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I never really liked New Balance, I know people that love Mizuno but Im a bigger girl and I find that Brooks are the best for me. If you have a specialty running store near you try going there if you arent sure what kind of shoe you need.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Google Fleet Feet...we have one here in Syracuse. They will properly fit you to a running shoe that will be beneficial. What works for me, may not work for you. I wear Brooks Adrenaline...I love them!!! Nikes, they kill my shins. :smile:
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    defo get to a running store hun, what works for some may not work for you and the luvly folk at the store will find you the perfect pair:smile:
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the gate check at the running store. I've a neutral gate so I run in the Nike Pegasus 29, which are like strapping wonderfully cushy marshmallows or clouds onto your feet. Some people hate that and want to feel the pavement. I'm not one of them.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I dont really have an "running specific" stores near me. Theres the mall with foot locker and we have a New Balance outlet and Nike outlet store here. What are some stores that everyone goes to? I wouldnt mind a little road trip, could make fore a fun weekend!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Fleet Feet and Runaway Shoes are two fairly decent running stores and have stores all over. Try googling one to see if there's one in your area.

I started out wearing Saucony. LOVED them. When I went to replace them I was reanalyzed and fitted with Nikes. Hated them. Took them back and tried Muzinos. Really liked them but they killed my calves. So now I'm back to Sauconys. This time I have the Guide 6 model. They fit me great and I love them still!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and got fitted for a pair.

I have brooks pure cadence and I love them. only a 4mm drop and it has some arc support that is nice to have.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I dont really have an "running specific" stores near me. Theres the mall with foot locker and we have a New Balance outlet and Nike outlet store here. What are some stores that everyone goes to? I wouldnt mind a little road trip, could make fore a fun weekend!

Where's "near you"?
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you really need to get properly fitted. Every shoe company makes shoes for every gait. You need to find the type of shoe you need first - neutral, stability, etc. Then you need to find the one that fits your particular foot the best, within that type. You will save yourself a world of hurt if you get fitted.

If you absolutely cannot get to a running store, go on-line and try to find a basic guide to figuring out your running style. Then you can go to a sporting goods store and find the type of shoe you need. Once you know what you like, you can order them on-line.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting fitted also. But as a side note, I love the Nike Free Runs. I have had 2 pairs and they are pretty comfy while running.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you really need to get properly fitted. Every shoe company makes shoes for every gait. You need to find the type of shoe you need first - neutral, stability, etc. Then you need to find the one that fits your particular foot the best, within that type. You will save yourself a world of hurt if you get fitted.

If you absolutely cannot get to a running store, go on-line and try to find a basic guide to figuring out your running style. Then you can go to a sporting goods store and find the type of shoe you need. Once you know what you like, you can order them on-line.

^^This. Definitely figure out what gait you have first. You can even read the wear marks on the bottom of your current shoes to get some idea. After that, try several brands/models made for your gait and go with the one that feels the best.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Big girl who loves her Brooks here. I also live in the boonies, so I googled "running store+area" to find the closest one. Highly recommend finding a running store to be properly fitted. I also tried out Saucony and Asics, but the salesperson ruled out one after watching me walk and i ruled out the other after joggin on their treadmill. I hated the (very expensive) New Balance running shoes that I was using before
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can go the other way and start transitioning to minimalist footwear. This is not for everyone.

I also am a larger, 6'2" max weight of 260, (203 presently) I switched to minimalist running footwear and changed my stride after my coworker recommended it because of my complaints of pain while running.

Best decision of my fitness life. Saucony Kinvara is a great place to start, still cushioned but with only a 4 mm drop and minimal (if any) arch support. I now run in other shoes and Vibram Five Finger Bikilias

I can run for miles now with only muscle soreness, no joint pain.

But again, not for everyone.
  • mattdsoares
    Options
    The Nike Air Pegasus offer a good balance of paddings and support, so you might want to give them a try. They're best for a mid overpronator. Also the ASICS Gel Kayano 19. They are best for mild overpronators but are very, very padded which is great for bigger runners. I run in these and am currently 285lbs and I find them rather comfy.