What counts as light house work?

Options
2»

Replies

• Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,027 Member
    Options
    If you look in the exercise database. You will see that it burns as many calories as walking 2.0 mph. I would count light housecleaning if it was something you don't usually do -- even if you don't work up a sweat.

If you are working up a good sweat, I would log it as Heavy housework.

Even cooking is listed in the database. It burns calories to be on your feet and moving/bending/reaching/chopping. If it is not something that you normally do regularly and have been doing... I would count that, too!

Fishing is another one of those that is listed in the database. Some would not think that this burns calories if you are sitting in a boat or standing on the shore.

If you don't know how to find these in the database. Click on the Exercise tab and you will see under it -- the tab for database.

For me, light housecleaning would mean laundry, dishes, etc. I personally don't log light housecleaning because it is part of my normal day to day life activity. I do log any cleaning that makes me sweat.

(Remember that any of the posts that you read and don't like or don't make sense to you, just ignore... ).

Good luck to you!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you look in the exercise database. You will see that it burns as many calories as walking 2.0 mph. I would count light housecleaning if it was something you don't usually do -- even if you don't work up a sweat.

If you are working up a good sweat, I would log it as Heavy housework.

Even cooking is listed in the database. It burns calories to be on your feet and moving/bending/reaching/chopping. If it is not something that you normally do regularly and have been doing... I would count that, too!

Fishing is another one of those that is listed in the database. Some would not think that this burns calories if you are sitting in a boat or standing on the shore.

If you don't know how to find these in the database. Click on the Exercise tab and you will see under it -- the tab for database.

For me, light housecleaning would mean laundry, dishes, etc. I personally don't log light housecleaning because it is part of my normal day to day life activity. I do log any cleaning that makes me sweat.

(Remember that any of the posts that you read and don't like or don't make sense to you, just ignore... ).

Good luck to you!

I think this was the first response I saw that actually addressed the question. Most the others were just rude.
  • Dream24601
    Dream24601 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the people that actually answered the question. As for the people who didn't, I've just gotten out of a very long period of depression, where all I would do is sleep and eat. I can barely do anything now, so to me, any movement is exercise and should be treated as such.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the people that actually answered the question. As for the people who didn't, I've just gotten out of a very long period of depression, where all I would do is sleep and eat. I can barely do anything now, so to me, any movement is exercise and should be treated as such.

I am sorry there were people that rude... as long as you are moving I would say that is great! I used to log housework as well when I was counting my exercise calories...I don't any longer as I use a spreadsheet that takes it into account. If you have an HRM I would definitely log it!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options

*hugs* I was very inactive at first too (recovering from a severly broken ankle). For the first month or so I logged all my housework because it WAS out of the ordinary for me to do. When it became ordinary, I started just logging the more strenuous housework (including laundry dance parties with my son).
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I only count Mopping a sweeping...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would define it as 15+ minutes of continuous typical cleaning... whether that's picking up a room or dusting. Heavy cleaning would be scrubbing, climbing, moving furniture to clean. But honestly, I don't count it because my fitbit does already. In any regard, I would also only count it if you are set at sedentary, but that's just my opinion.

Don't worry about those that disagree with counting cleaning as exercise. I have had a couple of friends (in my real day to day life) count cleaning and even cooking as exercise and they have lost a great deal of weight. Do what works, if it doesn't work, try something else.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Light exercise intensity
    Light activity feels easy. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a light level:
    You have no noticeable changes in your breathing pattern.
    You don't break a sweat (unless it's very hot or humid).
    You can easily carry on a full conversation or even sing.

Moderate exercise intensity
    Moderate activity feels somewhat hard. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a moderate level:
    Your breathing quickens, but you're not out of breath.
    You develop a light sweat after about 10 minutes of activity.
    You can carry on a conversation, but you can't sing.

Vigorous exercise intensity
    Vigorous activity feels challenging. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a vigorous level:
    Your breathing is deep and rapid.
    You develop a sweat after a few minutes of activity.
    You can't say more than a few words without pausing for breath.

I don't think it's cheating or stupid to use housework as exercise. Just because some people eat their exercise cals, doesn't mean everyone does. Sometimes I try not to because I'm not sure how well the calories burned calculators work.

Using housework may not work for people who need high intensity work outs to have a good calorie burn but if someon is not very active to begin with, I think any movement helps.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Given your situation I would definately count housework, I did to until I got to the point where I was able to deep clean every day. Then when I started adding workouts I changed my activity level to lightly active. Now I'm moderately active and just do tdee-20%.

You gotta start somewhere right? And you are headed in the right direction :happy: