I eat carbs.. A lot

Options
KFC506
KFC506 Posts: 3 Member
Hello Fitness Pals,
Hope all are having a great Friday. Decided to start because I now have to shop for a new wardrobe. Zippers don't come even close to zipping and jeans stop at my hips. Not good. I'm not crazy about food, just find myself picking a lot on whatever's around. A couple years ago, I was in great shape, worked out often and watched what i ate. Since then, I've gained close to 20lbs. Its all gone down hill since about a year ago. We started having late dinners because of my husbands work schedule and I stopped working out. At work, moving is to a bare minimum, mostly sitting.

Occasionally ill go for a brisk walk on my lunch break and during the evenings a little bike ride a bit with my kids.

My plan is to start gaining control today. Started my food diary, walked my lunch break and look forward to logging it all on here.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all!

Replies

• DrMonhattan
    Options
    Carbs are good for you, meal timing is a myth. You could literally eat your entire days worth of calories before bed and it wouldn't matter. It's what you eat, how much and calories in versus out, that's it.
  • dirtieebirdiee
    dirtieebirdiee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!! (:

The people on here are awesome! Such a great support system :o:smile:

I love carbs too D: but it's so great that you can put the energy to good use with a good workout! ;)

Good luck with your goals! YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of carbs. yummy yummy carbs. I eat protein and fat too.

I lift, and run and feel great. Just don't go extreme on anything and you should be fine. IIFIYM
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sound like you already know what to do, in a sense. You did it before, and you can definitely do it again. I agree...carbs are not bad. moderate them. choose nutritious ones....fruit, whole grain breads and pastas. Measure food, drink lots of water, and get your exercise.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Carbs = energy

I'm a night-time person. I eat all my calories, carbs, fats, protein mostly during the night and still lose weight. Time doesn't matter, I'm sure your metabolism can't tell time. Just try to keep your deficit and you will lose weight.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good for you, meal timing is a myth. You could literally eat your entire days worth of calories before bed and it wouldn't matter. It's what you eat, how much and calories in versus out, that's it.

Yep. This is true. There will be differing opinions, but IIFYM (if it fits your macros), and youre not eating above TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) then you're golden.

The popular recommendation is to find out your BMR (base metobolic rate, there are calculators online), and your TDEE, and subtract 10-20% from your TDEE. Depending on how overweight you are. Make sure to eat below TDEE and above BMR, and you're good to go.

Good luck!
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love carbs but don't eat many. I fill up mostly on protein. Keeps me full much longer than carbs ever did. But that is what works for my body and my flat tummy!
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am a carb junkie. During and after pregnancy, I became EXTREMELY picky with meat and now only eat 1 brand and type of chicken. Therefore, I turned to carbs and fast food. Had no idea how much calories, sodium, and carbs I consumed until here. It has been such an eye opened. Couple of things - - Sometimes with MFP, especially if you're set at sedentary (I am too since I sit 8-5 at my desk all day), it puts you at very low calories. They had me at 1301 when I began. Some people are fine with very low calorie. Some people really struggle. There is also an approach (TDEE-20%) that has you consume 20% less calories than what you burn doing nothing. You can adjust this program to do whatever you want. Whatever you choose, know that there are so many approaches. It's whatever works best for you. Feel free to ask questions! Congrats to being off to a good start.
  • KFC506
    KFC506 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks to all for taking time in providing input and motivation!! I was so wrong about timing and carbs after all.

Take care and thanks again!:happy: