Strength training, then weighing in

Options
eemott
eemott Posts: 46 Member
I have read conflicting advice on whether or not to weigh in after you've worked out. One article said that weighing in after heavy weight lifting causes the muscles to retain water and you will weigh in heavier. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so...how much weight could that potentially appear to be a gain as? If that is true, should you weigh in on rest days? Any advice?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I like to take measurements and do weigh-ins the day after a rest day, first thing in the morning after waking up & using the restroom, before any food or water or workouts. That way there's less chance of showing a water weight gain, etc.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The suggestion that I've heard and relate to others: weigh once a week (same day), in on the morning after a rest day, right when you wake up (after the morning tinkle, before the morning coffee). Same day/same time/same pajamas. This eliminates a lot of factors at work. If that's not possible, then I would weigh before working out. Still once a week, same day preferably.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If you work out for 30 minutes, regardless of workout, then weigh after, you will weigh exactly the same (if you don't sweat) or slightly less.

IF you weigh more, it's because you drank something.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The suggestion that I've heard and relate to others: weigh once a week (same day), in on the morning after a rest day, right when you wake up (after the morning tinkle, before the morning coffee). Same day/same time/same pajamas. This eliminates a lot of factors at work. If that's not possible, then I would weigh before working out. Still once a week, same day preferably.

This.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weigh in same day, time, and under same circumstances with same scale....otherwise, doesn't matter. If you workout and you lift, you're always going to retain water, rest day or not...your body is holding onto it for repair.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Do it when you first wake up. If you can't then do it at a certain time, consistently. Any other time is just pointless since it can change drastically throughout the day.