Doing it all right or am I?

Options
34 years oldF/5'9/167lbs.

So I've been on MFP for about 2 months now. I have a desk job and while I may wander around the office, I am technically sedentary. I do have a 15mo old and we do move around but not crazy chasing. Plus, following a "strict" regime that includes daily exercise (circuit training with weights and cardio after) and following a clean diet. I have occasional rest days where I do not lift but only complete a form of cardio. Doing nothing for the day makes me feel unproductive and cagey.

I cheat when I feel like it; although these days, not really feeling it. I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein with each meal (protein shake for breakfast after the gym). However, while I have lost almost 8lbs, I wonder if I should be losing more. I rarely eat any of the calories back from exercising. My daily calorie goal is 1400, but most days I hit 1200-1300. Should I intake more? I don't want to believe that I could be putting my body into starvation mode. After 8 weeks, I do find myself more hungry and I think my metabolism is finally starting to kick in.

I am using the cardio to burn excess fat and the weight training/circuit training to build and burn as well. I feel great overall, but am wondering if my results should be better. Thoughts?

Replies

• TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    8 lbs in eight weeks? 1lb per week is right about where you want to be. Any faster than 1-2 lbs per week and you are likely losing more muscle than fat. I wouldn't over think it at this point but if you start to stall you might think about bumping your calories up a bit. Just my two cents. I think "starvation mode" is over-emphasized.

I too have been losing about a lb per week. Just imagine what you will look like in one year at that pace. You have to think longer term if this is going to stick.

With all of that said, if you want to take a REALLY long-term view, you could always bump up your calories to 1400 per day (actually getting that each day) and do that for 4 weeks and see what your body does. Call it an "experiment". If you gain a pound or two over that 4 weeks then you know that you need to be back in that 1200-1300 range. Part of this journey is figuring out your body and what works for you. Just think of this plan in months and years rather than weeks.
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    8 pounds in 8 weeks is actually great! One pound a week is a good amount, any more than that, and it could be too much. Keep it up! Also, if you're hungry all the time, your body probably needs more calories. Are you going off of MFP calories given or TDEE/BMR numbers?
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I thought I was doing pretty good, but wondered with as hard as I am pushing, if the "visual" results wouldn't be better. While my clothes are loser, I don't really see the changes.

I use MFP for everything; calculating food and exercise calories.