Question; Should I bother with a BMI? HELP please!

Options
I like researching. In studying BMI's I found out that there are different formulas for BMI calculators. (more on that in a moment). Why did I decide to look into BMI calculators? Well I read that last years worlds strongest man weighs 390# @ 75" and is clinically obese. Wait.. whut? Yes you read that right. the worlds strongest man is obese according to medical BMI calculations.
So this got me thinking what should my ideal weight REALLY be and are there other BMI calculators?
Turns out that, yes, there are other BMI calculators. I decided before I tried them out that I'd pick what I wanted to weigh. I went for 252# (I'm 6'1"). Why this arbitrary number? Well if I have a little muscle that'd put me a stone or two over the average guy so I picked 252.
I found the link below and tried it out.
By sheer coincidence my ideal choice is IDENTICAL to the peoples choice ideal BMI; but it puts me as obese in the medical BMI.
So here's the question, should I diet to the medical BMI, to the peoples choice BMI or should I just go on until I'm happy with how I look?
I am SO confused.
HELP!
http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Replies

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Personally I find body fat percent a far more meaningful number. BMI is irrelevant for anyone with decent musculature and a healthy body fat percentage.
  • Freenarative
    Options
    Good point. And you just reminded me that my scales have a fat measuring ability. I haven't used it so far. brb......
    I have 40% fat. My Ideal is 15%. Yeah,,,,,,, I'll be bringing that down soon!
    Thank you for the reminder. and thank you for the help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have muscles...by BMI standards, I'm overweight slightly...by BF% standards I'm at a healthy BF%.
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    BMI is a pretty generic formula that is easy to calculate, and is probably pretty relevant for a significant amount of the adult population.

The standard equation doesn't take body composition into account at all, which is much more important when you're looking at things like obesity, than the snapshot that your weight and height tell you. But its a pretty decent measure to start off with, before doing things like hip-to-waist ratio and getting your body fat composition properly measured.

It also doesn't tell the difference between male or female - men being recommended to have a much lower body fat percentage than women, and it doesn't work at all for athletes or children.

I'm enjoying seeing my BMI come down - easy to calculate and I can do it whenever I fancy. I cant go out and get my body fat composition measured accurately every time I have the whim to do so.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like researching. In studying BMI's I found out that there are different formulas for BMI calculators.

There is a single definition of BMI.

Weight in kg divided by (height in metres) squared.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When someone says that BMI doesn't always apply and gives themselves as an example, it usually really doesn't apply for the person making the point. If they give someone else as an example, it is usually because BMI likely does apply and they just wish it did not. I want to be toned up but not ripped. I can justify a BMI close to 25, but very little if any over.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    BMI is a "so-so" tool for the non-athletic. It gives you a general range that should be moderately accurately.

That said, as you develop more musculature it becomes increasingly inaccurate. Generally speaking, especially for athletic people, body fat percentages will give you a better idea of your correct body weight than BMI.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I personally see BMI kind of like the Check Engine light on a car... it could show that there is a problem, but it is basically a diagnostic tool. If BMI is in the overweight or obese (or underweight) ranges, then I would consult with my physician (and other professionals if/as necessary) and make sure that my BF%, and blood work and other health indicators are in a healthy range. I would also seek their advice as to whether or not I should worry.

Right now, my BMI is slightly overweight (about 26), but my BF % is in the healthy range (between 19 and 24 percent depending on the calculation used). I am looking to bring both my BMI and BF down a bit as I have discovered that I had muscles hiding under all that padding I had when I started on MFP...
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a medical tool to let you and your doctor know what problems you are more likely to have. If you are higher than the normal range, your doctor may suggest getting tests done to monitor your blood sugar, for example. If you are outside of the normal range due to the fact that you are a professional body builder, than don't worry about it. Otherwise it's just one marker, among many, that tells you whether or not you're prone to certain things.

The problem is that BMI is often used by life insurance companies to figure out how much you should pay for life insurance. That's really the only time I can think of that anyone should be angry that they are considered obese according to their BMI when they really are a body builder.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Just go on until you're happy with how you look. If you really want an objective standard, look into waist to height ratio. It is more predictive of health than BMI.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10054519/Waist-to-height-ratio-more-accurate-than-BMI.html