My story such as it is

Options
Hello:

My name is Charlie and I have been at MFP for like 10 months. I was one of those people that NEVER had to worry about weight. I was always told that..... "It will catch up to you when you are 20, when you are 25, when you are 30 etc.... I had played cardio type sports in my youth (basketball, baseball, etc) and could run what I ate right off. Weights? nah ,wasn't interested.. ,, didn't want muscles or had a bad attitude toward them.. This was partly from fear of embarrassment .. I was pathetically weak in the upper body especially.. and didn't want to humiliate myself. I had a joke about weights if anybody ever asked.......... "if you pick the weight up and put it down.. why didn't you just leave it there in the first place" :)

I grew up and stopped being as active and got more sedentary.. and finally the weight crept up.. I never was a very confident sort. socially.. and this started adding to it.. The real world and its obligations took away my "accidental and fun" cardio and I got heavier and even more sullen and introverted. I had no confidence at all with the opposite gender. It was just brushed off in my mind as a sign of the ravages of age and something I could do little about

In July of last yr a friend was visiting from down south, we got talking about getting old.. I had, for some diversion , gone out and tried to shoot basketball the week before and had NO endurance whatsoever.. it embarrassed me but I kept it to myself. During this talk with my friend, we talked about weight... I hadn't gotten on the scale in forever and when I did at home it shook me..
210 lbs......... now I am 5 ft 9 so this is not horrific but I took an honest look at my belly and was appalled.. I had been in the 150-160s for for ever.. where did this 50lbs or so come from

Through roundabout means which are of little import, I came to MFP... Remember ,, exercise to me was cardio.. so that's what I tried.. I tried 1-2 times to run and that was embarrassing and impossible.. remembering what I could do and Now couldn't. For a while all I could manage was walking for like 20 min and watching what I ate a bit...I took a chance and made some friends here in the early days and they encouraged even that little bit of movement.. and I was taking baby steps. I didn't take pics in the beginning but this is Late August....... I think I was about 10lbs down here.. maybe 200 lbs

[img]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b542/udproud5/august29_zps87281b31.jpg[/img/] I was losing weight and that was a good thing, but not many people were noticing and I didn't feel much different. People on here kept mentioning strength training but my ego prevented me....and how could I do it on my own...?? Well, I finally went out and purchased New Rules of Lifting for Women.. yes women.. I was told it was a real good beginners guide and I had nowhere to start from so I wanted Lifting for total newbies.. Short story is.. when I ventured into the weight room. I was blessed to find my apt complex has a trainer.. .. I took the risk and signed up for sessions with her.. that was about November 1st , I think? As I said I haven't been good about taking progress pics.. so I will jump ahead.. Lifting hasn't been easy..I am learning new stuff all the time.. I still feel like a total fool 90% of the time when I try a new lift or move.. There are some things I still cant get.. I am still very weak in the upper body.. but my confidence is growing.. Here are my latest progress pics[/img]nexttry_zps8337a911.jpg

What I really want to note is ......................I still love my running and now I can do it much much better.. running 5ks in under 30 min regularly and hoping for a 10k.. BUT the lifting is what really got people to notice once the recomposition of my body kicked in

From the first pic to the Jan 1st pic above there is like 15lbs of loss.................. From the two pics in the side by side above (Jan 1st to the other day there is only about a 9lb loss!!!!.. but it is in the last two months or so ..where people are starting to notice and I think that is in large part due to my lifting

will I get a 6pack I don't know.. will I ever get muscular biceps.. who knows... but the thing is .... don't be afraid of trying lifting.. if I can do it ANYBODY can

I don't know what the future holds.. but I am happily surprised with what ive done

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hello:

My name is Charlie and I have been at MFP for like 10 months. I was one of those people that NEVER had to worry about weight. I was always told that..... "It will catch up to you when you are 20, when you are 25, when you are 30 etc.... I had played cardio type sports in my youth (basketball, baseball, etc) and could run what I ate right off. Weights? nah ,wasn't interested.. ,, didn't want muscles or had a bad attitude toward them.. This was partly from fear of embarrassment .. I was pathetically weak in the upper body especially.. and didn't want to humiliate myself. I had a joke about weights if anybody ever asked.......... "if you pick the weight up and put it down.. why didn't you just leave it there in the first place" :)

I grew up and stopped being as active and got more sedentary.. and finally the weight crept up.. I never was a very confident sort. socially.. and this started adding to it.. The real world and its obligations took away my "accidental and fun" cardio and I got heavier and even more sullen and introverted. I had no confidence at all with the opposite gender. It was just brushed off in my mind as a sign of the ravages of age and something I could do little about

In July of last yr a friend was visiting from down south, we got talking about getting old.. I had, for some diversion , gone out and tried to shoot basketball the week before and had NO endurance whatsoever.. it embarrassed me but I kept it to myself. During this talk with my friend, we talked about weight... I hadn't gotten on the scale in forever and when I did at home it shook me..
    210 lbs......... now I am 5 ft 9 so this is not horrific but I took an honest look at my belly and was appalled.. I had been in the 150-160s for for ever.. where did this 50lbs or so come from

Through roundabout means which are of little import, I came to MFP... Remember ,, exercise to me was cardio.. so that's what I tried.. I tried 1-2 times to run and that was embarrassing and impossible.. remembering what I could do and Now couldn't. For a while all I could manage was walking for like 20 min and watching what I ate a bit...I took a chance and made some friends here in the early days and they encouraged even that little bit of movement.. and I was taking baby steps. I didn't take pics in the beginning but this is Late August....... I think I was about 10lbs down here.. maybe 200 lbs

august29_zps87281b31.jpg

I was losing weight and that was a good thing, but not many people were noticing and I didn't feel much different. People on here kept mentioning strength training but my ego prevented me....and how could I do it on my own...?? Well, I finally went out and purchased New Rules of Lifting for Women.. yes women.. I was told it was a real good beginners guide and I had nowhere to start from so I wanted Lifting for total newbies.. Short story is.. when I ventured into the weight room. I was blessed to find my apt complex has a trainer.. .. I took the risk and signed up for sessions with her.. that was about November 1st , I think?

As I said I haven't been good about taking progress pics.. so I will jump ahead.. Lifting hasn't been easy..I am learning new stuff all the time.. I still feel like a total fool 90% of the time when I try a new lift or move.. There are some things I still cant get.. I am still very weak in the upper body.. but my confidence is growing.. Here are my latest progress pics

nexttry_zps8337a911.jpg

What I really want to note is ......................I still love my running and now I can do it much much better.. running 5ks in under 30 min regularly and hoping for a 10k.. BUT the lifting is what really got people to notice once the recomposition of my body kicked in

From the first pic to the Jan 1st pic above there is like 15lbs of loss.................. From the two pics in the side by side above (Jan 1st to the other day there is only about a 9lb loss!!!!.. but it is in the last two months or so ..where people are starting to notice and I think that is in large part due to my lifting

will I get a 6pack I don't know.. will I ever get muscular biceps.. who knows... but the thing is .... don't be afraid of trying lifting.. if I can do it ANYBODY can

I don't know what the future holds.. but I am happily surprised with what ive done
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You look great, Charlie! Happy for you, friend. :flowerforyou: Excited to see what's in store for you!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    You go dude!

It is hard - and I too had that "ah-ha" moment when I was being fitted for a bridesmaid dress... and was appalled at how big the dress size was. That's when I knew I had to do something (the first time around, this is now my second time on here).

You should be proud of what you've accomplished, I think you look great! Keep it up!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Charlie youre the best. good job!!! you really have succeeded on so many levels!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Congrats!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    You look great and I know you feel great! Congrats on your success so far and for not being afraid to try new things and push your limits.

:happy:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You look great! :)
  • LouisianaHott
    Options
    Congrats on all your success. I am so proud of all the hard work and dedication you put forth. You are amazing Charlie ♥
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Charlie, you are one of the most earnest, honest and best people I have on my FL. It has been a wonder and a joy to watch you as you've done all of this.

Keep at it, I'm excited to see what is in your future.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ive gotten more compliments the last two months when the rate of loss has been way smaller. That was the main point I was trying to get across. The only thing I can credit it to is the lifting

I still want to run and see its benefits but know a balanced approach is what is needed for me at least

I like the increased energy and the fact I have gone from looking in the mirror and thinking ugh to thinking "ok , I guess"

maybe more confidence is coming.. but without trying new things and things that weren't in my comfort zone.. I wouldn't have gotten this far.. heck id be even heavier most lilkely
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Charlie you are awesome! Great dedication and work!!!!
  • chocolateweights
    Options
    Charlie, you are so f*cking awewome!!! I love these progress pics. You are such an inspiration to me and so many others. I love your dedication and hard work. The fact that you will do what it takes like NROLFW. You are proof that lifting makes all the difference. Such good work Babe!! MUAH!!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I love that you're my friend Charlie! I love how upbeat and inspriational you are!! Thanks for being such an awesome YOU!
  • MrsJ1105
    MrsJ1105 Posts: 34
    Options
    Congrats Charlie, youre awesome!
  • Get120
    Get120 Posts: 56
    Options
    great job Charlie!!!!! =D
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    my excuse always was my age..

many of you know it.. anybody else care to guess
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    excellent job, I just bought that book and about to read it this weekend.
    I know I use to run wayyy back in highschool and loved it, but good lord to think of running now haha not yet.
    I am so happy for you and for how good I know it must feel to look better and to feel better being able to be more active again.
    Good for you!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Congrats on your success!!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Your story is great! So proud of your for trying new things! I know I feel the same way when I try something new - absolutely sure that everyone is staring at me and thinking what an idiot I am. But they are not. So, I just enjoy it!
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Love your SUCCESS story Charlie! It's been great to see you transforming, I know how hard you've worked at it! You have a lot more in store, I'm certain of that! :happy: Enjoy every minute of it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!