Eggplant recipes

Options
larodriguez02
larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
Anyone have any good eggplant recipes? I have an eggplant and not sure what to do with it other than eggplant parmesan. thx. :)

Replies

• LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but you could try making Baba ganoush. If you've never had it before, it's a dip like hummus, but with mashed eggplant instead of chickpeas.
  • PMOwens83
    PMOwens83 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love roasted eggplant. Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt & pepper, oregano, and garlic. Bake at 425 for about 30-35 mins.

Here are a few I had on my Pinterest I haven't gotten the chance to try yet.
    www.http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2011/09/super-size-me-eggplant.html

Sorry can't get the link to highlight for some reason
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love making my version of ratatouille:

In a large pan, using about a tablespoon of olive oil, saute 1 Eggplant, diced. When it begins to soften, add 1 Zucchini or Summer Squash, diced, 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced, and 1 Yellow Onion, Diced. When veggies all start to soften, add 1 Tomato, Diced, 2 Cloves Garlic, minced, a couple tablespoons of Tomato Paste, basil and oregano and salt and pepper to taste. When it's all warm and yummy, you can serve it on a grain of your choice (barley, brown rice, bulgar, etc) or sometimes I toast a hoagie bun and put it on there with some vegan cheese :)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I came across this one although haven't yet tried it myself.

A crisp nutty crust with a soft tender centre. Perfect for a main meal when served with a side salad or use as a side dish.
    Servings: 4
    Ingredients:
    2 Eggplant(s)
    100 ml Almond Milk
    1 3/4 cups Almond Meal
    3/4 tsp Macrobiotic Fine Salt
    1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
    4 Tbsp Oil Olive
    Method:
    1. Slice the eggplant into rounds approximately 1cm thick.
    2. Pour the almond milk into a shallow bowl.
    3. In a separate bowl mix together the almond meal, Himalayan crystal salt and chia seeds.
    4. Dip each eggplant slice into the almond milk, shake off excess liquid and then coat in the almond meal mixture. Press the almond meal on firmly to ensure it sticks. Place on a clean plate and repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
    5. Heat a fry pan over a medium heat and add enough oil to coat the base.
    6. Carefully arrange the eggplant slices on the preheated saucepan. When the underside is brown, flip the eggplant and cook the other side. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    here is what I have done and it very tasty.

Slice Eggplant into about 1/2 inch slices,

set up three stations,
    #1 Flour with seasonings (i use old bay)
    #2 egg beaters or eggs with a couple tablespoons of water mixed well
    #3 Fiber one original cereal ran through food processor.(optional add Parmasean-YUM)

One at a time put the slices in the flour then into the eggwash and into the chopped cereal coating then onto a baking sheet.

Bake on one side for 16 minutes and flip over, bake on other side for 15 minutes or until golden.
    Serve with your favorite pasta sauce for a wonderful baked eggplant dish crispy and delicious.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    pasta alla norma, caponata, baba ghannouj
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Baba Ganoush, roasted or pan-roasted, or ratatouille (I love this one: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/) are all fantastic.

I also love to grill it; cut in thick slices, sprinkle with salt and let sit in a strainer for 30min, then rinse and pat dry. Brush with some olive oil and flavorings of your choice (like S&P, garlic, soy sauce, balsamic, etc) and grill for a few minutes on each side. I eat it like a burger.

Also use it to replace some or all of the noodles in lasagna. Slice thinly lengthwise, salt and let sit, rinse and dry. Use it to layer your lasagna fillings and bake as usual. Salting is SUPER important here otherwise your lasagna will be a watery mess.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    pasta alla norma, caponata, baba ghannouj

Oooh caponata is delicious! Getting hungry over here.
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh awesome thanks for all the ideas!! I'm excited!
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I got one last week from our farmers market. Along with some onions and zucchini.

I had the Wever fired up for some grilled chicken and thought some grilled veggies would go well with it.

Cut the eggplant, onion, and zucchini in half lengthwise and brush with olive oil.
    Place flat side down directly over charcoal ( I had some grapevine in there as well for smoke)
    Cover for a few minutes. Turn. Continue to cook until soft. Probably 15 minutes or so.
    Pull off and reserve.
    Heat heavy saute pan over medium low heat.
    Add olive oil and garlic.
    Dice and add grilled veggies.
    Add some rosemary, oregano, thyme, and basil.
    Toss to heat through, squeeze on a little lemon juice.

Tastes just as good at room temp as it does hot.
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • HealthierFoodie
    HealthierFoodie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love making moussaka with a couple of revisions:

- Use greek yogurt mixed with egg and cheese for the topping instead of the traditional bechamel

- Use ground turkey instead of lamb/beef, or cut the lamb/beef in half and add diced mushrooms

- Omit potatoes

I made some a while back that ended up being 350 calories per serving and delicious!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille all the way! (emeril has an easy recipe on food.com, I just wing it making it now)

Awesome as a side with grilled chicken.

Any leftovers the next day we usually shred up the chicken and mix in with the ratatouille and serve over pasta.

edited to add: I used to HATE eggplant until I learned you need to salt it to make it non go slimy and mushy when cooking
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Got this from someone else.

Eggplant In Tomato Sauce
    1 eggplant, sliced into rounds about 1/2 inch thick
    table salt
    1 small red onion sliced
    1/4 cup pitted and sliced black olives
    1 jar tomato sauce ( I used Ragu Chunky Vegetable Primavera)
    sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    olive oil, for sauteing ( about 1 tablespoon)
    Slice the eggplant and sprinkle all over with salt. Cover with paper towels and weigh down with something heavy and let sit for at least 1/2 hour. Pat eggplant dry.
    Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a high rimmed frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced, dried eggplant and sliced onion and saute for a few minutes until the onions begin to soften.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just realized that I am missing the rest of the recipe. Sorry about that. I presume you just add the sauce and black olives and heat, ~
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Lots of yummy ideas!

I like to just slice it up, spray/mist with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and grill it! Sprinkle on some shredded Parmesan, fresh basil and fresh tomatoes.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    (Well you said 'besides eggplant parm' but here's my favorite eggplant dish which *is* eggplant parm...)

http://recipesbystroodle.blogspot.com/2013/02/eggplant-lasagna-recipe-easy.html#!/2013/02/eggplant-lasagna-recipe-easy.html

My best one! Write to me if you have questions. I made it as clear as I could.

Note: I ate this religiously when I was losing! It was my everyday lunch!!! I would freeze squares and defrost a piece each day. Trust me, if I didn't portion and freeze, I'd serve myself too much!!! It really helped me lose because it was so savory.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    In for more eggplant ideas, and here are three recipes from Cooking Light I haven't tried yet. I have no idea if they're good, but I'm going to try them when my garden starts producing.

Eggplant Involtini
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-involtini-50400000120176/

Eggplant and Goat Cheese Sandwich
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-goat-cheese-sandwiches-10000001924697/

Eggplant, Tomato and Smoked Mozzarella Tart
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-tomato-smoked-mozzarella-tart-10000000604729/