I'm Stuck in a Plateau

Options
I am a 5' 9" , 48 years old man and currently my weight is 169 Pounds. I started to track calories through MyFitness Pal since December 2012 when I had 196 Pounds. I have always run about 50-80 miles per week and kept on doing it while keeping track of my calories helped me shed more than 27 Pounds. In May 1st I recorded 167 Pounds which is the lowest weight I have had in about 10 years. Since then I have not been able to loose more weight even though I kept my total net calories below 1250 cals. and included other excercises in my routine as Bycicle and elliptical trainer while keeping my running routine. I still will like to loose additional 10 more pounds but suddenly my body is not cooperating.

Replies

• carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do you do any weight lifting or even the weight machines? I bet if you started that it may make a difference. You've got to confuse your body. Some days work upper body, some do lower and even do both on a couple days.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bet you're eating too little for you body. Do you know your TDEE and BMR? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It sounds counter-intuitive, but eating too little really can affect weight loss.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Since people are going to ask anyway, let's just get this part out of the way: can you open your diary so we can take a look? Sometimes there are important clues there.

I *suspect* you aren't eating enough. (Since you're netting lower than me, and I'm a woman, shorter than you and weigh less). But without seeing your diary, it's hard to say that's the cause for sure.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When I have hit plateaus it has always been because I was overestimating exercise, underestimating portions or both. If your net calories are 1200, but you are eating 2500, I'd say you are overestimating your exercise loss. It's possible you are eating too little, of course, but honestly the human body isn't magic, if you are expending more energy than you take in via exercise, there is only so much your metabolism can compensate before letting go of that weight.
  • agustin64
    agustin64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the valuable advice. I have open my diary for everyone to see. I know I have to include weight training in my routine, will try to do it even though I don´t like it that much.
  • fongsl
    fongsl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    switch up your exercise routine. try doing some high interval training instead of jogging?
  • agustin64
    agustin64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I divide my running routines in easy (jog), tempo (distance/time goals), interval and long run. I agree with you that intervals provide some shock to the metabolsm and that I should include more speed and strength in my routines. Yestarday I did a 5 mile tempo run in the morning and did a 4.5 mile interval session at night.