Good high protein breakfasts with no eggs?

Options
I don't eat eggs (out of aversion only) except in some baked goods like cookies, etc.
I find that I do best with a relatively high-protein/low-carb diet. Breakfast is a real challenge. I eat fruit, sometimes vegetables, sometimes cheese or avocados, and sometimes even steak or sausage. But I still don't have a go-to for busy mornings.

Any thoughts? I'm not completely against having some carbs early in the day and sometimes will have toast with avocado and tomato or hummus and tomato.

I'm just getting bored!

Replies

• shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt?
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yes, greek yogurt is a great suggestion and I eat mine with a half serving of granola. Does it need to be a breakfast food? You could eat cottage cheese with fruit or have some chicken with your avocado or whatever else you like. Hummus on toast or english muffin. Just some thoughts.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know how low carb you're going but I like Greek Yog with nuts. I add fruit but don't really need it. I also like oatcakes with either cream cheese or nut butter. Having said that someone on here once told me breakfast foods don't have to be eaten at breakfast. That's great advice. Have whatever you fancy!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    oatmeal
    protein drink (whey protein/oatmeal berries/yogurt combo)

if you can hack it, tofu versions of breakfast sausage
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Good old protein shake!

Some times I don't have time, or feel the need for something lighter then my usual porridge, and I go for a protein shake. They're pretty easy to make up and the good quality ones are low in carbs and have a good taste :3
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling like you have to eat traditional breakfast foods at traditional breakfast times. You want/need more protein? Have fish, chicken, beef, etc.

If you don't like that idea, what about a protein shake - 1-2 scoops of whey, a little milk and some fruit of choice.
  • Dixie2111
    Dixie2111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs (out of aversion only) except in some baked goods like cookies, etc.
    I find that I do best with a relatively high-protein/low-carb diet. Breakfast is a real challenge. I eat fruit, sometimes vegetables, sometimes cheese or avocados, and sometimes even steak or sausage. But I still don't have a go-to for busy mornings.

Any thoughts? I'm not completely against having some carbs early in the day and sometimes will have toast with avocado and tomato or hummus and tomato.

I'm just getting bored!
    sorry I have replies below as I haven't quite got the hang of these blasted posts! lol
    :explode:
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas:

1. berry smoothie [200ml greek yogurt, 100ml coconut water, 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes, 3 tbsp blueberries, 1tsp cinammon)

2. Proteinpancakes - if you can stand cooked egg [50gm oats, 100gm cottage cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tsp cinammon] , blend, cook 2 mins each side and serve with 1 tbsp maple syrup and blueberries

3. gluten free sprouted bread with smoked salmon and advocado

4. mackeral with rye bread

5. grilled figs, advocado and natural yogurt [ 1 fig, 1/2 advocado, 50ml natural / greek yogurt, 1 tbsp shelled pistachios]

Hope it helps!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I agree with jacksonpt, breakfast can be anything you want it to be. I love smoked sardines for breakfast, or chili. Both very high protein!
  • Dixie2111
    Dixie2111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm about to start my fourth week here and have so far lost 5lbs, and I am vegetarian so don't eat meat although I do take eggs and fish (so piscatarian I guess is nearer the description). I have a cooked breakfast some mornings as I find cereals alone do no keep me full for long enough and being diabetic I am also trying to regulate the carbs, (which play havoc on my glucose levels) and I needed to increase the proteins. So I have lots of sliced mushrooms (very low in calories), baby plum tomatoes and a Linda McCartney sausage or two all cooked in a teaspoon of rapeseed oil in a non stick frying pan (oil optional) and I find this very satisfying and this breakfast lasts me until around mid morning when I have a fruity snack. This also would make a lovely brunch or lunch meal too. Hope this helps!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Greek yogurt - I eat this every day for breakfast at work and it satisfys me for a few hours. On the week-ends, I usually have Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal. Another very filling breakfast.
  • zithan
    zithan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You mentioned having something for the busy mornings. Certainly the protein shake is an option, but also consider the low-carb protein bars. I don't think you will find too much variety in the typical shopping stores (wal-mart, target, etc). Personally, I go to GNC, but any health food store should have something for you. Buy one bar to see if you like it, but if you don't, try a different one.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Pancakes - I make regular buttermilk pancakes, substitute rolled oats and/o almond meal for some of the flour. I mix it the night before And cook in the morning. Or cook on a weekend and freeze.

Oatmeal

Yogurt alone or with fruit/nuts/oatmeal
  • laurelackerman
    Options
    Thanks everybody; some great ideas here. I don't know why I haven't been thinking of cottage cheese and greek yogurt; they are not my favorite things but I like them well enough and they would be perfect for times when I'm rushed.

I don't feel the need to eat only traditional "breakfast" foods in the morning, but I often end up eating breakfast at work and it weirds out my co-workers when I eat steak at 8:30AM :)
  • FoTime
    FoTime Posts: 21
    Options
    Lately I've been having:

1 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (mixed well with yogurt)
    1/2-1 cup frozen berries
    1/2oz granola
    1/2oz almonds

Around 500 cals & 55+ grams of protein.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    protein porridge, i love it!
    i use vanilla or cherry bakewell when my porridge is cooked, tastes lush and lots of protein
    or could add protein to a greek style yoghurt,
    not that healthy but cheese on toast, or cheese/ham toastie.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I get my non egg breakfasts delivered to my home by unicorn cart. Just eat the eggs and like it.

unicorn_1.jpg
    *full disclosure. Marketing Department for the Egg Council of America.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Thin steaks cook up quickly, quicker than protein powder pancakes, which are also fast and easy. I like kippered herring for breakfast.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausage is a good alternative that tastes pretty good.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been having:

1 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (mixed well with yogurt)
    1/2-1 cup frozen berries
    1/2oz granola
    1/2oz almonds

Around 500 cals & 55+ grams of protein.

Yep. I mix yogurt and protein powder all the time, late breakfast, lunch, dinner, doesn't matter. The vanilla powder makes it taste like cake frosting. If you want to leave out granola and almonds and berries, add a dash of cinnamon to the chocolate. That is GOOOOOOOOD.