HRM: Chest strap or no chest strap?

Options
I'm looking at different HRM and I'm wondering whether or not to get one with a chest strap. The watch like ones look really cool but I'm wondering if they're worth it without the chest strap. I've read reviews on some of the watch HRM and a lot of them say it's not a consistent heart rate, that you have to hold a button or other inconveniences to get a reading. I'm also worried if I do get one the chest strap will bother me while running or it won't stay on right.

So what kind of HRM do you use? Do you use a strap?

If you have any recommendations that would be great too. I don't need anything fancy, just something to tell me my heart rate and how many calories I burn would also be great. My price range is up to $100. I really don't want to spend too much and I don't need anything too high tech either. I have heard with HRM that you get what you pay for though.

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    My HRM is a watch and a chest strap - Its not annoying to me, I forget I have it on. The sensors on the strap does have to get sweaty/wet before it starts reaing, so I usually lick my hand and rub the area haha weird?
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Used to use a watch one, was ridiculous having to stop every few minutes and push on the buttons to get a reading. <---very inaccurate.

Then I bought a chest strap one (I believe New Balance), which was easier to use. I'd say if you want a more accurate reading go with a chest strap.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I guess the question here should be, "How accurate do you want your calorie burns?"

If you want them as accurate as possible, go for the chest strap. No question. If you're more concerned with getting heart rate readings and not too concerned with how many calories you burn, maybe a watch would work for you. But I'd feel it's inconvenient and annoying to hold the button down to get a good reading.

I have a polar ft4 - with chest strap - and I love it. The only time I've had a problem with the strap while running is when it wasn't adjusted properly, but you can make it bigger or smaller to help it stay on properly. It's a very good, basic and easy-to-use model for beginners who don't need fancy schmancy options. It tells me my HR, my burns, time...and that's all I care about. It only stores my last 10 workout sessions but I have no use for it to save sessions from last month, etc.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The chest strap is a lot more accurate and allows for continuous monitoring. If you're just spot checking to make sure your heart rate doesn't get too high, a watch is probably fine. If you're looking to get calorie counts, go with the chest strap.
  • Summerxx13
    Summerxx13 Posts: 22
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys I'll definitely go with a chest strap one then :)
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I have a Wahoo Blue HRM with a chest strap, and it is awesome. Knowing your exact calorie burn and having a complete workout history is pretty awesome! I can accurately input EVERYTHING into MFP and Fitbit now. Not to mention the Wahoo app syncs perfectly with Nike+.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple -- Get a strap, it's more accurate, I tried the strapless, piece of junk! Polar all the way ft4 or something similar...you can find them for your price range...excellent investment, IMO go to polar.com they will ask a few questions for what you are looking for and suggest models...good luck
  • darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 - with chest strap - and I love it. The only time I've had a problem with the strap while running is when it wasn't adjusted properly, but you can make it bigger or smaller to help it stay on properly. It's a very good, basic and easy-to-use model for beginners who don't need fancy schmancy options. It tells me my HR, my burns, time...and that's all I care about. It only stores my last 10 workout sessions but I have no use for it to save sessions from last month, etc.

^^^^^
    This!
  • giggalon
    giggalon Posts: 22 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    This!

Also agree! I love mine its got everything i need and i dont even notice it.....And the bonus is it comes in PINK!!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Used to use a watch one, was ridiculous having to stop every few minutes and push on the buttons to get a reading. <---very inaccurate.

Then I bought a chest strap one (I believe New Balance), which was easier to use. I'd say if you want a more accurate reading go with a chest strap.
    Same here - the watch only model only goes by your most recent reading, meaning you have to pause & take a reading quite often if you want it to be anywhere near accurate. This leads to a slowed down workout, it doesn't always read the first time so you have to pause longer and try again, etc, etc.

I ditched that one and bought a New Balance N4 with a chest strap - much much better. Press start on the watch and off I go, no worrying about taking readings, it monitors my heart rate the whole time. I've had it for around 2 years and it works great. I use it for all my running and workouts, and the chest strap doesn't bother me at all. You might notice it at first because it's a new thing, but it sits right under the elastic band of my sports bra and I don't even feel it.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use a Zephyr that works with my android phone and Endomondo sports tracker app, it's a chest strap. It doesn't bother me at all, very easy to use and consistent in it's readings whether I am running or boxing. Works great.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Definitely invest in one with a chest strap. I, too, was unsure of the chest strap, but it is actually pretty comfortable and feels just like the bottom band of a sports bra. I have the Polar FT4, too, and absolutely love it!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    This!

Also agree! I love mine its got everything i need and i dont even notice it.....And the bonus is it comes in PINK!!!!

Agree Got mine in a gold
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Get the amiigo !
  • AutumnRed84
    AutumnRed84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar chest strap. It is comfortable, no issues. Mine is bluetooth and sends my information to my digifit account on my iPhone. I then have my digifit account linked to MFP and it automatically syncs my workout information. I LOVE IT!!! I just strap on my HRM, start my workout on digifit and start burning those calories!!! If you go to the digifit website they have tons of HRM listed on there. I know there are other apps/programs that offer these features as well.
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    This!

I too have the pink FT4 and love it :) Haven't had an issue with it yet.
  • b3ckybick
    b3ckybick Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been using a chest strap and I don't even know it is there. I believe it is very accurate.