If saturated fat is NOT so bad...

Options
rgrin
rgrin Posts: 67 Member
... and may, in fact, be good and necessary for proper function of your body, how much should one be getting? The (anti-fat) USDA says it should account for only 7% of our overall calories. I've been been able to keep mine down to about 11%, but I could easily do more. Any scientifically-backed info on daily intake amounts?

Here is a long, but fascinating video called "Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They're Good for You."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe9z32NZHY&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    LOL@ the USDA. I aim for 70% of my diet to be from fat, and as much of that as possible from saturated fat.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    LOL@ the USDA. I aim for 70% of my diet to be from fat, and as much of that as possible from saturated fat.

Agreed. Not up to 70% of my diet yet, but I do love dropping some grass fed butter in my tea! lol.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Yep! Can't say that i aim for as much as possible from saturated, but I do like at least a 50/50 split of MUFA and saturated. I definitely try to absolutely avoid TF and PUFA
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world you get 33% from polyunsaturated, 33% from monounsaturated and 33% from saturated.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I know I have enough sat fat when my P floats on top the water.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Ditto, I think my fat is around 65% almost all sat fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world you get 33% from polyunsaturated, 33% from monounsaturated and 33% from saturated.
    Sounds logical but it's not. Polyunsaturated fats have been pretty scarce in nature up until recently and of course now there's a lot of talk about omega imbalance with too much omega 6's.