Tips For Cutting Fat

Options
Hi Guys!

I would love some suggestions on cutting down on the fat! Feel free to check out my food diary. If I were to walk into a grocery store, what are some great products that are low fat? What do you eat? I really focus on the calories, but I know it is time to start taking a look at my fat and carb intake!

I switched from a 1500 calorie allowance to a 1200 calorie allowance yesterday, so please ignore the calorie overages in my diary. They weren't overages at the time!!! ;)

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend cutting the fat - eat good, whole foods fat sources from nuts, avocadoes, olive oil, meat, dairy, etc. We need fat in our diet to lose fat.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not talking about cutting out fat... Just staying under my goal for fat. I go over often, but not by much.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    oikos greek yogurt is my new favorite zero fat!! and no added fake sugars
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Read the labels on your sugar free snack foods. It seems like whenever they go sugar free the fat foes through the roof!
  • pchristie
    Options
    I try to eat natural foods like fruits, veggies, and lean meat. I try to get my fat from nuts, avacados, and olive oil as well as salmon for omega 3 oil. I read labels for everything I buy - even when it's for the kids because if it's in the house, there's always a chance that I am going to grab it when I'm starving and haven't planned well for the day.

For quick snacks, I like the fiber one bars. They taste pretty good and they don't have tons of fat or sugar. I also like the full bars. They have 170 calories each, which is kind of a lot, but they really do fill me up when I eat them with water and the sweetener in them is one that is processed slowly so as not to cause that sugar spike.

I also like fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, and low fat cheese sticks. I think if you just read labels and eat what you enjoy, you'll do well.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks good. Lots of whole grains, fiber, low fat dairy and fruit. I see a lot of eating out, but fairly good choices. A bit of a starbucks habit, but not that big of a deal. I would suggest some slow gradual changes. Switch off the processed foods (ie breakfast bars) for real food. Try an omelette for breakfast, or my favorite, warm up some frozen rasberries in the microwave, top with organic plain greek yogurt, a little real maple syrup as sweetener if needed, and top with small amount of crunchy granola. So yummy. You are young and probably have a fast metabolism don't ruin it by eating too little, I think you were doing better with the 1500 calories a day. If you want faster results. exercise more instead.
  • hellokatee
    Options
    I try to eat natural foods like fruits, veggies, and lean meat. I try to get my fat from nuts, avacados, and olive oil as well as salmon for omega 3 oil. I read labels for everything I buy - even when it's for the kids because if it's in the house, there's always a chance that I am going to grab it when I'm starving and haven't planned well for the day.

For quick snacks, I like the fiber one bars. They taste pretty good and they don't have tons of fat or sugar. I also like the full bars. They have 170 calories each, which is kind of a lot, but they really do fill me up when I eat them with water and the sweetener in them is one that is processed slowly so as not to cause that sugar spike.

I also like fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, and low fat cheese sticks. I think if you just read labels and eat what you enjoy, you'll do well.

I also LOVE the FiberOne bars. I try to avoid them for snacks because they are so yummy, I will want two. I usually eat them at breakfast.
  • hellokatee
    Options
    Your diet looks good. Lots of whole grains, fiber, low fat dairy and fruit. I see a lot of eating out, but fairly good choices. A bit of a starbucks habit, but not that big of a deal. I would suggest some slow gradual changes. Switch off the processed foods (ie breakfast bars) for real food. Try an omelette for breakfast, or my favorite, warm up some frozen rasberries in the microwave, top with organic plain greek yogurt, a little real maple syrup as sweetener if needed, and top with small amount of crunchy granola. So yummy. You are young and probably have a fast metabolism don't ruin it by eating too little, I think you were doing better with the 1500 calories a day. If you want faster results. exercise more instead.

Yes, I definitely had Taco Bell one day. I did choose tacos and stayed under on my calories that day, but went WAY over on the sodium. Anyway, the Starbucks is just something I have been doing lately. I have a 75 calorie coffee which is a lot better than the 500 calorie coffee I used to drink a few months ago. I much prefer my Americano to a drip coffee... I'm not sure why. Thanks for the tips, I will be trying breakfast options as soon as I motivate myself to start making them!
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, but stay away from it because of the fat.
    I have never checked, but I wonder if Almond Butter has less fat?
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Read the labels on your sugar free snack foods. It seems like whenever they go sugar free the fat foes through the roof!

And when it's fat-free sugar gets upped. What the heck, packaged foods?
  • hellokatee
    Options
    I love peanut butter, but stay away from it because of the fat.
    I have never checked, but I wonder if Almond Butter has less fat?

I have tried reduced fat peanut butter... But it just isn't as good!
  • hellokatee
    Options

And when it's fat-free sugar gets upped. What the heck, packaged foods?

That is definitely true! If you look at the sugar in something like say, fat free half 'n half (yuck) it is ASTRONOMICAL! AH!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see terrible or bad choices in your diary, though I would agree that a breakfast bar, while good, could be subbed for something more natural (oatmeal and banana?). I see that your fat counts are high more because of cheese and peanut butter. Realistically I know what barney is saying, and the truth is you should concentrate more on the bad (trans/saturated) fats as opposed to the overall fat content. Anyway, they do make reduced fat peanut butter that could help ya a little. Otherwise it looks like you're doing fine
  • hellokatee
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see terrible or bad choices in your diary, though I would agree that a breakfast bar, while good, could be subbed for something more natural (oatmeal and banana?). I see that your fat counts are high more because of cheese and peanut butter. Realistically I know what barney is saying, and the truth is you should concentrate more on the bad (trans/saturated) fats as opposed to the overall fat content. Anyway, they do make reduced fat peanut butter that could help ya a little. Otherwise it looks like you're doing fine

Thanks! I just see those negative numbers and I think "Oh, no. What have I done????" :P
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suggest making a lot of good-for-you-things. I like to make a huge pot of vegetable soup in the crock pot. In my stir fry (and almost everything else!) I put cabbage which is a great source of fiber and is an awesome filler- it really stretches your meals. Black beans are also amazing- low in fat and tasty. You can make some great chicken tacos with chicken, tomatoes, cabbage, black beans, corn, onions and garlic. Throw some corn tortillas in the oven on broil over the metal rack and you have great, low fat shells that are TASTY. Good luck!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you have your percentages at but you can go up to 30% fat in your diet and still be in healthy range. Some people on here do 40 carbs and 30 fats and protein. I do 50 carbs and 25 fat and protein. I think you wouldn't be over if you played around with your numbers.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions for monitoring and lowering fat.

Regarding the Fiber One bars--if you like those, try the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Bars. They cost less, and (except for the peanut butter flavor) have about 1/2 the sodium that the Fiber One's have. The Dark Chocolate Almond is delicious.