Polar FT4 problems :(

Options
So, I was using an old polar ft4 nearl every day for a good few months before I had any problems with it. It would start to record my heart rate and then just display 00 and stop the calorie burn count.
I bought a new one to replace the old one, and it's now doing the same. I've not used it yet - the first workout was at night and after a minute or two it displayed 00 and then wouldn't show my heart rate when I started it any more. I went to use it again today and it's done the same - the connectors are right between my boobs and flush with the skin; the strap on the watch and chest are good and tight; the connectors are the right way up etc.

It's annoying me, because the MFP calorie estimates are never correct at all.

Replies

• quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Have you wet the strap? Mine almost always shows 00 when I first start unless I run the strap real quick underneath a faucet...then it usually shows up right away (once I hit start).

I do find it annoying when I want to workout and all I see are the 00's.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the batteries? Both on the strap and on the watch?
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    I always run the strap under water before starting and still 00 - I even just poured some water from my bottle over it there after it showed 00 again :(
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    This is completely brand new, only received it a week ago - would the batteries be dead?
  • Majda_
    Majda_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing. I just wet the strap and it's back to normal !
  • mad4beinhere
    mad4beinhere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the strap is REALLY WET and your skin, Clean also.
    I put my HRM on then put my bra over the top so that it is on my skin and not being pushed off or dislodged.
    Works every time I workout. and only had a problem when it needed washing.
    I put it in a bra bag then in the washing machine for a good clean.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm going to do a little more exercise tonight so I'll just keep at it with trial and error and use the mfp guides in the meantime
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mine has given me trouble since about a month after I got it. I've tried everything...new batteries for both the strap and the wrist band, washing each time (Most often, with my laundry, as per the rep's suggestion.), tightening the strap, wetting it before I put it on each time.
    I'm pretty frustrated with it, so I had a live chat with another Polar rep and they sent me a UPS shipping paid label to return everything to them for repair/replacement.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! When it first started happening I changed both batteries and still it would happen, it turned out that I just needed to tighten the strap. Now when it loses signal, I know I've lost weight lol.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me, too! I agree with the above posters: make sure that strap is dripping wet before you put it on. Wetting the skin first too. Make sure that the strap is both tight enough and that the buckle won't "migrate," loosening the strap mid-workout. I fixed the migrating issue by sewing the buckle in place with a needle and thread. Just a couple of stitches should be enough. You can always re-sew and adjust as needed as your rib cage shrinks.

Another issue if the weather is dry and cold (probably not an issue in the summer, but putting it out there): The strap may not stay wet enough if your skin is dry and not staying sweaty, and static electricity can interfere with the HRM signal. There's a cream that can improve the conductivity of the HRM electrodes--you can buy it on Amazon. I wrote a blog entry with more details here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/karint74/view/hrm-screwy-this-fixed-it-487932

Hope this helps.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Even when using water, sometimes my HRM won't give a proper reading. So I bought Spectra Electrode Gel conductor between the strap and the skin. I'll still lightly wet the skin beneath where the strap goes. Since I've been using the gel, I no longer have problems with incorrect readings.

Google: Spectra 360 Electrode Gel
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a FT40, and I was having the same problem. Only it was telling me that my heart rate was at 220, before dropping off to 0 (I was watching myself have a heart attack...). Not so bad if I hadnt left home, a bit frustrating, but annoying if I was halfway through a run to realise that my heart rate wasnt being tracked for the least god knows how long, and I would have to exit the workout on my watch, go back into it, wait for it to detect my heart rate (which took a while sometimes), and then I would have to watch it to make sure it wasnt doing the same thing a few minutes later.

I got mine last November, and I took it back to where I bought it from a couple of weeks ago. They sent it away to Polar, and I got it back last week. As far as I can tell, all they did was totally replace the chest strap - its now a different model from the one I had, so maybe thats just a pretty common error? I've used it three times this week already, and havent had a problem.

I would take it back to where you bought it from and ask them to fix it/replace it/refund it. But they will probably send away to Polar, who I guess would go through the same process.

But it was so annoying it not picking up on my heart rate!