Motivation to do Running Program

Options
Hi everyone, I've been running for a year and a couple months now. Last year I did a bunch of 5ks, then trained for and completed a 10k, and then trained to run a faster 5 mile at a Turkey Trot. This year I trained for a half marathon I completed in April, but I struggled to keep my motivation through that program.

I signed up for my first full marathon in October. I know I can do it if I train. I have my program picked out and everything, and training for it officially begins on Monday. The race feels so far away though, I've been having a hard time doing my pre-program runs the past two months. I just don't feel like I have the motivation because the race is so far away. Not to mention I've gotten really slow ever since I started having the longer races as goals (ever since I started training for the half marathon), because now my focus is just on finishing, so I'm even really slow at 5ks, and that doesn't motivate me at all.

What tips do you all have for staying motivated and sticking with your programs?

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This is the very reason why I don't "train" very much. If I go out to train, I burn out after a few weeks - it has to be fun for me.

If you aren't shooting for a specific time, why not just run for the fun of it it? Do speed work if that's your thing, challenge yourself to go longer distances, whatever... but you don't have to follow a specific program.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I run with a friend EVERY weekend. When working up to our half marathons we just added an extra mile each weekend if the previous weekend went well. Having a friend helps a LOT to motivate me to not procrastinate the runs and it makes the long runs (2+ hrs) a lot more enjoyable.
  • sarannakitten
    Options
    I never have liked to run, but am doing it now using Zombie Run app. It is an interesting story with you as a runner after the Zombie Apocalypse. Might not be your cup of tea, but at least keeps me from dreading the routine so :-). But it might not help in your case, more aimed at 5K runners I think...
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    First off - Just want to say that I'm impressed at how far you came, and that totally motivates me. I statred running last July and have done a mini triathalon, a few 5K's, 8K, 10K and will be doing a Half in Oct. --Find others to run with, just to get out the door. I keep reading how my MFP friends do on their races, and reading about their speed training and that get me going.
    October isn't far away - so dont' hesitate. You got this! You did all the other races, so it's within your power as you are not a quitter!! Now, GO RUN.
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A local running group or just another group that is also training for the same race or similar would be good motivation and accountability.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's one thing I always do all my running by myself, I even go to the races by myself. There is a Cleveland West road runners club I could check out.

I thought about doing a blog about my adventure but I don't think I'd actually like that lol.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Zombies run has given me enough interest to keep going, and it is on sale right now for 3.99 :)
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just bought this... how much is the Zombie Run app normally?? I thought $3.99 was a bit much as it was, haha. I'm SO not a runner, but, I'd like to be! Maybe this will help :)