Having Problems with sugar intake

Options
Hey all I'm just asking a quick question. Does anyone else have problems with sugar intake? And does anyone have any tips on not having as much?

Replies

• GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The sugar tracker here on mfp isn't very helpful, as it does not distinguish between natural and processed sugars. If you eat the recommended number of servings of fruit everyday, you will go over every time. I've disabled that tracker and substituted a different one in its place.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    are you talking about sugar cravings? or just having sugar period?

If you have to sweeten everything just start using less your taste buds will get used to it. The cravings....well I found something that works for me 99.5%!! No quick take a pill, not selling anything.

It is the recipe from Dr. Berg's book the 7 principles of fat burning. In the book it gives a recipe to make a drink that cleanses the liver. This reduces cravings from sugar, carbs, etc.

you can send me a message if interested.
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    I have a problem with sugar. My doctors solution cut it out completely. But to clarify I have PCOS and I am insulin resitant and there I have to cut cut it out 100% along with pasta :( (I will miss it!! Lol ) So give me till monday Ill let you know how I am doing. Lol
  • mackenzielizabeth
    Options
    What did you substitute in its place? I drink a fruit and veggie smoothie every morning and go over every stinkin' time!
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    I want that recipe!!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    The sugar tracker here on mfp isn't very helpful, as it does not distinguish between natural and processed sugars. If you eat the recommended number of servings of fruit everyday, you will go over every time. I've disabled that tracker and substituted a different one in its place.

Same. I have to track fiber for medical reasons, so i'm tracking that instead. Unless you are diabetic, you don't need to keep such a close eye on sugars.

I eat one banana and i'm over for the day. it's ridiculous.

Also search the forums... this topic has been covered many times and there may be better answers in older threads with what people have realized/done/advice.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have problems also ..... if I stay away from most breads & pasta, sweets & snacks then my sugar cravings go away ...... but as soon as I have just "a little piece" my sugar cravings hit full force :grumble:

Good luck !
  • mackenzielizabeth
    Options
    Also, just a quick side note! I think it's awesome you're cutting sugar.

Make sure though, that you aren't eating the calorie-free sweeteners instead. Those'll make you gain weight faster than the real deal!

I love pb & j, but jelly is usually loaded with sugar. I found Smucker's strawberry REDUCED sugar preserves, and it is seriously the best jelly i've ever had. (this stuff: http://www.shop.com/Smuckers_Low_Sugar_Strawberry_Reduced_Sugar_Preserves_15_5_oz-749212343-783202743-p+.xhtml?sourceid=298&gclid=CObNzd635LcCFfLm7Aod_1UADw which I buy at Target.)

Also, any low-fat product is loaded with suger to make up for the loss of flavor, so you're better off sticking to small amounts of the real deal (sour cream, cream cheese, etc.) than going "low-fat". You probably already knew this stuff though! :)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone here. I have no medical needs to track sugar, and ignore it because it doesn't differentiate between processed and natural sugars. I watch the calories and that's about it!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I have a problem with sugar. My doctors solution cut it out completely. But to clarify I have PCOS and I am insulin resitant and there I have to cut cut it out 100% along with pasta :( (I will miss it!! Lol ) So give me till monday Ill let you know how I am doing. Lol

I have PCOS and Insulin Restance as well. I don't track my sugar becasue like someoen said MFP does not distinguish between natural sugars and added sugars. I eat a good amounts for Fruit, and Vegitables, I have cut out Simple Carbs as much as possible. And FYI I have found that Brown Rice Pasta tastes even better than regular Pasta! You should check out one of the PCOS groups on MFP and/or some of the pCOS websites. Some good ones are PCOSDIVA.com, PCOSNutrition.com and conqueryourpcosnaturally.com. I have found all those resources really helpful.

The place I find the hardest with the cutting out processed sugar is in greek yogurt. The light variaty has the lowest amount of sugar but has sucrolose or asperain in it and the FDA does not require manufactures to put the amount of sugar substitues on the nutrition facts.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options

Also, any low-fat product is loaded with suger to make up for the loss of flavor, so you're better off sticking to small amounts of the real deal (sour cream, cream cheese, etc.) than going "low-fat". You probably already knew this stuff though! :)

I stopped buying low-fat stuff after hearing this so many places. Glad you pointed it out!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options

I stopped buying low-fat stuff after hearing this so many places. Glad you pointed it out!

I avoid the low fat no fat stuff because of this (and really they have to do something to make it taste like the real stuff) and because half of the time I cannot pronounce any of the ingredients and I am not sure it even qualifies as "food" anymore lol (slightly kidding but only slightly)

I do find if I want to sweeten my coffee or something else, lately I have been using Xylitol. Because it is natural, tastes the closest to sugar, has 40% of the calories of sugar, has a GI of 7 so no blood sugar issues and it is good for dental health apparently :)