Effect of sugar and saturated fats on weight loss

Options
I am just wondering the effect of sugar, saturated fat and fat in general on weight loss and maintenance.. Everything is said to be based on calories consumed and calories burnt.. Burn more then you consume you lose weight right?

That being said.. How does going over macros such as these effect weight if still under or on level with recommended calorie consumption.. Will you put on? Will you continue to lose/maintain? Will your body look flabby even if you lose weoght etc..

I am not taking about every day just once in a while .. I ask because I have had a few bad days visiting family and although today for example I have managed to remain under calorie recommendations I am at risk of going over sat fat and have gone over sugar. Family lunch out lol

Replies

• lucycassingena
    Options
    Anyone
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Bump
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Nobody knows:-(
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If it's once in a while then just enjoy your family. It's not worth worrying about.
  • Taylorferguson1
    Options
    They can really stump your weight loss or help it depends here is why

Lets use sugar first, sugar raises levels of something in your body (I can't remember the name) and causes it to turn a lot of things into fat and not good fat. Though your body does need sugar and actually if you don't get enough sugar it causes bloating because your body tries to create it's own sugar and it causes you to bloat. I don't mean go eat a lump of sugar or go eat a packet of cookies to get your sugar up (I'm sure you know that!) what I mean is eat fruit it's yummy, high in NATURAL sugar and has great vitamins, it's also all round nutritional for your body.

Saturated fat found in processed foods is nasty. It's fats your body can't digest properly so they are the ones that literally stick to your body and create that fatty look, you want to stay clear of them as much as you can by simply eating clean whole foods and learning how to cook! There is so much you can do in the kitchen with whole ingredients. Also eat good fats take a few minutes out of your day to google good fats you will be surprised! :) and eat plenty of them because to lose fat quicker you must consume fat.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Lets use sugar first, sugar raises levels of something in your body (I can't remember the name) and causes it to turn a lot of things into fat and not good fat. Though your body does need sugar and actually if you don't get enough sugar it causes bloating because your body tries to create it's own sugar and it causes you to bloat. I don't mean go eat a lump of sugar or go eat a packet of cookies to get your sugar up (I'm sure you know that!) what I mean is eat fruit it's yummy, high in NATURAL sugar and has great vitamins, it's also all round nutritional for your body.

Saturated fat found in processed foods is nasty. It's fats your body can't digest properly so they are the ones that literally stick to your body and create that fatty look, you want to stay clear of them as much as you can by simply eating clean whole foods and learning how to cook! There is so much you can do in the kitchen with whole ingredients. Also eat good fats take a few minutes out of your day to google good fats you will be surprised! :) and eat plenty of them because to lose fat quicker you must consume fat.

^ wow. so far off.....

OP, your answer is no.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much sugar and saturated fat as I can while staying within my calorie and macro goals. They are both delicious.

That was a serious answer.

Because I'm sure you want something more elaborate, I'll add that fat loss is about calorie deficit and maintenance of lean body mass. Eat enough protein (at least 1 g per lb of lean body mass) and healthy fat (roughly a third of your body weight, in grams), and fill the rest of your calories with whatever you want. For me, it's typically chocolate, peanut butter, and, my new best friend, gelato. But it can be anything you want, as long as your protein and healthy fats are in check and you're doing enough strength training to hang on to whatever muscle you currently have.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This is all nonsense. I think literally none of it is true.

As for the OP: no effect on weight loss. It's calories. You want fat to make you feel full and regulate hormone levels, and you want protein to help you maintain muscle mass. Sugar plays no part other than being a good source of calories.
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Contrasting opinions here but all usefull thank you x
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Contrasting opinions here but all usefull thank you x

Some of the opinions are based in reality.

Others are based on nonsense and nutrient-fear.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Not sure if there's anything in the above post that isn't a myth.

tumblr_inline_mfjx7fNiHp1ro2d43.gif
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here are some images for OP.

sugar.png

satfat.png

Comp.png
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

sugar.png

satfat.png

Comp.png

tumblr_inline_mksfmclvww1qz4rgp.gif
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Oh right okay lol well either way thanks for the replies its put my mind at ease.. I try not to consume too much sugar or bad fats but as its been a bad week I have been quite concearned and feel flabby esp as ive recently started to maintain.. think I need to focus on core work outs now instead then
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight if you are hitting calories and remaining active.

BUT

going over on saturated fat consistently is not good for heart health, according to Dean Ornish.

He also states that high fat food is usually calorie dense. By eating foods that are high in fat you will get more calories for less volume, and that could potentially leave you feeling hungrier compared to a higher volume diet of the same caloric value. Be aware that he's considered the guru of the low fat eating among the diet wars.

In my experience sugar spikes can lead to overeating. A lot of sugary foods are empty calories from overly processed junk. Sugar is a cheap, readily available filler. Conversely sugar is in fruit and fruit is fantastic for you. I would consume simple sugars with a protein source to slow down digestion and minimize the spike. Of course I just had a bag of cookies so who am I to talk. lol.
  • lucycassingena
    Options

sugar.png

satfat.png

Comp.png
    Oo lovely thanks
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, let's assume:
    1) you are eating within your total calorie goal
    2) fat and sugar intake are not preventing you from hitting a reasonable protein goal

That said, fat and sugar intake only account for about 1% of how/why people lose weight. That 1% is fairly important for people who are already exceptionally lean, but not at all important for the vast majority of people.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh right okay lol well either way thanks for the replies its put my mind at ease.. I try not to consume too much sugar or bad fats but as its been a bad week I have been quite concearned and feel flabby esp as ive recently started to maintain.. think I need to focus on core work outs now instead then

FYI... "bad" fat is really only trans fat, and even that won't have any real impact on most people when consumed in reasonable quantities.

Poly, mono, and sat fats are all good provided they don't prevent you from staying within your calorie goal and hitting your protein target.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have to say that when I eat ice cream heavily, as I do lately, the sugar affects me the way that booze might, probably since my parents and family members were alcoholics and I seem to metabolize sugar similarly to the way some people do alcohol. The calories are under the recommended calories, and I try to get decent (vegetarian)protein, eat healthier snack things like raw organic flax seeds and some raw organic carrots (I know, they have natural sugars too), and I never actually drink alcohol or soda or any of that, but the sugar wrecks me and depresses me and makes me really really messed up: poor appetite, lethargy, etc. I even take decent nutritional supplements, but this recent time period where I have gone back to eating serious ice cream several days a week is making me feel and look crappy. It could be that the intestinal flora get imbalanced, even though I take probiotics and all. *shrug* It's like me being a teenager again with no clue about nutrition, and I'm about over this experiment, but don't let people completely fool you with rigid "calories in calories out" or comparable reductionism here--things are more complex than that, or else there might be one prescribed diet for every body on earth, with only the amount and calories varying, you know?
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    I have to say that when I eat ice cream heavily, as I do lately, the sugar affects me the way that booze might, probably since my parents and family members were alcoholics and I seem to metabolize sugar similarly to the way some people do alcohol. The calories are under the recommended calories, and I try to get decent (vegetarian)protein, eat healthier snack things like raw organic flax seeds and some raw organic carrots (I know, they have natural sugars too), and I never actually drink alcohol or soda or any of that, but the sugar wrecks me and depresses me and makes me really really messed up: poor appetite, lethargy, etc. I even take decent nutritional supplements, but this recent time period where I have gone back to eating serious ice cream several days a week is making me feel and look crappy. It could be that the intestinal flora get imbalanced, even though I take probiotics and all. *shrug* It's like me being a teenager again with no clue about nutrition, and I'm about over this experiment, but don't let people completely fool you with rigid "calories in calories out" or comparable reductionism here--things are more complex than that, or else there might be one prescribed diet for every body on earth, with only the amount and calories varying, you know?

I know how you feel. I only drink water but as a treat at a pub ill have a slimline tonic lol
    I am usually so dedicated and have good will power but recently when visiting family my bf mum spoke to me saying I had lost too much weight.. you know what in laws are like lol and I took it as an excuse to just holiday for a few days at theres 0. I ate cheesecake, trifle, cookies and chocolate eclairs.. yes more then one.. ah god I felt so ill like I had flu.. I was as bloated as ever and looked pregnant.. was super drained and achy all over
    I am so disappointed as I am usually so diciplined with myself.. even now I am trying to maintain and not lose I stick with water and try to be healthy so its been playing on my mind ever since ahhh well