Recently got a Fitbit One.....

Options
Serah87
Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
Do I need to record my exercises in my exercise diary??

Exercises that I do are walking and circuit training/lifting. Thanks in advance. :happy:

Replies

• Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't log my walking/steps. I let the sync with MFP and Fitbit do it automatically.
  • Serah87
    Options
    I don't log my walking/steps. I let the sync with MFP and Fitbit do it automatically.

So should log the circuit training/lifting?? Thanks.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    just let it do it's thing. if you have a strength training day, you can estimate to go over your calorie goal by 100-200 calories just for good measure because it can't estimate calories burned from doing those exercises.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    I log my strength training manually on Fitbit's site, actually. Fitbit then adjusts my TDEE accordingly, which gets sync'd automatically to MFP. I do it this way so that when I hit the button on my Fitbit, the embedded interface gives me the most accurate number of calories burned number up until that point in the day.
  • Serah87
    Options
    Bump.
  • JennieCakes72
    JennieCakes72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training manually on Fitbit's site, actually. Fitbit then adjusts my TDEE accordingly, which gets sync'd automatically to MFP. I do it this way so that when I hit the button on my Fitbit, the embedded interface gives me the most accurate number of calories burned number up until that point in the day.

I do this also!
  • Minidom109
    Minidom109 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also a fitbit newby, and want to get most accurate record of how many calories I am burning. I record my exercise class (eg zumba or kettlebell) on MFP but I am worried the calories burned are being counted twice.

Should I remove the fitbit before exercise class?
    Or is the sync intelligent enough to know which steps are from the class since I record the time?

Any help on understanding exactly how the syncing works etc is much appreciated.
    Mini
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    As long as you've got the correct time entered into both FB and MFP, you won't end up double-counting anything.

What I do is if I'm going to do Zumba for a bit, I'll put my FB in timer mode. Then later when I sync everything up, I'll look on my FB profile to see what the start time of the activity was and then I'll log it in MFP and it will sync over to FB without double counting.

Then again, it would probably just be easier to manually log the exercise via FB, but if you're trying to only use one app, you'll have to do a little maneuvering :)
  • Kellyerin1217
    Options
    I have a Fitbit one as well (love it!)

If I do cardio/strength training or activities that I am expending more energy (i.e. using my arms) I will enter that in as exercise in MFP. It then seamlessly tracks with the Fitbit.

For example, I use my treadmill a lot for cardio, but I play around with my incline. My norm incline is 3.0, but today I bumped it all the way up to 10.0 incline. While I am, theoretically, “walking” and Fitbit will track my steps, I am working harder because I have my treadmill set as an incline.

This is the same with my strength-training sessions. When I do strength training, I am not walking (so Fitbit doesn’t pick up on my steps), but I am expending energy and burning more calories than if I was not doing anything.

If I am just walking (i.e. taking a walk around the block, normal day-to-day activities) I do not enter in any exercise because the Fitbit will pick up the steps.

Minidom: I would suggest not removing the fibit before your exercise class. I wear my Fitbit 24/7. If you wear your Fitbit while you are doing cardio you can keep track of how many steps you have taken per 15 minutes (on Fitbit dashboard) and this can also help you to see if you might have worked really hard at an exercise session. Keeping it on also adds to our “high activity minutes” on Fitbit.
  • radcliff17
    radcliff17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I need a few friends who use fitbit for comparison ...if anyone wants to add me. I just got mine yesterday.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I log my zumba, and calisthenic exercises separate. I just let my fitbit sync my walking/running/stairs, activities. I love my fitbit and wear it everyday.
  • me4iam
    me4iam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I try to walk but I also go to an exercise group twice a week...some days I do well on the 10,000 steps but others I'm short by a couple of thousand....I figure it all works out in the end...and I'm always doing something.:smile: Also I like that I can record my BP so I have a record of it each day and that it connects to "MyFitnessPal".
  • loopylin32
    loopylin32 Posts: 63
    Options
    walking i let the fitbit handle it for me but when i do a workout i use the cals from my hrm :)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    hi, i just got mine a few days ago. i normally use my HRM during my weight/cardio. i emailed MFP about the best way to get accurate workouts logged & make sure it is not double counting or adding steps on during my workouts.

they got back to me yesterday. I did what the mfp/fitbit help rep suggested, which was to start the timer at the beginning of my workout & stop it when i was done. then when i synced on the fitbit i was able to find that chunk of time to alter the activity entry and enter the workout in MFP like i normally do.

but to be honest i think next time i might just take it off during my workout & put it back on when i'm done.
  • radcliff17
    radcliff17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hi, i just got mine a few days ago. i normally use my HRM during my weight/cardio. i emailed MFP about the best way to get accurate workouts logged & make sure it is not double counting or adding steps on during my workouts.

they got back to me yesterday. I did what the mfp/fitbit help rep suggested, which was to start the timer at the beginning of my workout & stop it when i was done. then when i synced on the fitbit i was able to find that chunk of time to alter the activity entry and enter the workout in MFP like i normally do.

but to be honest i think next time i might just take it off during my workout & put it back on when i'm done.
    i may need to try this for certain things....does this affect the sleep log?