Bananas??

Options
Should you avoid bananas when trying to lose weight? I heard because of their high sugar and starch level they aren't good for a weight loss plan

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    nope. good for you.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've read/heard mixed opinions over bananas but I've eaten 1 every morning for the past 6 months with my breakfast. I've lost 43lb since Jan 13, so having a banana per day hasn't stopped me losing the weight. I luuuuuv bananas :happy:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Barring some kind of health issue, no food is off limits, as long as you eat them with moderation. All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    They are great. They have a whole heap of vitamins and minerals and can be cheap depending on where you are . They can do have a few calories, but when you look at what you get out of a banana , they are a great use of calories.
  • DavidBrannigan
    Options
    Bananas a really good for you. Besides the sugar (which is fructose as opposed to sucrose or glucose), they are chock full of fibre and are high in potassium which is great for the funtion of your heart. 2 bananas can give you enough energy for a 90 minute workout.

Like all things, moderation is key. Many people believe that fruit is bad for you because of the sugar content (many "scientists" and "nutritionists" will agree), this is entirely incorrect. Fructose is a natural sugar and has not been processed (like all heavily processed foods (bread, grains, rice), our bodies don't like it), this means the body can process it properly. Again moderation, if you ate 20 pieces of fruit a day, along with your normal diet, you would put on weight.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love bananas, have one every day as they are also packed with goodies. Win win :wink:
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat loads! I've found snacking on them , putting them in smoothies baking them in oat biscuits and making them into ice cream, has helped my weight loss this year!
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above ... Good for you, keep you full and are delish !!!
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have the BEST workouts when I eat a banana about an hour before. Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like I could just workout forever after having a banana for breakfast. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone's obese because of ****in' bananas...

/sarcasm

Who comes up with this ****?
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE BANANAS! Just make sure to stay at a deficit if weight loss is your goal.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana a day. Most of the time I have it with a little sunflower seed butter spread on it. YUM!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ripe bananas are great. I eat one before every workout. Love banana's. They are full of potassium also which I like to help counteract the effects of occasional excess sodium.

But overly ripe bananas (mushy ones) are not so great. The starch in the banana has already started to covert to sugar and will cause an increase in blood sugar faster than if you eat a ripe or not so ripe banana. And who wants a mushy banana anyway.

Eat bananas but as with every food you eat, enjoy it in moderation.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love bananas! Eat one every day...
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana everyday. I dip them in peanut butter (1 tablespoon) for a snack. They're great :)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana most days, it hasn't stopped me losing weight. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Should you avoid bananas when trying to lose weight? I heard because of their high sugar and starch level they aren't good for a weight loss plan

93% of energy from carbs, so you're just eating sugars and starches as you say. 5g of glucose, 5 of fructose and 2.4 of sucrose per 100g along with 5.4g of starch and 2g of fiber. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

A reasonable mix of amino acids at a low level, good for potassium magnesium and manganese, Vitamins B-6 and C.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Besides the sugar (which is fructose as opposed to sucrose or glucose)

no it isn't
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    hi!!
    no! lol no, not at all. you should eat one before working out. it helps with cramping and gives you energy and they are high in potassium which is a wonderful thing lol
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat one daily, but only one. They are 100-110 calories and carb heavy, but nutritious. They're a great substitute for many sweets.