New at this

Options
While I am not new to MFP, I have been on here for about a year but actively using it for the last month. I have never posted or even looked at the boards. I have spent the last few days reading some of the conversations here and it is very motivating. So here is my story.

I have always struggled with weight. I weighed 221 pounds when I graduated University 2 years ago. I wasn't happy with myself as before I went back to school I had been going to curves and using the Wii fit for some additional cardio and had lost about 15 pounds and was feeling pretty good and most importantly my diabetic control was improving. This of course will help me to avoid long term complications which is one of my goals and reasons that I want to lose weight. Anyhow at school I fell of the wagon, as I just wasn't coping with the stress and papers and exams for 5 classes a semester took over my life. Well, I survived school and graduated having gained back the weight I had lost but happy to be done.

I knew I needed to get back at it but just could not find the motivation however after a year and a half I finally decided it was time to get going. I had been thinking about it for some time and knew I had to make some changes. One of the things I do in my employment is try and help people who are dealing with health issues to obtain needed medication. Many of the people I speak with are also diabetics and are dealing with the complications that can come with it. I am still a fairly health diabetic and do no suffer from any issues other than my daily insilun injections but am well aware that can change anytime.

Now don't judge me here, because I have never done this before, but my sister came to me very excited about a new diet product called skinnyfibre that is availble in the US. It has helped her and her family and she was just so enthusiastic about it. She had signed up to be a distributor and was trying to meet a sales goal. So I agreed to try it. I have never in my life taken a diet pill but figured I would give it a try for a month. So I took the pill and decided that I better weigh myself to start. I weighed myself daly for a week and lost a couple of pounds. After a week on the diet pill, weighing myself daily (I am a daily weigher) I realized I needed to get active. So I started doing 30 minutes of low impact aerobics 6 days a week. They recommend that diabetics do 30 minutes of aerobics 5 days a week.

That was three months ago and I have met my goals of 180 minutes per week of exercise. In fact recently I have been able to increase it to 45 minutes per day. I have lost 22 pounds since I took that first pill. I did not stay on it as I don't really like to take pills and I do not believe that there is an easy way to do this except by watching what you eat and sweating for at least 30 minutes per day. I do however credit skinny fiber with getting me going.

The problem I am having now is that after 3 months I have hit a bit of a plateau. While I am aware that plateau's happen in weight loss, as they have happened in the past I find this time my motivation seems to be disipating as well. That is why I started reading these forums. I realize that I may be able to hang on to the desire to stay healthy and magage my disease better. I will say that I have seen phenomenal results in blood sugars and a significant reduction in the amount of insilun I need to take.

Replies

• kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss! That's amazing. :) I've had an account on MFP for over a year and I didn't start getting involved in the community until recently, and I absolutely love it! The community is great, and having friends that monitor your progress is definitely some added motivation, even on the days you really don't feel like doing anything. Add some people and stick around, it's really fun! Good luck. :) The important thing to remember about plateaus is that they pass! As long as you stick to it and maybe change up your workouts or diet a little, your body will start responding again.
    I'll send you an invite (and anyone else who is looking for friends for extra motivation, feel free to send me an invite as well) !!