Treadmill vs. outdoors?

Options
I can jog on my treadmill for 30 minutes straight through, its usually around 2 and a half miles when I'm finished, but when I jog outside I huff and puff and have to stop to take a break before I even get to the end of the street. Does anyone else have this problem? Or, are my lungs just super strange? ;)

Replies

• coliegirl531
    Options
    I can jog on my treadmill for 30 minutes straight through, its usually around 2 and a half miles when I'm finished, but when I jog outside I huff and puff and have to stop to take a break before I even get to the end of the street. Does anyone else have this problem? Or, are my lungs just super strange? ;)
  • skittles20
    skittles20 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm the opposite of that. :laugh:
    I can only do around 30 on the treadmill and by the end of that I'm exhausted! And I don't even go that fast and I take lots of breaks.
    But then when I'm outside I'm able to go at a steady pace for much longer without getting too tired. I also find that I get bored much faster on a treadmill than I do when I'm running outside.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    me too I'm fine on the treadmill - outside forget it:ohwell:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are running faster outside and not as consistently when you are outside. Try slowing down and jogging instead of 'running'. If you can get to a track and time your pace it would be helpful - local high school track is very accessible...or county/municipal track.... Slow down!!! I had this problem too and there was a huge difference in my inside vs. outside pace!

Don't give up! Outside running is awesome!
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm the same indoors and out. the only thing that affects my endurance is not drinking water before. So I just make sure I have at least 2 cups of H2O before any excercise.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm the same indoors and out. the only thing that affects my endurance is not drinking water before. So I just make sure I have at least 2 cups of H2O before any excercise.

Runnersworld.com suggests this....16 oz two hours before running and 12 oz just before your run....
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    When I run on the treadmill I run with no incline. I went running outside and the hills killed me. Also, if it is hot outside I don't run as well. I think the treadmill propels you along, while outside you have to keep that momentum up on your own. Either way, good for you for running!!
  • Davidsalthouse
    Options
    I was always told it takes more energy to run outside. The treadmill moving so you are kepping up with it rather the pushing your body forward to achive the same distance when running outside.

Running is running though right, good for you for hitting the treadmill
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    they are right--a treadmill not only propels you a little bit forward, but also does not account for wind resistance. It is recommended that you run 70% of your runs outside for greater benefits...

plus, running outside allows you to explore your areas in ways you never get to in a car. You can be more spiritual outside and focus on your mental challenges, on a treadmill you are forced to be motivated by tv or music while staring at the wall.

Keep trying outside, you will learn to love it!!!

Plus, outside tones your legs and butt FAR more!

-a fellow runner
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I could run and run on the treadmill but not outdoors. I then timed my runs and realized I was running much faster outdoors. Hills and wind also make a difference. Just keep trying. It gets better.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I will run/walk outside in the rain if I can ....it is soooo much better for me. I can run farther/better outside most of the time. I also notice a difference in my body when I can be consistently outside...and on the scale....b/c like others have said, you are doing the work outside, not the treadmill.

Keep it up----good luck!
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Bump. I had the same question. Ran for the first time tonight on a treadmill. I'd been running outside, but it's getting too cold.... The treadmill was a pain b/c I had to keep adjusting the daggone pace. I guess when I'm outside, I run at different paces. I was surprised at how fast I started out running, and then kept having to slow down and down and down towards the end of the runs :laugh: (doing the C25k, and this was D1 of W4). Even during the walks, I walk a lot faster than I had assumed. Anyway, I wondered if there were any thoughts on treadmill vs outside running?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I normally run outside but with the days getting shorter I don't really have a safe place to run in the dark after work. I just started to run on a treadmill yesterday. For me it was harder to run further on a treadmill. So far anyway. I think I started out running too fast because I didn't know what speed to start at. Outside it's easier to pace myself. I guess I just have to get used to the treadmill and learn what speed to start out with. Also is more boring running on a treadmill because there's no scenery to look at. :tongue:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If my handle didn't give you any clues, I run outside. When I decided to start C25K it never even crossed my mind to run on a treadmill until I saw other members talking about it.

I've made some posts in the "Begginning Runner's Club" thread about wind resistance on my runs. It makes a huge difference, and I think I'm a better runner for having dealt with it. That's on my daytime rout. My darkness rout there are several slight inclines, and terrain variences that I have to deal with.

I will run in any tempurature, but I won't run in a cold rain, warm rain for sure.

Finally, 5K's are run outside. If your goal is to run in a 5K or beyond why wouldn't you do the majority of your running outside?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    If my handle didn't give you any clues, I run outside. When I decided to start C25K it never even crossed my mind to run on a treadmill until I saw other members talking about it.

I've made some posts in the "Begginning Runner's Club" thread about wind resistance on my runs. It makes a huge difference, and I think I'm a better runner for having dealt with it. That's on my daytime rout. My darkness rout there are several slight inclines, and terrain variences that I have to deal with.

I will run in any tempurature, but I won't run in a cold rain, warm rain for sure.

Finally, 5K's are run outside. If your goal is to run in a 5K or beyond why wouldn't you do the majority of your running outside?

I agree. I'd much rather run outside especially since I plan to run a 5k in November. But I'm not comfortable running at night now that it gets dark sooner. Amy and I decided we'd run on a treadmill on Tuesday's and Thursdays and run outside on Saturdays because we can run earlier on Saturdays since neither of us work on that day.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody,
    I so miss the time walk/jogging outside but can no longer do that during the week b/c it's too dark outside by the time I get home. DH scored a decent treadmill at a yard sale and I've been doing that during the week nights and getting outside on Saturday and Sunday --- i agree, it is very spiritual, I get to noitce things in nature and i just plain feel like i'm getting a better work out!!
    Treadmill is kinda dull but I started dvr-ing comedy from the comedy channel and let it play while I'm on the treadmill - sounds goofy but it keeps a smile on my face and helps me keep going when my motvation is low. Anything to keep the action behind the desire, right??
    I also dvr biggest loser and listen to that on the treadmill - every commercial break I'm jogging so I got a pretty good interval thing going on!!

Keep Striving,
    J